No trade plates - Paul531
Hi,

at the weekwnd I was doing 70 on the motorway and was passed by a BMW X5 doing at least 80.

Both number plates back front were obsquered / replaced by white APPROVED USED BMW plates. It had no trade plates back or front.

If it had passed a fixed camera at 80 mph on the motorway what would have happened?

If the Police had stopped it {I assume no tax} with no trade plates what would have happened.

Seems a good way be beat the speed cameras?

Paul
Paul {Forest of Bowland}
No trade plates - umistim
This is clearly a used car on road test, (or a car stolen from a dealers display).
My guess would be that the trade plates were on the front and rear shelves inside the car, a not uncommon way of quickly making a car available for road test from a dealership although rather sloppy.
No trade plates - MichaelR
A related question - the other day our local BMW dealer refused a test drive because they 'Had no available vehicles and we couldn't take out a used vehicle as there is a new law saying customers cannot drive cars on trade plates'.

This was especially odd given less than a year ago, we actually purchased an approved used vehicle from this very dealer following a 2 hour unaccompanied test drive complete with trade plates..
No trade plates - Adam {P}
If it's illegal then The Car People broke the law at least 10 times whilst I was there today.

What on Earth ould trade plates be used for other than a test drive???
No trade plates - Armitage Shanks {p}
For moving am untaxed car from one dealership to another, for a start!
No trade plates - bell boy
you never could borrow trade plates they can only be used with an approved trade plate user(registered at dvla) sat in the car with you.You could be uninsured in such circumstances.
No trade plates - Adam {P}
Whenever I go on a test drive of a car they just whack the trade plate (singular) onto the parcel shelf.
No trade plates - bell boy
its an offence Adam {P they should be outside the vehicle clearly visible but its usually not enforced,as a matter of interest the dvla put out a questionaire on plates about 2 years ago where we could all air our views in relation to where to put them on todays modern plastic cars,nothing has been decided yet.
No trade plates - jc
Not only clearly visible but as close to the normal plate position as possible.There should also be a record in the car stating why the plates are being used and by whom.
No trade plates - T Lucas
And dont ever get caught for 'illegal use of Trade Plates' by an over zealous member of the Constabulary as my valeter did about 10 years ago.Parked car outside shop to buy some smokes and ended up with a fine of about £250,i cannot remember about points,but this was a long time ago and the fine really hurt.
No trade plates - Dynamic Dave
its an offence Adam {P they should be outside the
vehicle clearly visible ....

My local garage just chucks them on the dashboard and parcel shelf as well. Reason being that they do less damage (or none at all) there than outside flapping about on the paintwork.

I can vouch for the damage trade plates can cause. On one test drive the trade plate was flicked up onto the bonnet and put a huge scratch on it. Garage had to put the bonnet right before I bought the car.
No trade plates - David Horn
When I bought my car the dealer plonked a trade plate on the dashboard and handed me the keys. This was in deepest, darkest Devon so I doubt I had anything to worry about.

No trade plates - Wales Forester
Saw two brand new Mercedes Vito vans travelling along the A55 today, neither displaying number plates or any visible trade plates.
I should also mention that they were both white vans with blue 'POLICE' labelled light bars on the roof, but devoid of any other police markings............
No trade plates - Navara Van man
The daelers I have used all just stick the plates on the parcel shelf too.
No trade plates - Dwight Van Driver
Under Road Vehicles Display of Reg Mark Regs 2001 then a Trade Plate is defined as a Reg Mark and as such should be displayed as the same as a Reg Mark issued for a vehicle.

Schedule 6 Part II of Road Vehicles (Registration and Licencing ) Regs 2002 deal with Trade plates, the issue to bona fide Motor Traders etc and their permitted use, one of which covers the use of a vehicle on a test by a prospective purchaser

dvd
No trade plates - artful dodger {P}
Saw two brand new Mercedes Vito vans travelling along the A55 today, neither displaying number plates or any visible trade plates.
I should also mention that they were both white vans with blue 'POLICE' labelled light bars on the roof, but devoid of any other police markings............

An unmarked Police van???????
--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
No trade plates - normd
....presumably on their way to the sticky label shop to get striped up.
No trade plates - Wales Forester
Judging by the junction that they exited at, they were bound for the local Police garage, obviously new arrivals.
We have battenburg not stripes in North Wales don't you know!!
No trade plates - Lud
In the fifties it was not unknown for open-wheeled racers to be driven on the road, usually for basic rather than racing-speed testing, but those cars won't actually go very slowly. Another usual thing in the fifties and early sixties was racing saloons being driven to the circuit by mechanics, three Ecurie Ecosse Mk 2 3.8 Jaguars in close high-speed convoy, driven by mechanics some of whom were quite louche characters. The authorities seemed to enjoy all of this as much as everyone else. The world is carp these days.