Smoking ban gone mad - cumfray1
Just seen on the news (BBC Scotland) that from March 22nd the Scottish Executive have said that smoking in lorry cabs will be banned in Scotland as a lorry cab has been deemed to be a public place. Now being in the unfortunate position of being both, this has got me a little bit steamy behind the ears. Since when was a lorry cab a public place, 99% of truckers aint allowed passengers for insurance purposes, for most truckers it's their home 5/6 days a week & you don't let Joe Bloggs just walk through your house do you. I have never heard of such nonsense in all my life & irrespective if you are or against smoking don't you think that this is a ban too far. Just think if you are a smoker, that this ban could very well be coming to include cars in the not too distant future.
It also includes White van man & FARMERS

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4677850.stm for full details
Smoking ban gone mad - Lud
It may be the law but it's carp. Ignore it (at your peril of course). I will risk imprisonment for inciting everyone to do so. If you are considering taking up smoking, or resuming it, now is the moment.
I wonder if they will install a wee shed along with an attendant at the border, who will take you're cigs & reg number, you tell him when you will be passing south, grab your ticket & collect your cigs on the way back.
Smoking ban gone mad - mss1tw
It may be the law but it's carp. Ignore it (at
your peril of course). I will risk imprisonment for inciting everyone
to do so. If you are considering taking up smoking, or
resuming it, now is the moment.

I'm sure lordy will support you on that 110%. ;-P
Smoking ban gone mad - mare
If smoker alone in cab - up to them

If someone else in the cab who doesn't smoke, why should they have to suffer? Examples of sharing would be utilities companies e.g. Transco have two guys per van, or removal lorries where the whole gang share the cab.

A blanket ban is a bit daft though. Surely stubbing out if someone objects should be ample, with the back up of enforcement.

I speak as someone who used to share a Portacabin on site with a guy who smoked roll-ups. I have never "actively" smoked in my life, but i must have had the equivalent of 10 a day sat in the office with him. Disgusting!
Smoking ban gone mad - codefarm
Utterly, completely, bonkers.
Smoking ban gone mad - L'escargot
Even though I don't smoke (any more!) I agree that this one is OTT. What used to make me smile was that my final employer used to have "ashtrays" screwed to the wall outside the main outside doors! I've not seen this anywhere else ~ but I'm sure others have.
--
L\'escargot.
Smoking ban gone mad - Tomo
Typical Scotch left wing illiberal notion. John Knox strikes again.
Smoking ban gone mad - Robin Reliant
There was also a report on the radio that a council in Scotland, Edinburgh I think, was going to ban smoking at bus shelters.
Smoking ban gone mad - Pugugly {P}
If tobacco was discovered this year it would in all probability be a class C drug.
Smoking ban gone mad - David Horn
There was also a report on the radio that a council
in Scotland, Edinburgh I think, was going to ban smoking at
bus shelters.

About time, too. Why should I stand in the rain in order to avoid smoke being breathed in my face?
>> There was also a report on the radio that a
council
>> in Scotland, Edinburgh I think, was going to ban smoking
at
>> bus shelters.
>>
About time, too. Why should I stand in the rain
in order to avoid smoke being breathed in my face?

I'm afraid I can't resist. How often do you stand in a bus shelter in Edinburgh?
--
L\'escargot.
Smoking ban gone mad - wemyss
There will be one area where they will absolutely and definitely be afraid to impose any ban and that is in HM Prisons.
Even if not only the PC Brigade , but the H&S Executive and the County Chief Fire Officer recommended such a ban the Government would back off.
I was involved with discussions on this subject some years ago and it was considered a recipe for riots and worse.
I expect the claim lawyers will have a field day in the future.
I wonder where MPs go for a smoke whenever they manage to attend Parliament.
Smoking ban gone mad - NowWheels
I wonder where MPs go for a smoke whenever they manage
to attend Parliament.

Pretty much all of the Palace of Westminster was a smoking zone twenty years ago: the corridors, the bars, dining areas, even the committee rooms. Now there's hardly any smoking areas left.

With the way things have gone, ministers ae probably not even allowed to smoke in their ministerial cars.
Smoking ban gone mad - Manatee
I'm afraid I can't resist. How often do you stand in
a bus shelter in Edinburgh?
--
L\'escargot.

