1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - gemini
I have decided after sitting in many a car, the corsa is the one for me. Shall be buying it sometime soon.

Im going to get the 3dr version SXI in sapphire black. But I cant decide on the engine to get.

What are your experiances and thoughts on both the engines.

(P.S. please stay on topic. im getting enough stick in real life for buying a new car. Thanks)
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - mss1tw
Totally different cars apart from the body. What will you be using it for?

The 1.4 I imagine will go like stink as a 1.2 I had was quite impressive for a shopping trolley. I guess the 1.3 diesel with have better fuel economy and torque although even the 1.2's will pull 20mph in 5th gear.

1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - local yokel
1.4i 16V SXi+ 3d 1364 cc/4, 88 bhp, 111 top speed, 10.5 0-60, 47 mpg, Ins Gp 4

1.3 CDTi SXi+ 3d 1248 cc/4, 69, 102, 13.5, 64, 3

So on the face of it the 1.4 is quite nippy, quite powerfull, and reasonably economical. The diesel won't be as much fun to drive, but is very cheap to run.
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Happy Blue!
Test drive both!

THe diesel will probably be the better driver for general driving using mid-range torque, but will be noisier and I wonder if the real world economy will be so different.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - commerdriver
1.4i 16V SXi+ 3d 1364 cc/4, 88 bhp, 111 top speed, 10.5
0-60, 47 mpg, Ins Gp 4
1.3 CDTi SXi+ 3d 1248 cc/4, 69, 102, 13.5, 64, 3
So on the face of it the 1.4 is quite nippy,
quite powerfull, and reasonably economical. The diesel won't be as
much fun to drive, but is very cheap to run.

You need to drive them both, you might find you are one of the people who finds diesels fun to drive or you might find you are one of the people who finds diesels noisy etc.
Try before you buy, you will be spending a long time in whatever you get.
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Vansboy
The new model Corsa,(Punto) is on its way shortly, so the current excellent deals on offer, should get even better!!

Think I'd go for petrol, in this size of car, though!

VB
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Victorbox
As has been suggested, you should try a 1.2 SXI as well as the 1.2 twinport is an amazingly powerful and flexible engine for such a small capacity ... and cheaper too.
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - steveincornwall
Parents have a 1.2 petrol and I have a 1.3 diesel. Haven't driven a 1.4 for a while but my parents petrol is nowhere near as good as my diesel. It's a typical petrol, quiet and nice and nippy at first but once on the move the performance is nowhere near as good.
Steve.

1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - MichaelR
off topic note deleted. Topic author says he wants a Corsa, he has made his mind up, so therefore please respect his wishes. DD
1.3 Diesil Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - nick
It's generally reckoned by those more knowledgable than me that 15,000 miles per year is the cost break-even point for a diesel. Less than that, get a petrol.
I'd get the petrol as I'm not keen on diesels which is of no help to you at all.
Straying off topic, I'd also agree there a better cars for the price but it's your money so if you are happy then get one.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - gemini
OK thanks. Il test drive them both. Thanks for the advice
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - smokescreen
The torque curve output could make a difference in real world, drive them and see what you prefer.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - mrmender
I know ypu have not mentioned it but DON'T go for the 1.0 3cylinder it is the worst modern car i've ever driven.
The 1.4's are accepable
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Shaz {p}
One option may be (it may swing it for the diesel) - is to to get it remapped / chipped. It will probably easily match the petrol 1.4 engines performance, whilst retaining better economy.

Diesels also tend to depreciate less then petrols.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - mountainkat
If it's remapped/chipped you need to add in the extra costs of your insurance,

-- a word of warning, insurance companies are very wise to people chipping cars & not declaring it, could case them to refuse a claim if not declared

-- personally if the decision is financially based would go with the petrol, as already said the "economies" of diesel aren't really made unless you drive above average mileage
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - P3t3r
As somebody else has mentioned, it could be worth looking at the 1.2 too. I've recently test driven the 1.2, and it was the best engine I've ever driven (I haven't driven many cars). In fact the engine was the best part of the car.

