BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - zedstar
Having discovered I have slow puncture on my BMW 323Ci (2000), also discovered the locking nut is missing from the tool kit! And yes I've searched the whole car inside out.

Not sure if each locking nut is specific to model/type? A friend of mine has similar, but slightly newer which could potentially try.

What is the best thing I can do? Need to get fixed asap to get home for Christmas!

Thanks
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK the car should come with two lock sockets and if they are lost a BMW dealer might have the details on the main computer, subject of course to you proving identity and legal ownership of the car ie you aren't going to get this sorted with one phone call! Good luck and have a good Xmas. As a back up buy an electric air pump. A friend of mine just got one at an accessory shop for £9.99
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - Altea Ego
Your friends wont work

Try your BMW dealer, they might have a "universal" jobbie. Chisel I think its called.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - Aprilia
You can get 'universal' locking wheel nut removal sockets. The AA and RAC guys carry them, or try a local tool factor. Mine cost me £17. Its a socket with a left-hand cutting spiral inside it that bites into the fastner as you turn it.

Obviously in the long term you will have to get replacement nuts, either from the dealer or from a an aftermarket wheel supplier (McGuard are good).
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - jc
Most tyre dealers hold a set of these sockets-some with internal spiral and some with external spiral which will deal with all sorts of locking nuts(and rounded-off nuts as well).
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - L'escargot
You can get 'universal' locking wheel nut removal sockets. The
AA and RAC guys carry them, or try a local tool
factor. Mine cost me £17. Its a socket with
a left-hand cutting spiral inside it that bites into the fastner
as you turn it.

If any old Tom Dick or Harry can buy one of these for £17 it makes me wonder whether there's any point in having locking wheel nuts/bolts in the first place!
--
L\'escargot.
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - John S
I guess your car has the internally splined type locking nuts? There are fairly large number of different combinations for these so the chances of your friend's car having a compatible key is quite small.

Whether the key number is available from the dealer computer system I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they don't keep a full set of keys in the workshop and thus be able to identify what you need.

JS
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - Pugugly {P}
If they are dealer fit from new the codes will be on BMW's Computer. If you have the car's original document folder (the big black "leather" one) details should be in there.
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - zedstar
Good thinking, I do have the black folder and so I'll give the garage a try.

Failing that, I spoke to Stephen James BMW and they have a master set which they can use to identify the correct socket and and order accordingly.

Thanks to all for your help!
I had a similar problem with my Peugeot some months ago - I couldn't remember where I had put either of the locking wheel nut sockets! I knew the number and a replacement socket, or two, was a lot more than a complete set of 4 new bolts and the necessary socket!
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - dollygolfmids
there are 40 variants, any decent dealer will hold all of these... turn up find out which one fits, then order one through parts... u have to do this as the number (1-40) that is fitted is completly random.

and as for the comment about having 2 for each car.. this was standard up until the late 90's/early 2000 now its one adapter per car.
Two for mine in 2004.
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - turbo11
Funny that.After its first service,my E-46 i had four years ago "lost" its tool for undoing the locking wheel nuts.turned out the mechanic who did the servicing had "borrowed" it.BMW will be able to get you a replacement.They are not "one off" tools.Maybe 1 in 15 BMW'S of that age will have the same tool.
BMW E46 - Missing locking Nut! - Happy Blue!
On my Volvo I replaced teh locking wheel nut with a standard one. Saves lots of hassle and who steals Volvo alloys? Kept the locking nuts for my Subaru tho'!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?