Never - he can't stand the smoke...
Smoking ban gone mad - David Horn
>> >> There was also a report on the radio that
a
>> council
>> >> in Scotland, Edinburgh I think, was going to ban
smoking
>> at
>> >> bus shelters.
>> >>
>>
>> About time, too. Why should I stand in the
rain
>> in order to avoid smoke being breathed in my face?
>>
I'm afraid I can't resist. How often do you stand in
a bus shelter in Edinburgh?
--
L\'escargot.

Never, I'm afraid. But chances are if it's implemented there it'll spread to the rest of the country, including Leeds, where I use buses on a daily basis. Don't you use buses, or do you consider them fit only for the scum of society?
Don't you use
buses, or do you consider them fit only for the scum
of society?

Not at all, buses are full of people whose bodies are perforce temples if only for the moment. The scum of society drives about in cars where it can have a cigaretten whenever it feels like it.
Don't you use
buses, or do you consider them fit only for the scum
of society?

I should be so lucky! I live in the sticks and we have neither trains nor buses.
--
L\'escargot.
Smoking ban gone mad - Stuartli
Believe it or not, but the car smoking ban has already arrived in my area...:-)

Several local hospitals have either had, or just launched, a complete smoking ban not only in the hospital buildings (sensible) but also in the grounds - and that includes no smoking in vehicles whilst they are in the grounds.

Barmy isn't the word. We are becoming more and more a totalitarian state with the lunatics running the asylum without, it would seem, any real public protests.

In fact apathy reigns.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Several local hospitals have either had, or just launched, a complete
smoking ban not only in the hospital buildings (sensible) but also
in the grounds - and that includes no smoking in vehicles
whilst they are in the grounds.

If that applied to the car exhausts too, I could see some logic to it. Otherwise it is, as you say, barmy.

Pump smoke out back of your car = OK
Emit a little smoke inside your car = banned
Smoking ban gone mad - mjm
They can't police the no mobile phone law, no tailgating, no breaking speed limits, careless driving etc. It will be just another law which will be treated with contept, and any enforcement will just cause the police/public relationship to deteriorate further.
Yup. One of many downsides of the nanny state mentality, politicians who can't bear to see anything without monkeying with it.
Smoking ban gone mad - ffidrac {P}

I had the 'pleasure' of a simillar ban a few years ago:
Hospital security chap knocked on the window of my car and told me to 'put it out'
I replied "You pay the me the cost of the car, road tax, fuel, carpark charge and insurance and I will put it out"

He walked off muttering
The libatarian in me wants to take up smoking...however as a partner in a company whose hard earned goes on building maintainence, we banned smoking in our buildings around 10 years ago, this has reduced the cost of re-decoration dramatically (once every year was the norm more like tri-annual now), the place smells better and has considrably reduced the fire risk and we have now stopped workers smoking outside doors (and within building perimeters) It certainly looks a lot better than it used to.
Smoking ban gone mad - doug_r1
Speaking as someone who every day has to dodge lit cigarettes thrown carelessly out of car/lorry windows, I'm quite happy with the ban. If smokers showed one iota of consideration for those around them then we wouldn't need these measures.
>>Speaking as someone who every day has to dodge lit cigarettes thrown carelessly out of car/lorry windows,>>

Oh come on...

Every day?

Pull the other one..:-)
Smoking ban gone mad - Navara Van man
Once again yet another infringment of liberty and needles waste of time. Presumably this will be a fineable ofence.

UTTER RUBBISH AND MYSELF A NON SMOKER
Smoking ban gone mad - stevied
Infringement of needles? Shome mishtake surely? : )
Smoking ban gone mad - carl_a
>>If smokers showed one iota of consideration for those around
them then we wouldn't need these measures.

>>

Absolutely agree doug_r1, smokers should realise the reasons these laws are coming in.

If as a smoker you stand outside a door smoking, dropping fags on the floor and out of car window, is there any wonder people moan ?

Smoking should be banned in all public areas, and in any form of transportation, liberals might not like it but it will happen and I hope very soon.
>>If smokers showed one iota of consideration for those around
>> them then we wouldn't need these measures.
Absolutely agree doug_r1, smokers should realise the reasons these laws are
coming in.

Then let us smoke inside like we used to do ;)
Smoking ban gone mad - JockyWilson
Speaking as someone who every day has to dodge lit cigarettes
thrown carelessly out of car/lorry windows, I'm quite happy with the
ban. If smokers showed one iota of consideration for those around
them then we wouldn't need these measures.