If I were buying a Corsa, I probably wouldn't even test drive the 1.4. On paper the 1.2 is only slightly slower, and gives slightly better fuel consumption.

I personally don't like Diesels because of the stink, and noise. Diesel also tends to cost a few pence more than petrol which will reduce the cost benefit.

If you are mostly driving in the city then you should definately consider the 1.2, but I think the 1.2 is fine for m/ways too.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - NowWheels
For what it's worth, I don't think that a low-mileage driver is likely gets good value out of a secondhand diesel car these days. Unless you do quite a high mileage the fuel savings are offset by the higher purchase price and the risk of big bills if the complex common rail systems go wrong. (Cue backroom argument about how big a risk that is: plenty of backroomers have run up very high mileages on common rail diesels without problems).

However, if you are buying new, I think the equations look a bit different. If you only keep the car for three years, you needn't worry about the risk of huge of big repair bills (cos apart from being newer, it'll be under warranty all the time) ... and the higher purchase price will be partly offset by a higher resale value.

In the end, though, I doubt that a lowish mileage driver will save much (if any) money by buying the diesel, and if you were really out to save money, as a private buyer you'd run a mile from a new Corsa -- not cos they are bad cars, but because the depreciation will be steep.

So it probably comes down, as others have suggested, to whichever you prefer driving. Personally, I prefer diesels, but not everyone does.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - mss1tw
However, if you are buying new, I think the equations look
a bit different. If you only keep the car for
three years, you needn't worry about the risk of huge of
big repair bills (cos apart from being newer, it'll be under
warranty all the time) ... and the higher purchase price will
be partly offset by a higher resale value.

Lousy MPG for the first 10,000 miles though, and more expensive fuel.

P3t3r - That was also my opinion!!
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Maz
I sell these puppies for a living and the engine which suits the car best is definitely the 1.2 Twinport. Dealers are always happy to buy these back because the SXi is the sought after spec and black (or silver) is the right colour. Always go for the air-con which is an option on these. The 0% interest deal with free insurance is, of course, the kiddy.

The 1.4 is less popular, but also rarer, so in resale terms it's just as strong. Thing is, the engine is slightly too strong for the chassis. It's heavier too so induces understeer from time to time. If you are a keen driver the 1.4 might just be more rewarding in the long term, but don't kid yourself - the 1.2 is as fast on real roads.

The 1.3CDTi engine is OK, but in a small car the NVH (noise vibration and harshness) is high. You're closer to the engine and there's not a great deal of soundproofing, so in answer to your question,the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol.

1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Dynamic Dave
Something I was not aware of until earlier this week is that the 1.4 twinport engine has a camchain.

A colleague's Corsa (53 reg) has just had to go in for a new chain at 20 something thousand miles. Rattling like a good un it was.

When she first told me that the garage diagnosed the noise as a loose camchain, I couldn't beleive my ears. Something to do with lack of lubrication to the chain.

And there was me thinking only the early 2.2 litre Vectra / VX220 engines suffered from that.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - mss1tw
Those 20k service intervals can't help.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - Dynamic Dave
Those 20k service intervals can't help.

Found out this morning the Corsa has only done 17,000 miles (not 20 sometime thousand I previously mentioned). 2yrs old, and serviced yearly.
1.3 Diesel Corsa or 1.4 Petrol Corsa - carroll
Have to agree with HJ and Max hired a 1.2 twinport for the weekend. i have never liked the Corsa styling, but these SXi cars are great fun to drive. This had the larger alloys and took on the M25 with gusto, used half a tank to do 200 odd miles at 80 to 90. I cant believe the diesel would be as much fun. Why spend more Ive seen them on the net for £7k brand new, got to be a bargain even with new model out soon. Look best in black.