Missing service - spambo
I'm considering a Sep04 Volvo V70 D5 Diesel with 25k miles from a main dealer. Looks a very good price, bar one detail. It didn't have a service at 12k - it just had a Volvo service at 24.9k and isn't due another for 11 months.

Two questions really: 1. Will the lack of servicing from Sep04-Dec05 affect the engine long term? 2. Will the missing service stamp affect value at trade-in (in 2-3 years time)?

Thanks in advance.
Missing service - Quinny100
Are you sure it was never serviced, or could it have been serviced and the book not been stamped?

Was the last service carried out by the supplying dealer? If so they probably never got the service book with the car and have started a new one and stamped it when they serviced the car.

Very few people would buy a new car at the price a new V70 goes for and not bother getting it serviced, but many do leave the book at home and bin the invoice. I wouldn't worry, but I'd check the warranty status on the car before buying.
Missing service - spambo
Thanks for the reply.

The car is on sale/return from Volvo itself, so I'm surprised they didn't ensure service interval was enforced by the rep/manager who drove it. I haven't seen the service document - just what I've been told over the phone.

It will have a 2 year Approved Used warranty.
Missing service - Xileno {P}
If it has missed a service, I wouldn't touch it. But I'm sure there's a simple explanation, as has been said it's an expensive car, no-one of sane mind would skip a service and in the process invalidate the warranty.
Missing service - spambo
Thanks for your comments.

I don't think the dealer can find out any more from the source - even if it is Volvo! I can envisage a scenario where a Very Important Volvo Manager just couldn't be bothered to take it in for a service. ;-)

The price is £2k-2.5k less than other, almost identical models from other main dealers. Does this anticipate the reduced value without the full service history perhaps?
A high tech turbocharged common rail diesel going 25K before an oil change?

My money's staying in my pocket.
Missing service - Happy Blue!
If the Volvo warranty remains valid, then I don't see the problem. If the car suffers a problem as a result of the lack of service (if indeed it was lacking) then it will probably materialise before the warranty expires. Just make sure that you look after the car properly yourself.

It's not unknown for such sale and return cars to be serviced but not documented in the service book.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Missing service - P 2501
>>A high tech turbocharged common rail diesel going 25K before >>an oil change?

Isn't that what some diesel Audis, VWs and some other makes do before an oil change on these "long interval" service plans anyway?

Personally i think there is too great a choice of second hand motors out there with flawless service history to justify accepting a patchy service history.

Unless its really cheap.
Missing service - spambo
>>A high tech turbocharged common rail diesel going 25K before >>an
oil change?
Isn't that what some diesel Audis, VWs and some other makes
do before an oil change on these "long interval" service plans
anyway?
Personally i think there is too great a choice of second
hand motors out there with flawless service history to justify accepting
a patchy service history.
Unless its really cheap.

FWIW the new Volvo D5 Euro IV diesel has an 18k service interval (but not the model I'm considering).

I haven't found there are too many cars to choose from - - perhaps I'm too selective?!
Examples: Dec04 28k £19.5k, Nov04 24k £19k and this one: Sep04 25k £18k. This one also has extras (Winter Pack & integrated phone)
Missing service - spambo
It's not unknown for such sale and return cars to be
serviced but not documented in the service book.
--

Not being picky, but what do you base this on? Can I press the dealer to find some unofficial paperwork - and would it be worth the paper it's written on? SWT.
Find out where the car has been since it was new. If it was serviced, a Volvo dealer will have some record somewhere. The stamp in the book is irrelevant if there is a computer or accounts record of a service taking place.

When I had a lease car, the service book was never stamped, but the leasing company would sell the cars later with a full computer print out of everything done to the car including the minor things at each service.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Missing service - spambo
Ah - many thanks for the tip. I'll ask the question.
Missing service - Marc
I was thinking something similar. I thought most manufacturers would have centralised service databases, I'm pretty sure Vauxhall and Toyota do ie you tap in the reg no and it brings up all the service, warranty and recall work the car has had done within the franchised dealer network. Surely Volvo must have something similar and if the service is not listed there then it never had one.

