MINI One or MINI Cooper? - Avant
SWMBO continues to fancy a MINI (car, not skirt....).

Has anyone any experience of comparing a MINI One with a Cooper? I don't think that we need or can afford the S.

Journeys are mainly her driving 5 miles to and from work, plus me borrowing it for some long business trips to keep the mileage under control on the Audi.

The question is really - in day-to-day driving, is the extra pace of the Cooper worth it?

I know there's a new version coming - not till early next year I believe, and there were plenty of teething problems with the current version when it first came out.

Thoughts anyone?
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - Nsar
I'd guess that 10 miles a day is not really the kind of use where the performance of one over the other is going to make a huge difference to overall driving pleasure.

I hear that depreciation of the One is quicker than the Cooper so this may affect the overall cost of ownership, but equally the difference in insurance cost may mitigate this.

Perhaps someone in the trade will pass by these parts and comment on depreciation but WhatCar may feature the vehicles in their depreciation index
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - nick b
I had a Cooper for 6 months in which time I had managed to clock up 15,000 miles - The moral of this ?

Driving a MINI is fun, and the Cooper makes it even more so with better seats, stiffer suspension, wider tyres and a it's a bit quicker of course.

MINI One or MINI Cooper? - blue_haddock
The couple of times i've driven Mini's it has ben in Coopers and they didn't feel particularly quick so i'd hate to think what the One would be like.
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - Hugo {P}
A driving instructor friend of mine uses a Mini 1 as his instructors car.

He has apparently been told that £300 will buy him an ECU remapping device that will modify the performance to Cooper standard and back again.
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - blue_haddock
He has apparently been told that £300 will buy him an
ECU remapping device that will modify the performance to Cooper standard
and back again.

Yes it is very easy to chip a One up to Cooper power, but the same money will make a cooper even more powerful.
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - Olf
I read a report a while ago saying that if you couldn't stretch to the Cooper S then the One was the one, because the difference between the cooper and the one wasn't vast.

Only one way to find out... go drive.
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - oRb
I had a One for two years and have had a Cooper for the past year. Unmodified, the Cooper is quicker. If you have the ecu mods that are available, there's nothing much to choose between them - but you notice the difference in the One much more.

I chose the Cooper for my second Mini as I wanted the extra power without the attendant risk to the warranty and the hassle of informing the insurer about ecu mods.

For everyday driving, there's no advantage from the extra power, the One is nippy enough. For more spirited driving, the stiffer suspension and extra hp of the Cooper do make a noticable difference.

The MINI2 website will have many more people able to answer the question.

R
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - Avant
Thanks for the contributions. We've tried a Cooper and loved it: we'd better try a One as well.

Given that it will do quite a few long trips, it sounds as if the Cooper will be worth the extra. I don't fancy the hassle of chipping and potential warranty problems.
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - barneybee
I love the new Mini and had a Cooper S for a few months (it was a dud so I got shot of it). If I was going for another one I'd go for a cooper, with optional alloys and upgrades (climate control, stereo, cruise control and bonnet stripes). I think cooper is a great compromise between performance and street cred (with Mini buffs).
MINI One or MINI Cooper? - storme
there is more to the cooper than just a chipped engine....

ones dont get the black or white roof
ones get diffenent colour front and rear bits
coopers get better suspension
DONT upgrade the wheels to large ones...it really affects the ride quality

there are more diffenences but i cant remember them all
rear split seat??? and others

and best of all....the ride is SO much fun
--
www.storme.co.uk