I agree with the sentiment here that fag ends shouldn't be thrown out of windows (speaking as someone who caught a discarded end full in the face with an open face helmet and bears scars to prove it) but I can't see any good reason for banning it other than in shared vehicles.
Smoking ban gone mad - cockle {P}

Ours has gone further, staff are banned from smoking whilst in uniform or in any way identifiable as staff wherever they are and the ban extends to their own vehicles when being used on their way to and from work or on any official business.

As for smoking around buildings, my wife's company has banned all employees from smoking within a 100 yard radius of their front door. Had the stupid situation of being approached, about six months ago when I still smoked, by their security because I was standing outside the building on the public pavement smoking while talking to my wife before she went into work and being told that I would be reported to 'management'. He got quite upset when I explained that I was quite happy for him to report me to my manager for smoking on a public pavement but first of all he would have to identify who I work for and that I didn't think my manager would particularly care one jot. He got even more upset when I asked him whether he thought it was good for his health to approach members of the public in the street in that manner as the area is one which is well known for its collection of rather 'boisterous' characters. Apparently he has now given up approaching people after one of the 'locals' produced a weapon and relieved him of his wallet and mobile in broad daylight.

I also understand that the Scots are talking about a ban in public parks and within 100 yards of a school entrance, if they're going to ban smoking then they should just get on and do it and take the electoral consequences, if any, rather than this death of a thousand cuts. Having said that I wonder what the price of fuel will be once they have no tobacco tax income?
Smoking ban gone mad - Tomo
"Don't you use buses, or do you consider them fit only for the scum of society?"

That's actually two questions.

1) No.

2) Yes, mainly. Unfortunately, others are compelled to use them sometimes.
Down here Bus Shelters have become ad hoc youth shelters with more evil things than smoking filter tips in them, presumably these are banned as well, doesn't seem to make a difference.
Smoking ban gone mad - Navara Van man
Do I use buses..... Only on the rare ocasions I go into london and have no choice.

Do you consider buses to be used by societys dregs... mostly but most definately the majority do not do so out of choce.
Smoking ban gone mad - Imagos
Now do you drive and smoke at the same time in your truck?

No different than talking on a mobile phone and that's banned.

Red lorry yellow lorry, repeat until bored....
Smoking ban gone mad - quizman
I agree with Simon Heffer's remarks on smoking in saturday's Telegraph.

Smoking ban gone mad - eProf
Now do you drive and smoke at the same time in your truck? No different than talking on a mobile phone and that's banned.

Dear me! I had no idea that smoking a cigarette was so complicated! I don't use a mobile in the car as it gets in the way of my pipe.
Now do you drive and smoke at the same time in
your truck?
No different than talking on a mobile phone and that's banned.

My ciggie doesn't have fifteen buttons, and it doesn't have a screen to look at. It doesn't ask me questions and it doesn't talk back to me, and it doesn't startle me with loud noises.

I don't smoke when driving, but no way is a cigarette as distracting as a mobile phone.
Smoking ban gone mad - Adam {P}
Do you actually snoke at all NW?
Do you actually snoke at all NW?

Yes :(
>> Do you actually snoke at all NW?
Yes :(

or rather, I don't snoke, but I do smoke
Smoking ban gone mad - Adam {P}
That actually really surprises me. Nothing meant by that - it just....surprises me.

And now I'll go and let this seamlessly fall back onto motoring.
Smoking ban gone mad - carl_a
I don't smoke when driving, but no way is a cigarette
as distracting as a mobile phone.

For those that do smoke while driving, don't you think a fire at the end of a stick is extremely dangerous. Drop a mobile and no harm is done, drop a cigarette and the car can catch on fire.
>>drop a cigarette and the car can catch on fire.>>

It would have to be in exceptional circumstances.

Smoking in a car and using a mobile are so vastly different they cannot be compared.

A cigarette doesn't stop you concentrating on the road and the ash can be flicked out of a partially open window - a phone takes up virtually all your attention because you are involved in a conversation.

Driving is difficult enough these days, especially with the ever rising volume of traffic, without having a mobile clamped to your ear.

