Another problem with me Merc - Al 42
The steering on my C270 CDI seems to have got heavier over the last couple of months. I recently tried a friends C180 of similar miles and vintage and the steering felt much lighter and more willing to self centre. I've also driven other C Class's which seem much more nimble than mine.

I know the engine in mine is probably a heavy old lump but I've checked the fluid level, had new tyres fitted, a 4 wheel alignment at the main dealers and experimented with tyre pressures to no avail.

The dealer has checked the car over, can't find any obvious faults and says that some cars will steer heavier than others and, that a possible solution may be a new steering rack.

I'd be grateful to know if anybody has had,and rectified a similar problem as its starting to become a major issue with me.
Another problem with me Merc - Aprilia
The dealer has checked the car over, can't find any obvious
faults and says that some cars will steer heavier than others
and, that a possible solution may be a new steering rack.

That's a strange thing to say. Lack of self-centering suggests some 'tightness' in the system. It could be binding steering/suspension joints or a siezed steering damper. Have they checked the output pressure from the pump?

I think in the DB technical manual there will be a process for checking the steering torque. This involves jacking the front wheels clear of the ground and then pulling on the edge of the steering wheel via a spring balance. The required force should be within a particular specification.
Another problem with me Merc - Al 42
'tightness in the system' articulates the problem perfectly. Thank you for the advice - I'll try to quote you 'word for word' when I revisit the dealer next week.