Tools!! - leef
Hi guys,

Im going to have a bash at my rear brakes next with my friend who's done it before and is going to show me how to do them. He's got all the tools for the job but has suggested that sometime in the future I purchase my own big tool box with all the bits to go with it.... anyone got any suggestions on complete tool sets, what tool sets do you guys own? Good brands etc. I've looked at Argos and they have one for £70 that looks ok? looking to spend no more than £80/90.

any comments as always will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

PS whens the N/West backroom meet?? :)

Tools!! - richy
Was in Focus at the weekend and they had a nice shiny red 2 drawer toolbox full of essential bits reduced down to £25, certainly enough to get you started and just replace with better quality items if/when anything breaks. Failing that halfords always seem to have nice sets, and have 1/3 off all tool cabinets at the moment too.
Tools!! - AN Other
Can't remember where - Practical Classics maybe? - but I read an interesting and logical piece of advice in answer to the "which tools" question.

A good quality toolkit costs a fortune. You can easily spend several hundred pounds buying just some of what you need. The answer is to buy a fairly cheap kit, and you'll soon find out what you use / need most often, because it will break or wear out. You can then replace these few items with good quality ones.

My guesses as to what you might need as quality items would start with:
10 - 13mm spanners, ring and open end
Philips or Posidrive screwdriver
Large flat blade screwdriver
Mole grips
Set of Torx and Hex keys, or similar

You'll find your own list according to what you do most regularly. Aldi do some very cheap tools, if you're ever in there.
Tools!! - L'escargot
Philips or Posidrive screwdriver

Posidriv nos. 0, 1, 2, and 3.

Phillips and Posidriv are not interchangeable. Using a Phillips screwdriver on a Posidriv screw will damage the recess. Posidriv (which has parallel-sided recesses) was introduced because the Phillips tapered recesses makes the screwdriver "cam out" when torque is applied. Posidriv screws can be identified by 4 equispaced radial marks on the head of the screw.
--
L\'escargot.
Tools!! - Rover25
Machine Mart are worth looking at for tool kits.
Have heard that Halford Professional tools are reasonable, but a bit pricey. Prices more reasonable with the Halfords Trade Card.
Tools!! - borasport20
a proper collection of tools will cost several hundred quid.
Get yourself a set of 'metrinch' spanners (covers a very flexible range), small + large flat+philips screwdrivers (don't waste time on cheap ones).

Find the common nut sizes on your car and get a good quality ratchet driver and the appropriate sockets. Then get decent quality tools as you need them

and a decent box to keep them in !

no doubt Adam will be along sooner or later to confirm about the NW meet
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Tools!! - neil
Halfords (yes, I know!) had recently and may well still have, on special offer for £100, (reduced from £150), a set of tools in an aluminium 'suitcase' that are truly exceptional value for money - the range of tools is excellent and the quality really is quite extraordinary for that price - we were so impressed we ended up buying two, one as a 'grab bag' for breakdowns for my mate's business, one for me to carry in the car. They even have laser-cut rubber inserts to keep all the stuff tidy...!

Set has sockets, combi spanners, pliers, screwdrivers, and MUCH more - and all good enough quality for 'heavy DIY'

And that's speaking as someone who has built up a toolkit over 25 years which is mainly Britool, Gedore, Facom, etc - top kit.

Get one of these and you'll honestly not go wrong - only 2 quibbles, the aluminium mini-torch in the kit is carp, and the hammer is a claw hammer, which is a bit out of place...! There are possibly fewer tools in this kit than you might get elsewhere for a bit less, but believe me, even the pliers are good quality in this one.

(No connection with Halfords - would normally not consider them!)
Tools!! - just a bloke
I favour a slightly different approach to that suggested by the majority here it would seem.

I identify the tools I need to do a specific job and then buy the very best I can afford.

I now have quite a comprehensive toolkit of pretty good quality tools.

The drawback to this approach is that when you first start DIYing it can add to the cost of the job.

I disagree with the sugestion that you buy "metrinch" spanners/sockets.
Buy the correct type for your car, for example both my cars are Italian so I only have metric spanners/sockets :)

JaB
Tools!! - neil
I favour a slightly different approach to that suggested by the
majority here it would seem.
I identify the tools I need to do a specific job
and then buy the very best I can afford.

I'm sure you're right, if you want to build up a very comprehensive, very high quality set over several years - that's what I did.

But as a 'starter for ten' the Halford's kit I mentioned would take some beating, and you couldn't buy much 'loose' good-quality gear for a hundred quid, these days? Even if you end up replacing some sockets etc in due course - the ratchets, extension bars etc are still going to be handy, and this at least gets you started at a reasonable one-off price?