Even more annoying is that a hands-free kit can be acquired very reasonably.
Smoking ban gone mad - BeeBee
A cigarette doesn't stop you concentrating on the road and the
ash can be flicked out of a partially open window -

Flicking ash out of an open window is irresponsible:
1. In the summer, it can cause forest fires
2. At night, it's distracting to following drivers
3. What is your ashtray for?

Also, as others have already posted, if you need to, you can drop a mobile phone and no harm will come to you. If you drop a cigarette, that is bad.

If mobile phones are banned, the same should apply to cigarettes. Ban either both, or neither.

BB
< 1. In the summer, it can cause forest fires
2. At night, it's distracting to following drivers
3. What is your ashtray for?

a) Cigarette ash would never cause any form of fire.

b) How can flocking ash out of a car window been distracting to following drivers at night?

c) Most ashtrays are poorly situated (my car, for example, has it right behind the gear lever).

I've smoke for approximately 39 years whilst driving - I've only ever once dropped a ciggy (the car came to now harm due to a rubber mat) - and never had any problems whilst doing so. Practice makes perfect I support, although the old quarter-lights were a boon..

But there's absoultely no way I would drive whilst holding a mobile phone conversation and that would also apply to the hands-free alternative.

What's more, if the driver in front or behind me is using a phone then I usually manage to stop him or her doing so very quickly.

But I'm not going into any details of just how it is achieved.
>>Practice makes perfect I support, although>>

Should read: ...Practice makes perfect I suppose, although...
And you've never once got smoke in your eye, or been distracted, if even briefly, by ash (Hot or cold) blowing about the place or onto your clothes?

Hmmm...

Before I quit I decided smoking in the car was more trouble than it was worth.
And you've never once got smoke in your eye, or been distracted, if even briefly, by ash (Hot or cold) blowing about the place or onto your clothes?>>

No. I always have the fan on full blast and the driver's window about a third open to create a through flow of air.

This prevents the type of incidents to which you refer...:-)

Mind you, since I got my latest car, I've not smoked as much whilst driving....
Smoking ban gone mad - Robert J.
Surely lighting the things must mean you are focusing your eyes on the cigarette end and not the road, albeit briefly. Cannot be safe in my opinion. In fact, thinking about it, how do you get them out of the packet and light a match whilst maintaining control of the car?
Surely lighting the things must mean you are focusing your eyes
on the cigarette end and not the road, albeit briefly. Cannot
be safe in my opinion. In fact, thinking about it, how
do you get them out of the packet and light a
match whilst maintaining control of the car?

Never used matches, but a lighter was hard enough...
Smoking ban gone mad - sierraman
'
But there's absoultely no way I would drive whilst holding a mobile phone conversation and that would also apply to the hands-free alternative.
'

So does that mean you would not converse with passengers?I don't see how there can be a difference.In fact,thinking of the times I have followed a vehicle where the driver deems it necessary to keep looking at their passenger while they talk to them,I would say that is more dangerous than a hands free phone conversation.
>>So does that mean you would not converse with passengers?>>

Although I prefer that passengers don't hold lengthy conversations (in fact I much prefer to travel on my own!), a passenger usually knows instinctively when to stop speaking if events ahead warrent it.
Smoking ban gone mad - Wally Zebon
Typical Scotch left wing illiberal notion. John Knox strikes again.

The last time I checked Scotch was Whisky!

My Fiance has been working on selling smoking shelters to local firms in the run up to this impending ban.

The reason you cannot smoke in your lorry cab (or your company car for that matter) is that it is deemed to be an enclosed area within a place of work. I suspect that the reasoning behind it all is that if another (non smoking) employee was to drive the vehicle then they could be deemed to be forced to work in a smoking environment.

Companies are being forced either to provide a smoking area outdoors (hence the sale of shelters) or to ban smoking from their site. In the case of company vehicles, it is a bit difficult to erect a shelter outside, so the law just bans smoking in them. If you want a fag then pull over and get out. It's as easy as that.

>>If you want a fag then pull over and get out. It's as easy as that.>>

Not on the M6 it ain't...:-)
Smoking ban gone mad - artful dodger {P}
May be car, van and lorry manufacturers should stop fitting cigar lighters immediately!!!!!!!!!!

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
When I smoked I had more 'moments' with a cigarette than a phone, so my own opinion is that a cigarette is more dangerous.

Smoke in the eyes, ash in the eyes, cherry falling off, fag dropping out of mouth...etc...

