Ticking noise from 406 HDI - backatthepostbox
Hi folks,

Firstly, a happy new year to all.

I have recently got an 2000(X) 406 HDI(90) Estate. Done 89000 miles.

When the engine is sitting at idle it sounds a little rough and there is slight knocking/ticking noise. I can only hear it with the window open or when standing outside the car. There is also a bit of a screaming noise when the steering is on full lock. Does this sound like the dodgy crankshaft pully issue on 406s to you? And am I right in thinking the crankshaft pully is the one that is on the off side of the engine that all the aux pumps, PAS, etc run off?

It's going in for a cam(timing) belt change shortly, would it be worth getting a replacement crankshaft pully for the mechanic to fit while he is doing the other belt?

Thanks
Max
Ticking noise from 406 HDI - RichardW

Does this sound
like the dodgy crankshaft pully issue on 406s to you?

Yes
And am I right in thinking the crankshaft pully is the
one that is on the off side of the engine that
all the aux pumps, PAS, etc run off?

Yes
It's going in for a cam(timing) belt change shortly, would it
be worth getting a replacement crankshaft pully for the mechanic
to fit while he is doing the other belt?

and Yes!!!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Ticking noise from 406 HDI - neil
Yes, absolutely - having recently had this done on my Xantia HDi (same engine).

The pulley is expensive - about £140 from a dealer, substantially less from GSF (*and same in every respect other than price!)

I would suggest a waterpump and new auxiliarry belt at this mileage as well, the waterpumps seem to be on borrowed time after 70k. Having said that, and someone will be along in a minute to contradict me, the idler's bearings seems to last indefinitely, dealers aren't advised to change during belt changes, although I'd be incluned to do the idlers every second belt change anyway!