Toyota Rav4 1996 - tracey
I am about to put a deposit on a Toyota Rav4 1996, N Reg, 28,000, airbags, sunroof x 2, stereo, good condition, 2 previous owners, full Toyota service history. can anyone tell me if this is a good price #6,495.00.

Thanks

P>S> KB if you see this, what do you think? viewed the vehicle today.
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - David W
Tracey,

The price seems reasonable(ish) for these vehicles which command a huge premium over a normal car. For example most N-reg hatchbacks would go under £2K.

Only thing I would check is the mileage. Well under average, I would want to double check the documents. Having said that I guess this is the type of second car that just goes to the shops. In which case think about the maintenance history related to short run problems.

For example the timing belt is a 63Kmls item. Has it been done because if not I would think about it due to age. Could be a £150 job at dealer prices.

Is this vehicle from a main agent or smaller dealer?

David
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - tracey
David

I'm having it checked over with an AA inspector a couple of days, he should pick up on the belt thing? do you think....?

Its a small dealer, seen all the service history, its had two owners, yes i did think the mileage was quite low but it was on the official documents...

Thanks

T
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - KB
Tracey, Take note of what DW says. He won't lead you astray. Ask to see the log book and try and contact the previous owner/owners if a dealer, he must have contact details if he took the car in himself. How does the seller react to the mention of an HPI check and an AA/RAC inspection. If any doubt about ANY of this step back and find out more. Mileage is low - find out why. Who went with you to look, who is selling it and why (if private)? These things are as/more important than price.

Only when you happy with this and what DW says can you think about doing a bit of haggling re. the price.

It could be the most genuine car to be seen this year and it could be yours if it all checks out - it doesn't HAVE to be a dog - but assume it IS until you prove otherwise and then if it's OK go for it (after a bit of bartering).

Come back with any more info you have.

Also - you might just want to post a request to Martyn (BRM) and ask his advice as he's got one. He's a decent bloke - just whisper sweet nothings in his ear and he'll be putty in your hands!!!
Hi KB

Yes i do have doubts at this stage, hopefully after AA inspection - all problems can be resolved (if there are any..) hopefully there wont be anything major it does look extremely nice and well kept . The dealer didn't really want my trade in (14yr Mitshibishi Colt) as cash value but did offer 1 year Warranty deal worth #250.00 in exchange for the old car I will probably have trouble moving on, also he will remove my cd stereo and put in the Toyota. He didn't look like he was going to knock the asking price, so I am awaiting the AA man's opinion (verbally) as well as written report then I will be in a position to haggle. But I need to know whether 6.495 is a bit too much for its age etc..

T
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - ladas are slow
i have already said that i would buy your car, plus it would be getting a good home (my sisters fiat 127 is off the road, so she needs something decent to get to work in), if you want to sell it to me, i have only one question - how much tax and mot.

p.s those warranties are sometimes worthless, as my dad got one for his hyundai sonata (it was from a company i think was called 'motor warranties direct') and when putting in a claim most parts were 'wearable parts' (the radiator went, and the thermostat siezed, and the ABS failed, but we got no money)
MOT is until July 2002 and Tax next week!!! Shame about warranty did you feel like threatening small claims court stuff!!
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - David Withers
The dealer I bought my BMW from gave me a 6-month warrantee which was from a company with a very similar name to Motor Warranties Direct. The water pump failed within a few miles (the only failure I have had) and I was given the go-ahead to have it repaired at an authorised garage.

However, a bitter dispute then followed because the garage had fitted a genuine BMW pump and coolant additive which the warrantee company said was an unnecessary expense and they would pay only for a pirate make of pump and additive.

Discussions between the garage and the warrantee company were of no avail and the dispute was only settled when the supplying dealer intervened and used the weight of the custom he was giving to the company to get payment in full. When the warrantee ran out, the company had the audacity to invite me to renew it!
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - Andy Bairsto
you fotgot the gearbox you had vitually mended in Halifax
the gearbox was repaired AFTER the warranty ran out, plus it wasnt my car it was my fathers (as i said in the thread)
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - Andy Bairsto
Its far to expensive for a 7 year old car and will result in heavier repair costs over the coming years due to its more complicated running gear ,heavier insurance costs,they are useless off road so if you only want it for normal use you should buy a normal vehicle as new as possible with a good gaurantee .
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - KB.
Tracey,
Looking at my previous message, I hope I didn't sound too pessimistic and off putting. Having suggested you look at a Rav4, I would like you to get a nice one.

Don't spend too much time worrying about your old car. It's not worth much and shouldn't cloud your thinking. As it's got an MOT , you can ALWAYS sell it for something and if it passes another MOT, it's worth a couple hundred and you're better disregarding it in your purchasing consideration. Consider having no P/X and getting the best deal. Don't take too much notice of Lada's advice, it doesn't often help very much. You can sell the Mits. anywhere. You wouldn't GIVE away the road tax on it anyway - You'd SELL it with the car, ie. adjust the price accordingly, or claim it back from the DVLA. The Mits. isn't that important.

