Passat TDI 110 Auto - spadger
Hi. Was looking at buying the above motor. It's done 80000 miles and is a 1999 SE model. It seemed to drive fine but wondered does anyone have any thoughts, good or bad on these. Have owned a few Audi tdi's so know roughly what to expect. Also, is there an easy way to tell the difference between the S and SE model. Thanks
Passat TDI 110 Auto - andymc {P}
Check the suspension out before you buy - replacement can be very costly (upwards of £900 including labour) and is a distinct possibility at or soon after this mileage. Window electrics can fail intermittently (one-shot down function doesn't always work first time on mine). Ditto central locking from inside - when I press the armrest button to lock all doors, they all lock and then passenger door usually unlocks itself again - however, remote central locking works perfectly every time! Intermittent rattles can come from dash, B-pillar, doors ... I take it you know about timing belt changes.

Nice comfortable long distance cruiser though, with more than enough power to cope with most driving requirements. Handles pretty well since I put Konis in it, but if upgrading suspension check out Bilsteins as well. Overall, the faults on mine are minor enough not to cause heartache.

S spec is pretty basic from what I remember, might not have electric rear windows or aircon and I think the SE should have an armrest, wooden trim, at least aircon if not climate control, etc.

If it was me, I might investigate to see if I could pick up a Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur or Club SE for a lot less money - it's probably a more reliable car overall, and parts may not be too much of an issue considering the engine is a BMW unit. Horses for courses though!

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Passat TDI 110 Auto - mr.freezer
In S trim the Passat has steel wheels (relevant to another discussion as well)

Passat TDI 110 Auto - Morris Ox
The 99 model year SE also has steel wheels. What the SE has over the S is Climatronic climate control, a higher spec stereo, velour trim rather than cloth, trip computer, electric front and rear windows, front centre armrest, remote central locking.

I've had a 110 SE for a while, and while it's a bit of a plodder, the turbocharger gives it a nice gentle shove when you need it and quiet motorway cruising. Mine is a manual and during the last eight months it's averaged just undr 49 to the gallon. The most I've had out of a tank was just under 680 miles before the warning buzzer sounded. In everyday driving you should get 550-600 with a gentle right foot.

It's solid enough, roomy, perfect for a family.