Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - bazza1603
Hi,

Trying to get owner feedback on the Fiat Diesel engine in the Astra. I know on paper it looks faster and quicker than the basic 1.7 CDTI engine, but whats it like to drive?

Does anyone understand why its got a six speed gear box? Is there a point?

I am not looking at replacing until June or July, but would jump now if a good deal comes along hence the reason to do my home work without test driving one.

I would look at a Hatchback or maybe estate even. I am also looking at Focuses but have heard horror stories about diesel MPG figures.

My wifes current car is a 04 Peugeot 206 1.4S Estate, but I hate it and want something a little more comfortable to drive when I need to.

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards

Baz

Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - Dynamic Dave
I thought the 1.7 CDTi was also a Fiat unit.

The 1.7 also has 10 bhp more than the 1.3 as well.

Unable to look at the specs on the Vauxhall site at the moment as an error keeps getting thrown up.
Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - cheddar
I thought the 1.7 CDTi was also a Fiat unit.

IIRC the 1.7 is a development of the Izuzu unit.
Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - cheddar
>>I would look at a Hatchback or maybe estate even. I
am also looking at Focuses but have heard horror stories about
diesel MPG figures.

What stories? The 1.6TDCi is the Ford PSA unit. 90 or 110ps in the Focus, the latter pretty quick, 55-60mpg if driven gently, average over 50. The older 115ps 1.8 engine is also available, not to be dismissed, very refined, and the 136ps 2.0 Ford/PSA unit is very punchy and will give an average around 48 mpg.
Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - Blue {P}
Over at Ford Focus Owners Club there's a LOT of us complaining about appalling MPG from TDCi units both old and new.

There are quite a few people reporting MPG of just late 30's from their TDCi Focus's. Indeed my aunt's Cmax 1.6 TDCi is averaging just 35mpg!!!

My own gets around 38mpg on a regular basis. It seems to stem from a bad software update that Ford put out, when it was installed on mine I saw an instant drop in MPG. We're desperately praying that the latest update due in March will fix all of the issues introduced by the previous updates.

On the plus side, those with good models tend to see the fantastic figures that you mentioned Cheddar, but sadly, there's a lot of us who don't!

P.S. Moral of the story - unless your car is absoloutely stuffed, don't allow Ford to "fix" it with a software upgrade!

Blue
Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - Ruperts Trooper
There are lots of complaints about inability to get even close to Govt fuel consumption figures with the Ford Focus, both diesel and petrol.

It's been suggested that Ford's figures are even less accurate than other manufacturers but it's virtually impossible to get accurate statistics. The anecdotal evidence seems to be quite strong, though.

Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - Victorbox
This press release is a little old now, but it seems you get more torque with the 1.3 over the 1.7 www.vauxhallheritage.com/Articles/wk05-16/050421_a...p
Astra 1.3 Diesel. Any one driven one? - bazza1603
Hi,

Someone via a friend bought a Focus 1.6 TDCI to use for his new a driving instructor business and is worried as he is only able to get mpg around the 40 mark. The garage told him it was normal during run in and would improve to the high 50 mark. So far it hasnot improved.

I saw in "Car" magazine about a long term report on a petrol focus 1.6 Titanium that was only getting less than 30MPG on a run.

Best regards

Barry