Check the current Exchange and Mart to get an idea of RAV4 prices and look at Parkers guide too. They will give you an idea. If HJ is looking in, he may tell you what Glasses or CAP says?

The reason I say take someone experienced with you is for moral and technical support. Do that and it will help.

You're right re. the AA man and the haggling - Don't be beaten on this. You don't want to screw the dealer, and you don't want him to .........you know what I mean. You just want a good car at the right price.

Treat it with the utmost caution, do ALL the checks, ie. on history, ownership, condition, the deal you're getting - and you can't do any more. Not everyone wants to rob you, but as long as you're aware that some will, then you're OK. There will always be another one if this ones not for you - there are PLENTY about. Be confident and let the dealer know you're aware of these things and won't be had over. You're obviously not daft and are giving it much thought, so I'm sure you'll be OK.

KB
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - T lucas
I import these used from Japan and usually have people waiting for them,they are great fun,totally reliable and dead easy to move on.If it checks out,buy it,you wont regret it.
Andy and Tony L both make fair points here. It is a daft amount of money for the age but so many want them it holds up the price.

Re the deal. I think the dealer is getting just a bit too much of the wedge on this one. He's sticking to the price and offering to swap your old car for a warranty. Why? He's a dealer so you are covered by the consumer protection legislation. It makes me laugh to hear folks go to a dealer with the comfort of a warranty as a major factor, then pay the dealer for what the law obliges him to give you.

You should try for a couple of hundred for the old car in the local paper and get £250 off the price for no p/ex with no extra charge for the warranty.

David
Re: Toyota Rav4 1996 - T lucas
If the cars any good,your AA inspection should tell you,you might get some money off,but if i was that dealer i would not budge a penny,you have already paid for your AA inspection,ie,commited,and he knows he can sell the Rav again easy enough.Its a fashion thing,linked with supply and demand,people just have to have them.
Tony,

You're spot on as you well know. There is a point when folks commit to a downhill slide towards purchase, with some vehicles and some folks this point is as they enter the showroom.

The salesman's dream.

David
Tracey, Are you sure you don't want to put another £1700 less say £300 for your Mits. = £1500 and get a brand new Jimny as I suggested earlier? You wouldn't be in such a dilemma worrying about all the things that we've been talking about.

KB
Dear KB

I have lots of positive reponse to my initial question, yes it is alot of money but all the Rav4 comments have been very postive, now I have actually see one I am very impressed. I emailed Martyn like you suggested and he came back saying it was the best car he had ever driven etc etc. The hassle of selling the Mits is not worth worrying over.

regards

tracey
Lada's We're trying to have a half sensible dialogue here and what are you contributing?
i would like to buy the mitsubishi colt thats all.
THIS IS FOR TRACEY. - ladas are slow
please get in touch if you want to sell your car. watson-fam@ic24.net

many thanks.
Re: THIS IS FOR TRACEY. - tracey
Dear Ladas are slow

It looks like it is an easier option for me to trade in the mitshibishi with the dealer. Its got no tax, its done 98,000 miles, and he is taking it off my hands on Sat when I collect the new one hopefully and taking my cd player out and putting in new one. Im sad im not getting more for it, but I think the hassle selling private will be a pain. It just takes all the hassle away.

Thanks for your interest but I think I'll think I leave it as this simple transaction.

Sorry

Tracey
I'm sorry, Tracey, I'm trying to type something sensible for you, but there's a really irritating whine coming from my screen. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's really getting on my nerves.

KB
Thanks for coming back, T.

You've done all you can do and have obviously checked everything out. I'm glad you spoke to Martyn, he's a good man. I know he's more than happy with his and am sure you'll love yours too. Take good care in it.

KB
Last message

A BIG thank you for your great advice and guidance on my car buying, are you old enough to be my dad? Im 34...he he

I'll report in a couple of weeks let you know how I'm doing.

Will it have power steering? hope so....whoops hadn't thought of that one, spending all that money and still having to struggle parking......

take care

bye

tracey
Thanks T, Last reply for the time being, but, as you say, don't leave it too long before you return and say how you're getting on.
Err... almost but not quite not quite. Not unless Ma & Pa had you just as they were leaving school, but a clue would be - for the past 28 years, my firms truck has been a bright shade of red, with 'designer' stripes down the side, and I've not got much time left with them.
Yes it will have PAS and, no you won't struggle with it. Have a look at
www.4car.co.uk/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&reviewid=98 and that will make you feel even better, they think it's great. Pleased you're settled and hope the two dogs like it, (what are they?) and am sure they'll appreciate your moving out of London to wherever? The only reason I looked at 4X4's myself is my hope that when I leave the 'firm', I can escape from here to somewhere quieter and a bit more remote and considered the possibility of one mainly for the winter. Anyway, bye for now, KB.