1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Scampy
During recent cold snap, both front door locks froze up and would not open. Handles moved out but lock didn't operate (?) Once thawed, removed outside handles and sprayed with WD40 and locks worked. Once temperature dropped below freezing locks still would not operate. Once car was warm locks operated OK. Do I need to remove locks and clean up? Funny the back door locks operate OK
1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - bell boy
take locks out again and spray with white grease wd40 is ok as an anti-seizure agent but is no good as a long time protection against water and wear.
1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Cyd
Follow the advice i gave in this thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=84...3
Thanks for your quick replies. I haven't taken the locks off yet to lubricate. I assume that is where the problem is, ie not the lock actuators/handles?
1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Cyd
No need to remove the locks. Just give a good spray through with WD40, allow to dry out for a day and follow it with a good dose of spray white grease. Give a dose of white grease at least every 6 months
its only a 30 sec job to remove the handle/lock on these cars Cyd{P} :=)
Oldman I agree and I have taken the handle/lock out but what about the actual door lock itself, that would involve taking the door panel etc out. My question is which part of the locking mechanism is freezing?
I should add that I have no problem with the key not unlocking when it is freezing. Its when I come to pull the handle that the door will not open even though the handle moves out
i would be very surprised if it wasnt the mechanism of the handle/lock thats not working as it goes straight into the catch mechanism.I suggest you get a can of the grease in aerosol form take the handle off again and with window wound up give the catch mechanism you see a good dosing,do the same with the lock and put it all back together watch you dont force anything as the mechanism on the handle is made of chocolate and easily breaks.
1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Civic8
oldman,I think what Scampy means is lock is working,but door rubber is frozen to frame.preventing the door from opening.common problem on many a car in severe weather conditions
--
Steve
got it thanks ,silicone on the door rubbers then all the way round.:)then
oldman/steve.o

Done that already but didn't make any difference. Doors still wouldn't open!!
1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Dave Kruger
During recent cold snap, both front door locks froze up and would not open. Handles moved out but lock didn't operate (?) Once thawed, removed outside handles and sprayed with WD40 and locks worked. Once temperature dropped below freezing locks still would not operate. Once car was warm locks operated OK. Do I need to remove locks and clean up? Funny the back door locks operate OK

1996 Polo - Door Locks freezing - Dave Kruger

I have the same issues with my 2001 classic.. Where u able to remedy the fault? And if successful, how did u fix it.?