Vauxhall Monterey L reg Auto losing powe - m lamb
Hi i was wondering if there is anyone out there in cyber space who has any knowledge about the vauxhall monterey 3.2 auto, we have been having a few problems with our vehicle it is losing power which confuses the gear box and then starts blowing out lots of black smoke. We have had the vehicle fully serviced with lots of new parts including map sensors & fuel sensors which seemed to do the trick for a short period of time then the problem starts again, local garages seemed to be a bit baffled and i was wondering if anyone either has had this problem and solved it or if anyone knows the best place to get information. Thankyou for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

M Lamb
Vauxhall Monterey L reg Auto losing powe - Screwloose
M Lamb

The usual reason these do this is a fault with the engine management's coolant temp sensor. This particular system seems very sensitive to the coolant sensor's input and doesn't seem able to cope with an erratic reading.

The self-diagnosis usually manges to pick it up though; have you accessed the blink-type fault-codes - no equipment required. Code 14 is the coolant sensor.

From memory it's a real joy to get at; right down the back of the R/H bank, hard against the bulkhead. Plenum chamber removal may be required to even see it.
Thankyou for your response, whenever we have had the car to the garage and put on the computer the code has always been to do with a flooded engine, Do you know where the computer is located in this vehicle as i have not got a clue? Thanks again
M Lamb
Vauxhall Monterey L reg Auto losing powe - Screwloose
M Lamb

Odd; there isn't a code for a flooded engine? Code 45 is rich mixture, but...

The ECU was moved about this ['93-94?] time; but it could well be under the console between the seats. If nobody's been messing about with jump-leads, then they're pretty reliable. Don't interfere with it without good cause.

When the coolant sensors start to mess about, they can cause hesitation; cutting out; massively flooded engines; clouds of black smoke; awesome fuel consumption and various other unwelcome symptoms. I've done several, including two in 15 months on one V6 Trooper. Change it.
Thankyou you have been extremely helpful and im very grateful it does sound very much like the coolant sensor then, hopefully i will be able to find someone who can get one and change it for me. Yes you were also right it was the rich mixture code that kept coming up.

Regards
M Lamb