If it did have a first service then the dealer should at least be able to print out a copy invoice and possibly get the service book stamped as well

If it has missed it's first service then it probably will have an effect on resale value if you're planning on only keeping the car a few years. If it's a long term proposition for you then judge the car on its merits
Missing service - mss1tw
OT but does anyone know if Peugeot have a central system that would have this info? Same reason as OP (Except I bought the car anyway as it seemed OK :^D )
Missing service - Andrew-T
"Does anyone know if Peugeot have a central system that would have this info?"

If we are talking nearly-new (i.e.within warranty), in my experience the original selling dealer (usually identifiable from a reg.plate if nowhere else) will supply on request a copy of any service history they have. Don't know if Peugeot can do this centrally - they may do.
Missing service - Marc
On SWMBO's RAV4, Toyota dealer wouldn't provide me with copy invoices of previous services due to data protection (of the previous owner presumably). I only had a stamped up book.

I wrote to the previous owner and he sent the invoices to me anyway. Dealer was only prepared to confirm verbally that the services had been carried out and what was done.

If I had bought the car from the main dealer I would have insisted he gave me copy invoices as part of the deal - data protection or not.
Missing service - Andrew-T
"Dealer wouldn't provide me with copy invoices of previous services due to data protection (of the previous owner presumably)."

In my Pug's case, invoices weren't involved so neither was Data Protection. I got a printout from the dealer's own servicing database, which I am sure every franchise has, and should have no reason to withhold a copy.
Missing service - spambo
I asked the dealer to check the Volvo central records, and there is no record of any service being done prior to Dec05. He said there is no possibility that a service has been done and not recorded.

Do I walk away or talk down the price? The car will come with the remaining warranty until Sep07 and I would probably keep it one further year.

I can accept a lower trade-in in the future if I can get the price lower now - and feel confident that a car that goes 25k without servicing/oil change will not break down.
But surely if a service hs been missed, then the warranty is invalid. If not, then I would get them to state this in writing.

I would be concerned about any premature engine and turbo wear that may have resulted from a missed oil change.

If it were my money, I would walk and look for another one.
Missing service - spambo
I am wavering, but I take your point re the warranty. Many thanks for your advice.
Missing service - mss1tw
and feel confident that a car that goes 25k
without servicing/oil change will not break down

It's not like that's prooving how tough it is. If that was the case why not just fill it with sand to really see what it's capable of.

If it hasn't been serviced properly then wear will have been accelerated to some degree. If it was spending all day on the motorway I imagine it would not affect it much. If it was a town car, rather you than me buying it.
Missing service - caesar
I have had main dealer services before that have not been registered.
They are human and sometimes they forget to stamp the book?
Missing service - spambo
I have had main dealer services before that have not been
registered.
They are human and sometimes they forget to stamp the book?

But presumably you have the invoice to show it took place - which would be just as good when you come to sell it.

In this case there is nothing because no service took place. :-(
Missing service - Round The Bend
From the information above (book and computer records) it looks to me as it the service was n't done.

If you're still tempted see how much you can get off the asking price using the missing service as a bargaining tool.
_______
IanS
Missing service - Aprilia
I suspect this happens quite often. I have seen 1-2 year old cars go through auctions with a missing service. I suspect the book is quietly stamped up later by the seller.
If you are keen on the car then get an oil analysis done - that will tell you if there is any significant engine wear. They can be done fairly quickly and cheaply. Get Volvo to verify that the warranty would be valid - that would be my major concern.
By the time you come to sell at 4-5 years old, the missing service won't really affect the value (or you can 'correct' it with a 'John Bull Printing Set', as used by traders... LOL!
Aprillia is the expert on this.

For what its worth, I would buy the car if it is £2.5K cheaper than the cars with the full history, on the assumption that the warranty will remain valid - And get that in Writing!
--
Even if you get a discount and warranty, when you come to sell the car on your prospective buyer might start asking the same questions.

Stamps in a service book mean little, if anything, IMHO. I always consult with the garage doing the servicing to get them to verify services etc. Most garages will do this if you ask politely. Only last week I was inspecting a car on behalf of a friend and the service history looked distinctly falsified to me.

The basic point is that no-one will know accurately whether there's been any premature wear to the turbo or engine and given the huge cost of fixing these modern common rail diesels I would look for another one.
Missing service - spambo
Thanks to all for your informed opinions and advice.

I think there are more downsides to upsides with this car, and I'm looking elsewhere.

Best regards
spambo