Neil
Tools!! - just a bloke
I'm sure you're right, if you want to build up a
very comprehensive, very high quality set over several years - that's
what I did.
But as a 'starter for ten' the Halford's kit I mentioned
would take some beating, and you couldn't buy much 'loose' good-quality
gear for a hundred quid, these days? Even if you
end up replacing some sockets etc in due course - the
ratchets, extension bars etc are still going to be handy, and
this at least gets you started at a reasonable one-off price?
Neil

:) wasn't disagreeing just offering an alternative. For example he may decide that DIY is not for him and never pick up a spanner again; in which case he's a ton light.
My way he spends maybe £20 on the very small amount of tools required to do the rear brakes. If he decides he likes it then he can go and get the starter kit :)

I do agree that the kit of which you speak is very good VFM though and would certainly consider it if I were in that position.

JaB
Tools!! - Navara Van man
I buy most of my stuff from machine mart and screwfix. My advice is to get the folowing, a good socket set, metrick open spanners, Screwdrivers, Hacksaw, Enginers hammmer, Cold chisel, Nut splitters, pliers/mole grip) These are the basics I would then suplement as you need.

Since mechanical tools are heavy I would advise you to get a rolling toolbox - I use the stanley one. There are also many times when a 115mm grinder will come in handy in the future.

Paul
Tools!! - Hamsafar
Good quality vs. value...

I like Wilkos screwdrivers (the ones with rubberised swathes in handle) These are also sold separately so you can get a couple of the more popular sizes.

Argos spanners are too short, but Machine Mart 'Clarke' ones are good value.

Don't get really cheap ones off a market etc.. as they are made of moneky metal.

Halfords 'pro' ones are great quality, but not that cheap.

If you get cheapish sockets, you can always get a better quality ratchet seperately, I got a Teng one off ebay which is ratchetless, takes a bit of getting used to in actual fact!

Good luck!
Tools!! - his nibs
If you are looking for a socket set I think you could do a lot worse than some of the Halfords professional sets. I've been looking for a while and read a few times on here that it was good quality, something I was looking for without the cost of Snap-on.

Picked up the 150 piece set for £100 (down from £150) and have been very impressed; the action and finish is superb.

Anyone know how they compare to Draper / Machine Mart socket sets? The higher end Draper stuff also looks to be high quality.

Cheers
Tools!! - turbo11
At the end of the day it all comes down to what you can afford.As a professional grease monkey, my tools are my living. I have spent around £7000 on snap-on tools over the last twenty years,and most last well.You get what you pay for.Set your budget and stick with it.For what use they get,Halfords professional range will probably do.
Tools!! - turbo11
also a tool chest and tool box from machine mart is worth getting.
Tools!! - Xileno {P}
I have always bought from Machine Mart or Halfords. Never had a problem with either retailer.
Tools!! - henry k
Im going to have a bash at...

So a soft faced hammer reqd?
with my friend who's done it before.....

But YOU might need a torque wrench to do a similar job correctly.

I have a set of fairly cheap long 20inch/50cm screwdrivers.
They get used a lot of the time.
I bought them cos I thought they might be useful and how true that has proved for many ordinary jobs.

Do get best quality Posidrive screwdrivers

I have a socket set and most sockets have never been used and are not likely to be used. I would get a small 1/2 drive set and supplement with extns etc.

also see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36498
Tools!! - jc
Proper engineers don't need torque wrenches;it's one grunt or two!!
Tools!! - R75
Proper engineers don't need torque wrenches;it's one grunt or two!!

I was told to just torque it to "Half a turn before shear point"

;o)
Tools!! - tr7v8
Don't buy 1/2 unless you're working on trucks or similar. I'd go for decent 3/8ths sockets. MOst of my 1/2 inch ones hardly get used these days & on a lot of modern motors you'll struggle to get 1/2inch in the space available.

Jim
Tools!! - leef
Thanks Everyone for all your advice. I'll probably start with a Halfords set, then as many of you have suggested, "upgrade" the tools I use most for really good quality ones. Was looking at some Snap-on ones!! i need a big bank loan to get them beasts!

Cheers and thanks again to all

Lee
Tools!! - Wales Forester
www.amazon.co.uk have a 'Draper Value 71369 95 Pce Automotive Tool Kit' for sale at the moment for £15.97 delivered.
Looks to be an ideal starter kit?

I've just ordered one myself.
Tools!! - neil
www.amazon.co.uk have a 'Draper Value 71369 95 Pce Automotive Tool Kit'
for sale at the moment for £15.97 delivered.
Looks to be an ideal starter kit?
I've just ordered one myself.

Had a look - I'd be annoyed if I found one!

;-)
Tools!! - Wales Forester
Lost me there Neil?!