Drop the phone and it's on free minutes and insured, who cares.
May be car, van and lorry manufacturers should stop fitting cigar lighters immediately!!!!!!!!!!

BMW stopped doing so years ago. Some Fords I've recently driven had an outlet and no lighter, just a flap over 'ole saying 12V Power or something.
Itsa quaint British thing, calling them Cigar Lighters even in the omost basic motor where no self respecting cigar smoker would be seen dead in. (except a hearse IFYKWIM)
Smoking ban gone mad - sierraman
Have they stopped fitting ashtrays too?Havn't thought to look for them when glancing in new cars.Recall a colleague complaining she could not charge her phone in her Micra due to lack of C/L.
Re subject,I think you could be done for smoking whilst driving in the same way people have been for eating Kitkats etc.,and no bad thing due to smoke in eyes,burning yourself,but a total ban is more lunacy and probably unenforceable.
Especially whe you find a neat ciggy burn on a car seat.
Smoking ban gone mad - wobblyboot
I vaguely remember a case where some one was successfully prosecuted for having a dangerous dog without a muzzle in a car. The judge ruled that the inside of a car was a public place. So does this mean that car drivers can't smoke in Scotland?
Smoking ban gone mad - Robin Reliant
It is interesting how all the first moves on smoking bans, such as the Scot's one on lorry cabs, come from local goverments and regional assemblies rather than Westminster. Those elected onto those bodies are generally too stupid to get elected to parliament so have to wait for the local polls where only those with nothing else to do actually vote. After getting into office they find they have been given no real power because the government realises they are mostly insane control freaks and cannot be trusted, so to satisfy there lust for bossing people around and interfering they have to ban whatever pursuits thay can and paint meaningless lines on the road that cause traffic jams.

Democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Steady on. Local government does get to spend money on those white lines, speed bumps and other baleful constructions. Percentages for one and all if they're that way inclined. Just look around you, and listen. And anyone remember T. Dan Smith and others?

Only in America... and we're all Americans now.
Smoking ban gone mad - smokie
I was in the car gagging for a fag the other day but I couldn't find my lighter. I have 5 sockets in my car due to power requirements of phones, iPods, iPod radio, TomTom etc etc. It never occurred to me to use the cigar lighter.

Does anyone really use them for their intended purpose?
Difficult to use, capable of pulling the lighted end off a cigarette and dropping it in your lap, for emergencies only.
My Bora has a cigar lighter socket in the boot...:-)
Smoking ban gone mad - Dynamic Dave
My Bora has a cigar lighter socket in the boot...:-)

If it's like the one for the rear passengers in my Vectra, it's actually an accessory socket and you'll find a cigar lighter won't actually fit it as the outer circumference of the socket is marginally smaller than the lighter.
>>If it's like the one for the rear passengers in my Vectra, it's actually an accessory socket and you'll find a cigar lighter won't actually fit it as the outer circumference of the socket is marginally smaller than the lighter.>>

It was actually meant as a joke...:-)

I find it handy for charging up my rechargeable batteries for use with a digital camera if I'm at a social event or away from home.

The charging time is the same as with mains use.
Smoking ban gone mad - The Lawman
This is a simple demonstration of the real ratioale behind the smoking ban.

We are told that the ban has been implimented to protect non-smokers from second smoke, whether in the workplace or in any other public space.

That may be true. The real reason though is that the gov wants to make it more and more difficult (and eventually illegal) for anyone to smoke at all. Hence bizarre rules like this one.

These rules are not motivated by a desire to protect non-smokers. They are promoted by a desire to stop us from being unhealthy. The county is slowly turning into one great big Hi de Hi camp, and Blair is yellowcoat in chief.
These rules are not motivated by a desire to protect non-smokers.
They are promoted by a desire to stop us from being
unhealthy. The county is slowly turning into one great big Hi
de Hi camp, and Blair is yellowcoat in chief.

Quite so, dammit. But speaking as a longtime dweller in the real inner city, Lawman, I think I can promise that we will be able to cope. There's always round behind the bike sheds.
Smoking ban gone mad - PhilW
"a desire to stop us from being unhealthy"
And if they had the courage of their convictions they could make the sale of tobacco products illegal and bung the "tax loss" onto petrol. Now, that would be a popular choice wouldn't it? - and ensure re-election?
--
Phil