New Computer - Pezzer
MC, my machine at home came from NOVATECH, although it is now about 4/5 years old. I work for a very large IT company but many of us source our personal/home use equipment from them, partly because they are local.
I believe they assemble (or have assembled) units using industry standard components. So if you are not bothered about a brand name they represent good value, I've been very happy with the various purchases I've made over the years.

HTH

P
New Computer - smokie
I read somewhere that Dell will have a new round of offers starting tomorrow. Their kit is often a bit more pricey but some of their deals are very good, and there are ways and mean of saving on things like delivery etc.

This site summarises the best Dell deals. tinyurl.com/a24c7
New Computer - cheddar
Dell are good, I have had a couple of Dells, though full on-site support is expensive if purchased up front and expensive if required later, Novatech also have a good reputation though I have not bought from them, likewise I have heard good things about Mesh, I have been considering a Mesh PC, competitive, flexible pricing.

www.meshcomputers.com/

New Computer - Xileno {P}
Dell gets my vote. I bought one back last summer, good prices and you can specify just what spec you want. No problems with it so far. And if you don't want to order on the website you can actually phone a person and order it that way.
New Computer - Altea Ego
Dell is cheap. Go for the web specials. Mesh are fine

Get a usb2 hard drive for backing up
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Computer - Conditional Identity
Thanks for all the messages guys - Dell's looking favourite at the moment.

RF - is there an advantage to the external USB drive over an internal one?
New Computer - Altea Ego
Not really - an extra internal one will be much faster. A USB drive however means it can be used on a lap top. Cant put a second drive internally in a lap top.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Computer - pmh
I always recommend Dell to other people. Much on the lines (from yesteryear) of 'you dont get fired for buying IBM'. TVM/RF will explain if necessary.

However Dell historically have always used their own motherboards so maintaining them is somewhat problematic or expensive. I am not sure whether this is still true, can anyone comment. But buying with a 3 year hardware warranty if you do not do your own maintenance can be a sensible option. Look at some of the deals available from EuroPC on Dell. Big discounts and, in my experience, good customer service.

To answer "RF - is there an advantage to the external USB drive over an internal one?" I would suggest if you are not hands on technical, a second (external) drive makes life easier if you suffer from hard disc failure and want the minimum difficulty in recovering valauble data.

--

pmh (was peter)