Bicycle Racks - Robin
Any suggestions for a means of carrying bicycles on my car? I have a Toyota Avensis hatchback and want to transport 2 adult and one child's bikes. I have seen racks on the backs of cars but aren't these usually mounted on a tow bar? My car does not have a tow bar and I would prefer not to have one. Is it possible to buy a rack for the back of a hatchback? I am a bit concerned that a rooftop rack would be very noisy. Does anyone have any views on the best way to transport. At the moment we can put the child's bike in the boot but as he gets bigger so will his bike so we need a solution for 3 bikes.
Any ideas? Thanks

{Moved from the IHAQ thread, as car related enough to be in the main discussion area. DD}
Bicycle Racks - Altea Ego
I have used a halford bike rack that straps onto the back of the hatch back. Worked well on the scenic, declared redundant on the goona (due to spoiler and glass to hatchback sides) and now looks to be revived for the Ran.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bicycle Racks - normd
Yep, I have a rack similar to TVMs. It has six webbing straps which end in flat metal hooks for fitting to top, sides and rear of hatch. Ensure the rack is central and check for tightness all round after the bikes are on - for some reason some don't tighten the two lower ones but believe me they're just as important! Also ensure that the bikes are also lashed to the rack (usually another webbing strap is provided for this) to ensure they don't fall off.
nb I had to do a wee mod to my spoiler at the top of the hatch on my Previa (cut outs with a knife) to allow the hooks to pass under it to hook onto the the upper edge of the hatch.
Bicycle Racks - Nsar
Don't tighten those bungy ropes too much though, they need some give to work properly. Seeing three bikes come off in your rear view mirror at Mway speed is not nice, believe me I speak from experience. But perhaps marginally better than seeing a bike come off the car in front of you.
Bicycle Racks - Bromptonaut
Some previous discussion here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26187&...e

Never found a roof rack too noisy on Xantia or BX. Lift up can be difficult for the vertically challenged but once the bikes are up they're secure and roght out of the way

Just watch for height restrictions :-(
Bicycle Racks - mrmender
Have to agree with roof rack. I've never had any noise from racks or bikes. Went France last summer with 3 bikes on top, no probs, out of the way so rear hatches can be used
Just watch for low bridges & some ferry companies have a restriction too
Bicycle Racks - romeo156
I have roof mounted cycle carriers fitted to my Alfa 156

I do get wind noise, but just tend to turn the radio up. Fuel is affected also, not sure if the same when they are on the back and sticking out either side.

The beauty of them being on the roof is that they are out of the way from the boot, and I feel they are more secure than those strap systems used to attach to the hatch back.

When I change the Alfa, I am going to buy an estate / hatch, however, I will still carry the bikes on the roof.

Bicycle Racks - mlj
I have a strap on rack from Pendle. Highly recommended. Carries two and occasionally three bikes. And it fits mt Avensis hatchback just fine.
Bicycle Racks - keo-the-dog
i hate those strap on bike racks. i use a towbar mounted one on my avensis saloon but i dont mind the roof mounted so long as you cant see it when driving ie through a glass sunroof.
honestly the strap on racks tend to move about in the mirror and dont feel safe and if you can see the bikes on the roof it becomes distracting. all just my personal opinion carrying bikes over long distances regularly , my son races. go for roof mounted if you dont want a towbar...cheers...keo
Bicycle Racks - barchettaman
I use the roof bar/cycle carrier option.
At ?10 per carrier it´s pretty cost effective.
I´ve never noticed any extra noise.
For some reason I take the saddles off to slightly reduce the wind resistance - not sure why, but it´s a habit now.
This summer will see a roof box and 2 bikes on the roof of the poor old Astra... more room for wine on the way back!!!