What Irritates Me About Dealers - Roly93
I always drive a quality car under 3 years old, which I usually buy nearly new either privately or from one of the car brokers now quite common.
I dont tend to have much trouble with my cars, but on numerous occasions when I have phoned my local dealer to either ask their advice or a technical question they start by asking me "did you buy it from us". My response to this is "well you ARE a **** dealer arent you, so what difference does it make whether I bought it from you", as the car is under the **** UK warranty and you are legally obliged to provide support of their products.

Are the main dealers under more pressure these days to not rack up warranty costs on the manufacturers or what ?
What Irritates Me About Dealers - Stuartli
I've had three VWs since 1992 and whenever I've contacted a main dealer, even if it's just for a simple thing such as checking on recalls, I have always been given the information freely and willingly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I've had three VWs since 1992 and whenever I've contacted a
main dealer, even if it's just for a simple thing such
as checking on recalls, I have always been given the information
freely and willingly.
- - - - - - - - - - -

I am a VW fan myself, but I have to say your experience is certainly different from that of myself and my work colleagues with our local VW dealers.
What Irritates Me About Dealers - David Horn
Why not just say "yes" when they ask you the question? ;-)
What Irritates Me About Dealers - BobbyG
Roly, I think you are totally over - reacting.

Try it from their angle. Every time someone phones with a query, ask if they bought the car there so that they can check the records to make sure they have accurate information? Check the details so that you can actually call the caller by his name etc etc

If thats all you have to worry about, you should be smoking Havanas!
What Irritates Me About Dealers - Bill Payer
I got stuck behind a woman at the service desk of my local dealer.
She was reponding to a recall notice to have the ignition lock changed. She freely admitted buying the car from a local car supermarket, not having any of the car's details (the key number was vital) and she demanded it was done that week and that the dealer supplied a courtesy car.
I was very annoyed about this (more about the way she was talking to the service receptionist than anything else) and told her so - her response was that the manufacturer had a duty to sort it out. She clearly drew no distinction between the dealer and the manufacturer.

When she'd gone I asked the receptionist why they put up with sorting out the Supermarkets problems - she said it generated about a third of their work!
What Irritates Me About Dealers - L'escargot
<< My response to
this is "well you ARE a **** dealer arent you, so
what difference does it make whether I bought it from you",
as the car is under the **** UK warranty and you
are legally obliged to provide support of their products.

If I was the dealer I would see this as a stroppy reply to a perfectly reasonable and civil question, and it would put my back up. They probably only wanted to know so that they could trace the exact specification of the car in their records before they committed themselves to an answer.
--
L\'escargot.
<< My response to
>> this is "well you ARE a **** dealer arent you,
so
>> what difference does it make whether I bought it from
you",
>> as the car is under the **** UK warranty and
you
>> are legally obliged to provide support of their products.
If I was the dealer I would see this as a
stroppy reply to a perfectly reasonable and civil question, and it
would put my back up. They probably only wanted to know
so that they could trace the exact specification of the car
in their records before they committed themselves to an answer.
--

Perhaps I stated my case a little strongly, but I still say the dealer is an extension of the manufacturer and as such should take immediate responsibility for ANY car that is under warranty having been legitimately sold in the UK. If a dealer can't do this then they should have their franchise removed by the manufacturer.
What Irritates Me About Dealers - L'escargot
Perhaps I stated my case a little strongly, but I still
say the dealer is an extension of the manufacturer and as
such should take immediate responsibility for ANY car that is under
warranty having been legitimately sold in the UK.

Technically I've no doubt that you are absolutely correct. But a smile and a pleasant approach works wonders in any situation.
--
L\'escargot.
Technically I've no doubt that you are absolutely correct. But a
smile and a pleasant approach works wonders in any situation.
--

You are of course right.
The reason why I am so negative about main-dealers is, that for what they charge people (£90 per hour)they don't deserve to put a foot out of place at any time !