Vauxhall 2.2 Zafira snapped timing chain - NeilBrady
Hi,

A few days ago the timimg chain on my 2002 2.2 zafira snapped. I've discovered that this is a fairly common fault and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

My car is out of warranty, however I believe that Vauxhall will pay all/part of the costs. They know about the fault but did not do a recall.

If anyone has experienced this problem, been compensated thru Vauxhall or can offer any advice please reply

Neil
Vauxhall 2.2 Zafira snapped timing chain - bikemade3
Report in the Saturday Telegraph a while back referring to snapped chain on a VX 2.2. Can't remember if it was a diesel or petrol enginebut in summary the cause was determined to have been failure of the chain tensioner as a result of extended service intervals. The oil feed to the tensioner had become partially of fully sludged up and in turn the tensioner was not being presssurised.
Allegedly VX remedied this by fitting a larger bore pipe/ possible redesigning the tensioner.
Trust that in your case the car has been on 20K/12 Months or flexible servicing.

Best of luck!
Vauxhall 2.2 Zafira snapped timing chain - Dynamic Dave
Hi, take a look over at cavweb. Here's a couple of particular examples, but I think there are also some other threads on the 2.2 and cam chain problems as well.

www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51508
www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56628

btw, Engine numbers from 11065400 had the revised Lubrication nozzle and tensioner, BUT I'm not sure if this number only applies to Vectra engines.

There have been reports of Vauxhall paying for the repairs, but it's a bit hit and miss.
Hi

VX have finally agreed to pay all costs to repair my car. This took a bit of negotiation and lots of perseverance!!!

if anyone else is in the same situation please don't give up!!! Feel free to mail me on nb53@hotmail.com and I will supply details of who I spoke to at VX Luton
Vauxhall 2.2 Zafira snapped timing chain - BobbyG
Thats a result! Well done, how did you persuade them?
Hi,

I'd done enough research on the net and as VX 'know' about the fault but had done little or nothing to resolve it. I wrote a strongly worded letter to their MD, followed by a few telephone calls to Luton. I eventually got put through to someone senior enough to make a decision and they agreed to pay all the costs.