1991 BMW 525 Auto Gearbox Problem - Stuart1977
I have recently purchased a BMW 525i auto as a bit of a project. Problem is it drives as though its stuck in one gear (3rd I think) and is very slow on pick-up and sounds as though the automatic clutch is slipping. Also the wee message display below the speedo reads TRANS something and to refer to the owners manual... very handy... if you actually have one!!

Anyone any ideas?? All help gratefully received. Cheers Stoo!
1991 BMW 525 Auto Gearbox Problem - Hamsafar
Get the PCM code/s read, that's what they're for, no point second guessing.
If it turns out to be the slush box, they aren't impossible to work on providing you have the room and facilities to take it apart - you can get manuals and rebuilt kits from
www.jpat.co.uk/
1991 BMW 525 Auto Gearbox Problem - John24
My son has 525 and quick look in handbook says 'If the TRANS PROGRAM display appears in the Check Control, there is a fault in the electronic shift system or transmission. All selector positions remain available but the car can only be driven in 4th and 5th gears for forward travel. Avoid extreme engine loads and consult the nearest BMW service station.'
1991 BMW 525 Auto Gearbox Problem - Aprilia
You've certainly got a 'project' there mate.

"TRANS PROG" means the ECU can't figure out what is going on in the autobox and has defaulted to 'limp home'mode.

You gearbox could be a GM 4-speed box or a ZF4HP22E. If the latter then expect problems are major expense. If the former then shouldn't be too bad to get it fixed.

Check the obvious first (fluid level and condition, connectors and wiring to ECU and gearbox).
1991 BMW 525 Auto Gearbox Problem - John24
Further my earlier post, something rang a bell and I found this site. May help you solve your problem at not too much expense.
www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/transprogram.asp