Diagnosis / Fault Code Readers - Ruperts Trooper
What will work, ie read fault codes, for a model year 2000 Astra petrol?

From model year 2001 (petrol) and 2004 (diesel) EC legislation has required all manufacturers to use interface EOBD and allow independent outlets to access the on-board data.

Many earlier Vauxhalls used OBD and OBD2 which allow fault codes to be read from flashes on the dash display (the infamous paper clip trick).

I've been told that my Astra uses EOBD but a version which prevents reading or resetting of fault codes unless the Vauxhall Tech2 computer is used, which of course is only available at franchise dealers for significant cost - about £50 each time!

Am I really stuck with a car that CANNOT have fault codes read, either by me diy or by an independent garage?

Diagnosis / Fault Code Readers - defender
if you want to know what is available try searching on ebay as most of these type things are sold on there,you might not want to buy there but it tells you what is on the market
Diagnosis / Fault Code Readers - buzbee
Have a look at these.

www.cnuio.com/en/01.asp
www.cnuio.com/en/p02.htm
www.fuzing.com/vli/000193df8239/OBDII_EOBDII_car_c...S
www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/faultcodes/eobd_gener...l
www.scantool.net/

Let us know how you get on, especially if you get a suitable low cost Chinese one -- see the first three references.
Diagnosis / Fault Code Readers - Ruperts Trooper
Thanks for your suggestions. All the readers suggested cover "full" EOBD from 2001 on.

My problem seems to be to define what protocol Vauxhalls used from '96 to 2000. The connector is compatible with EOBD/OBD2 but the ECU software isn't.

Up to '95 its OBD and Draper do a reader for about £15. 2001 on is EOBD and Gendan do a reader for £50, but both products exclude the ECU's used by Vauxhall from '96 to 2000.

What do independent garages use for '96 to 2000 Vauxhalls?
The Gendan one looks to be as shown in my third reference (Chinese ?) source.
Try searching or posting on the www.ilexa.co.uk site.