VW Golf expansion tank question - turtle
Hi there

I have a VW GOLF MK2 Driver with 162K miles on clock with a 2e2 carb.
The other day I accidently broke a bit of plastic within the expansion tank because I poked a crack.

The link below shows a picture of it (white arrow points to
www.rafael.plus.com/watertank.htm

Now the piece of plastic which broke off is in the water system.

Is this anything to worry about or should I try to get the plastic piece out ??

Car has been okay heater working fine, temp guage reads okay. However will damage occur in the future?

Many Thanks
Raf
VW GOLF expansion tank question - pmh
I am not sure I would worry abot the plastic as long as the tank presurises ok. ( I cannot see the crack you mention) However the pipe next to the hose clamp looks a bit iffy!

--

pmh (was peter)

VW GOLF expansion tank question - turtle
Hi Peter,

Yeah the system presurises ok, I haven't lost any water yet, but I will keep an eye on this.

The hole you see in the picture used to be the crack which I proded (doh) and broke thus creating the hole.

I suppose if the system is running fine there is no need for me to flush it just to get the little bit of plastic out.
Perhaps the plastic may have disintegrated when touching the water pump.

VW GOLF expansion tank question - bell boy
we will all pray for you my son

on a different note if that piece has broken off it sounds like the whole bottle has gone brittle from heat and age?if you intend keeping car it might be wise to buy a new one?or substitute a similar type for it?just in case it lets you down.
VW Golf expansion tank question - welderjames
Why not just get a new tank,all vw from that era use same ball type tank,that bit of tank that is broke is for boiling overflow,a safety design,i bet breakers have hundreds of these knocking about for price of a pint,and only take 10 mins to fit....