Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - psi
Hi,

I have a 1999/'V' Reg. Ford Focus 2.0 Zetec Ghia 16v with 84,500 on the clock. I am going to get the camshaft drive belt changed although the Ford Warranty & Service Guide supplied with it shows the replacement (I am assuming I have a Zetec-SE), recommended change at 100,000 / 10 years whichever is sooner.

(Having had a failed cambelt on a previous car before the recommended replacement mileage, I am not prepared to take any chances)

Also, from what I can make out in the Service Guide, the Auxilliary Drive Belt should be changed (PAS pump/Air Con). Am I correct in thinking there are two seperate belts, (aux and cam belt)?

The car will also need a new rocker cover gasket fitting.

Anyway question is, what do you think a fair price (all inclusive parts & labour) would be at a franchised Ford dealer (Dagenham Motors) around the Byfleet area, and importantly, do I need any ancilliaries fitted with the cam belt, like tensioners etc...?

Thanks in advance
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - henry k
I have a 1999/'V' Reg. Ford Focus 2.0 Zetec Ghia 16v

Ditto
>>Am I correct in thinking there are two seperate belts, (aux and cam belt)?
Yes

>>Anyway question is, what do you think a fair price (all inclusive parts & labour) would be at a franchised Ford dealer (Dagenham Motors) around the Byfleet area,
>>
I do not know the price but...
Last time I enquired of them, in our /your area, labour was £80 per hour plus VAT. It has probably gone up.
I am in your area but I use the main dealer in Chichester for the Focus and a Mondeo.
Just phone up and ask initially " how much to change the cam belt?" then enquire re other jobs.
Cam belt changeIt is a standard job and they used to quote it on the Ford website. This is why I do a round trip to Chichester.
When the Mondeo had extended work done on it I paid £10 for a courtesy car.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - bk.bas
At this age and milage I would recommend finding a good Independant. Expect to pay around £35-45/hr + VAT. They should all give you a quote for belt change as it is a standard job
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - Galaxy
I think you will pay about £240 for the cambelt change at your local Ford Main Dealer. That price is fully inclusive, and for the fitting of a complele cambelt kit.

You need to have a complete Cambelt Kit fitted, not just the belt. The kit comprises of the cambelt, tensioner and two pulley wheels. To change the cambelt it's necessary to remove the auxilliary belt, so, if you want a new one fitted, it shouldn't cost you any more labour, only the price of the belt. You may not need a new rocket box cover gasket, that will depend upon which method is used to change the belt.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - John F
I'd inspect it. Give it a squirt of belt dressing. Mine looks strong enough to drive a motorbike. A flimsier one on my Passat lasted 240,000. And 130,000 on a previous Audi. And over 100,000 on my son's Pug 309 - needed tensioning slightly.

I've read lots of stories of cambelts 'failing' a few thousand miles after they've been changed. I've read only one story about Ford's 10yr 100,000 cambelt engines failing yet by now there must be zillions of them about run by people who make an active or passive decision to leave them alone.

Remember, the motor service trade, like any other service and repair business, exists to turn a profit by advising as much work to be done as the client will accept.

If it works, don't mend it.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - bathtub tom
I had my '99 V reg done last year by an indy for £300. Included oil & filter, and new camshaft drive wheel, the old one was solid metal, the new one had a shock-absorbing rubber insert (cost an extra fifty quid).
Be careful, there's some horror stories about all sorts of problems caused by cowboys. I personally needed a new injection pump six months later, it had a broken internal shaft.
Co-incidence?
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - Pete Mansell
Ford Rapid Fit at Stockport quoted £200, using the official Ford cam belt kit.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - caesar
I think that cambelt changes are about the most important part that needs changing and in the past i have always used the franchised dealer.So yours being a focus i would stick to ford or rapid fit?
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - Altea Ego
I tend to agree that cam belt should be done at a franchised dealer.

1/ If it goes afterwards you probably have good comeback on the manufactuer/agent.

2/ too many horror stories from independents who didnt change tensioners/idler or put on the wrong parts, or one tooth out, wont accept responsability of it breaks etc etc etc
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - P 2501
Agree with TVM. Also I have found over the last 4 or 5 years that most dealers i tried offered very similar prices for a cambelt change as independents. It is just routine servicing and some parts that the dealers were pricey on.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - jc
Note Rapid-fit and the dealer may not always charge the same price even if on same site-always get a quote from both;also other Ford dealers in the same area may charge different prices.
Ford Focus Cambelt Change - Fair Price - cheddar
Also agree with TVM, either Ford Rapidfit or Ford dealer service dept.