Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Adam {P}

{This was originally posted in Technical Matters, but looking at some of the replies, it would be better suited to the discussion forum. DD}

I've just been out on my customary lunch run to the pie shop and noticed a strange thing in the car.

I backed out of the drive, started moving off and heard a really loud "BONG" noise. By bong I mean an electronic chime type noise. Only did it once and the car drove ok for the 5 minutes I was in it.

I know the manual inside out and it doesn't mention a bonging noise for anything bar leaving the lights on or reprogramming a key.

Anyone any ideas?

Car details added to subject header. DD
Funny "BONG" noise - mss1tw
Trevor McDonald upgrade?
Funny "BONG" noise - Adam {P}
No - it wasn't 10 o'clock when it happened ;-)
Funny "BONG" noise - mss1tw
:^D

Was it definately an eletronic noise?
Funny "BONG" noise - BeeBee
I thought it and he typed it!

--
BB, who should know better than to post when drunk.
Funny "BONG" noise - sierraman
Couple of surfers on the back seat?;)
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Victorbox
I see in the manual that my new Zafira will go "bong, bong" if I drive off with the handbrake still on, so perhaps you have something similar???
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - mss1tw
The handbrake on my 306 sticks sometimes, but it's more of a bang/thud as I drive off.
The bong noise is absolutely positively electronic.

If you leave the lights on it goes "Bong. Bong. Bong." and it was like that only a lot louder and only "bonged" once.

It's never done it before at all so I don't think it's anything like the handbrake - it's not that fancy - it's only a Ford!

No warning lights or anything. I'm not too worried about it because like I said, it's the first time it's done it and the car drove ok.

If it does it again tomorrow, I'll start worrying!

Thanks for your help.
Must've been an electrical gremlin (Technical term).
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - J1mbo
Did you by any chance have something heavy on the front passenger seat or even on the back seats??
Nope - It's not fitted with seatbelt warning chimes either if that's what you're thinking. I don't think. I think it's just 2.0l models that have that.

I'm still hoping it's an electrical gremlin!

Thanks.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Altea Ego
Its the "Get that fat B* off the drivers seat before he eats any more pies" warning chime.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I never made that connection RF but you could well be right.

Sounds like the car's finally had enough!
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - psi
Hi,
My Focus also does this. When the fuel reaches reserve (50 miles range in tank) it beeps once. Also at 25 miles. Also at 10 miles.
It will also beep once if the outside temperature reaches under 5 degrees C (and the amber frost light will appear next to the windscreen washer level warning light)
Hi psi but I'm willing to bet you have a 2.0 Ghia with Fuel computer?

Sadly, Ford in their wisdom decided that all other Ghia models didn't deserve this so where you have a computer, I have a coin tray and as such, have no frost warning lights or even washer level warning lights.

It's crazy - my N reg Fiesta had all these but hey - that's Ford for you.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - cheddar
Adam the 1.8 may not have the fuel computer of the 2.0 though it might still have the 50/25 mile bongs.
Sorry to dismiss everyone's suggestions but I don't think it does Cheddar.

I frequently run the car on the light for miles and miles and hear nothing. Besides which, I stuck 20 quid in yesterday.

Don't forget we've had the car from new and it's never once done this. I'm leaning towards it being some sort of gremlin rather than a specific fault.

Thanks for the continued help.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - mfarrow
Any fault codes logged in the dash?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Just 9202 which is a fuel sender fault apparently.

Been there the life of the car though. Drives fine, gauge works, never bothered looking into it.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - mrmender
Are you sure you hav'nt got a microwave in the car ready for them pies!
You students and your 'bongs'.

Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - helicopter
Talking of funny 'Bong'noises - a bit off topic but a few years ago I drove into a garage past some roadworkers putting a new pipeline along the roadside.There were a crowd of hard hats standing chatting around a pickup in a corner of the forecourt about 5 yards or so behind me as I started to fill up.

I was in a little world of my own when all of a sudden there was an almighty BONNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG behind me so sudden loud and close I nearly jumped over the car.

It was like standing in the bell tower beside Big Ben striking .... but completely unexpected.A real brown trouser moment.

When I picked myself off the ceiling and turned around I saw the cause of it - the workmen had no crane so they had levered an 8 x 4 ft inch thick steel plate off the back of their truck and just let it fall onto the concrete forecourt a couple of yards away.

