1989 Polo fuel tank. - David W
Those who hate to read about VFM motoring please stop now.

SWMBO now has a new (to us) and remarkable 1989 Polo 1.3 Ranger, you know the sort you see about driven by a pensioner just taking the vicar out for tea on Sunday.

Hardly a mark inside or out and about the cost of a bag of chips.

Anyway I noticed on the 89 Polo stalling thread a comment on fuel tank vacuum and breather hoses. Yep you've guessed it the thing takes about ten minutes to get a couple of gallons in without blowing back. It had a brand new VW tank fitted a couple of weeks ago for the MOT. What have I got to do, new breather pipe? Pig to get to??

Thanks,

David
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - peter
Yes and yes!

The old breather pipe if reused has a tendency to kink and if I remember correctly it is almost impossible to get at. I think that it has to be connected while you are installing the tank unless you have the hands of a 3 year old!
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Yes, sorry David, Peter is right. I fitted a new tank to one of my project Polos a few weeks ago and it is a bit of a pig. Getting the breather right is crucial and the pipe has to be threaded through the car AS you install the tank. Tricky bit is attaching the pipe to the neck before finally locating the filler pipe to the body. Lots of vaseline and long nose pliers via the petrol filler hole in the body. The exhaust has to be removed and the handbrake cable.
Cheers
ACM
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - David W
Thanks Andrew and Peter. The rest of the car is so good I don't mind taking off the new tank to do it properly.

Project Polo Andrew, do tell. Not a 1800GTi engine transplant monster??

David
No, just one of our "garden rescue" cars a pal and I do for a hobby, rescuing old unloved Polos and giving them a new lease of life. They are usually 'gifts' and usually require little work to get them up and running reliably with a full service, new cambelt and fresh MOT. First time drivers and commuters love them as they are generally rust free, very reliable and cheap to run. They are refreshingly easy to work on i.e head gasket in 1.5 hours, engine out in around an hour, and you get to know their little foibles and how to get round them, including changing fuel tanks!
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - David W
Andrew,

Here's one you might know then.

Remind me why two oil pressure senders in the 1272cc head, was one at a different set pressure for a buzzer? Do you know the "colours" the sender units should be?

Many more questions to follow if we keep the little go-kart.

David
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - Jonathan
Could this be the answer to my better half's polo problems too?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=27138&t...8

and

www.honestjohn.co.uk/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=2190&t=...0

We have checkd and rechecked the carb, replaced the distributer cap and arm.

The symptoms seem worse in wet weather, but not a problem in the cold.

Thanks

Jonathan
Re: 1989 Polo fuel tank. - Richard Hall
Andrew

Been there, done that, lost money....

bangernomics.tripod.com/polo.htm
It would appear that in addition to the usual low pressure light this one has an overpressure light as well. Never quite got to the bottom of that one!
BTW Peter, interested that you have lost money with these. We find quite the reverse!