Power steering pump, what to do? VW Golf - sony
Hi all,
I have a 1996 N plate VW Golf 1.8SE with the ADZ engine and single-point Bosch Monotronic fuel injection.
My steering has been very heavy recently, much harder than a non power steering car I'd say!
Anyhow, its got 103k on the clock so I'm assuming the PAS pump has gone. I'v been offered a PAS pump which has roughly done 93k for £30 and was just wondering wether or not it was advisable to buy a pump with that sort of mileage on it.
Trouble is, new pumps are roughly £150 from GSF and the likes and I do find that price to be extortionate!
What should I do??
Many thanks!!
Power steering pump, what to do?? - Altea Ego
Firstly I would get the problem diagnosed properly. Does it have fluid, is there a leak, has the rack seized, is the belt turning the pump etc etc etc.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Power steering pump, what to do?? - sony
everything was checked. It is the pump. Any more opinions??
Power steering pump, what to do?? - Happy Blue!
Well if you spend £30 and it works great. If it doesn't then you pay £180 not £150 in total. Just make sure it works first.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Power steering pump, what to do?? - Civic8
not a good idea buying second hand parts,it may not last long.if so you may still have to pay out again,at least with new parts you get a warranty (just my thoughts)
--
Steve
Power steering pump, what to do?? - bell boy
get it fitted,if it came from a decent breakers as they dont want you moaning if it packs up in the 30 days.
If you were buying from an internet auction site i wouldnt buy it mind.
Power steering pump, what to do?? - sony
I think I'll buu a new one after all that.
Don't want to risk chucking money away!
Power steering pump, what to do?? - Mikey Jay
I totally agree with Renault family and Steve. Make sure the problem is properly diagnosed and buy new parts. Mike
Power steering pump, what to do?? - bell boy
sony said i quote " everything was checked. It is the pump. Any more opinions??"therefore why not fit a s/h scrappy pump with a 30 day guarantee?its an old car and in my opinion not worth a new pump.
Power steering pump, what to do? VW Golf - Cyd
Power steering pumps are, in general, very reliable provided they haven't been abused. I would have no qualms about fitting a secondhand pump of similar vintage to my own. Before you fit it though, smell the oil that is left in it - if there is any hint of a burnt smell find another one. Check the pump for leaks or unusual noises every few days for the 30 day warranty period (or whatever period you are given). Obviously, check it over for any signs of external damage too.
Power steering pump, what to do? VW Golf - dieselhead
don't know why people have a problem with secondhand parts when a secondhand car has pre used tyres etc. and nobody has a problem with them.
Plenty of reputable breakers that offer guarantees and don't want bad feedback if you use one of the internet sources like parts gateway.
Power steering pump, what to do? VW Golf - Xileno {P}
Give this company a call. I know the bloke who runs it, they are very good and I've had parts off them.
www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk
Power steering pump, what to do? VW Golf - bell boy
i would like to reiterate that i said internet "auction" site not internet car breakers the good ones are indeed excellant i could also give recommendations but they might only have one pump in stock and i might want one next week