I can laugh about it now but I'm glad I didn't have a weak heast.
A microwave! That isn't a bad idea!!!

Anyway - just been out in it and it drives as good as ever. If anything it sounded a bit more growly - like a V6 but I think it's because it's so cold as it sounded more normal on the way home.

No bongs - electronic or otherwise.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post back if there are any new developments.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Altea Ego
Adam - you are precious!

Any more of what you are smoking? I am sure my VW 1.9PdI sounds growly, does that mean its a V6?

Oh and does it Bong!

Bong! Temperature has dropped below 4.0dc
Bong! Please fill up
Bong! Pre set speed warning exeeded
Bong! Door open (tho not rear hatch - dont care about that I shall just stop the rear wiper working)
Bong Bong Bong Bong! Lights left on
Bong Bong Bong Bong! seat belt not on

I am thinking of putting a Bongo Frendee logo on the back!

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Bill Payer
Bong! Temperature has dropped below 4.0dc

I drove my daughter's Seat Ibiza today and got the low temp bong - Jeez, it's loud! Are all VAG cars like that?

I guessed what it was, but it isn't obvious, and I can imagine it really scaring some people into thinking the car has a fault.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Stargazer {P}
>> Bong! Temperature has dropped below 4.0dc
I drove my daughter's Seat Ibiza today and got the low
temp bong - Jeez, it's loud! Are all VAG cars
like that?

My Passat is that loud...but only when the temp drops below 4C
while driving, if it is already below 4C when you start the car you just get the friendly warning symbol.

Also nearly gave me a heart attack as I was in the middle of a tricky roundabout.
I knew it sounded stupid the minute I pressed the post button.

LIKE a V6. There was just a hint of a growl. I'm willing to retract those comments and say for a few cold minutes, it sounded like it had more cylinders.

Is that ok?!
My last car used to that. Only pulling out the driveway, literally for no longer than that, it would sound as Adam describes. Must be something to do with the cold fuelling. It also felt 'crisper' too which would also make sense if it's running rich.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - cheddar
Bong! All audible warnings disabled, er nearly.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - NowWheels
It bonged 'cos it was upset that you had ratted on your offer to let it go and live with me. :)
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Avant
A piece of exhaust falling off, which is why it sounds growly now.

Or just a very old stale pie rattling around in the boot.

Definitely a last chance saloon.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - bell boy
sounds dangerous to me all this bonging get shut Adam {P} and get a nice almera.

--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - andymc {P}
Evidently, you drove over a busking timpanist. Turn yourself in before you get banged up.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - L'escargot
Adamski,

The way you drive, it's probably an indication that it's in pain!
--
L\'escargot.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Round The Bend
Are you sure it was n't a stone or chip being whizzed up at force onto the exhaust and the resonance giving the full tubular bells effect?

By chip I don't mean one of those that accompanied the pie!
_______
IanS
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Big Bad Dave
All worrying bongs, groans, knocks, creaks and rattles can be rectified by cranking the stereo up to eleven.
Ho ho ho - hilarious replies. You should all go on standup ;-)

Definitely electronic, definitely not chips of any kind, and definitely not in my head!

I'm going to Uni soon so if something's wrong, it'll undoubtedly happen again.

Failing that, I'll adopt Dave's method of turning the stereo up. Who'd have thought Led Zeppelin would actually make good music AND fix faults? Genius.

Thanks again for all the...*ahem*...help ;-)

Adam

Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - L'escargot
Is it a "bong" or a "yelp"? ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Stuartli
My VW Bora "bongs" when the temperature falls to 5 degrees or less and on each subsequent temperature rise or fall, if a service is due shortly (lists number of miles to go), low fuel level, door or boot open or ajar etc, etc.

Could be any one of such things.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - Mapmaker
>{This was originally posted in Technical Matters, but
>looking at some of the replies, it would be better suited to
>the discussion forum. DD}

More like in the joke section, or perhaps after liberal use of a moderatorial delete button! :)

Funny "BONG" noise from my Focus - s.a.k.r
My mondeo bongs when you re start the car while the fuel guage is low. If you are driving and the fuel gauge drops into the red there is no noise.