VW LT van 1997 vintage - dodo
Sorry but there must be 'vanhead' out there who knows something about vans. I need to move house over Christmas and have been offered a 1997 VW LT diesel in white with 105k and with current tax/PSV. I'm told it was used for light duties by one company owner from whom the current owner bought it ... to move house. I know nowt about vans but I'm going to see this one tomorrow? Anything I should know - and is it worth £1500 if in good condition. Cheers
VW LT van 1997 vintage - bell boy
just make sure the head gasket is alright,its the weak link on an otherwise sound engine,why not hire a van?its cheaper.
Yes but it would be good to have it over Christmas and I suppose if its okay always the chance that I could sell it a couple of weeks later and the 'hire' will cost nothing. Did that years ago on an old Transit and covered my cost having used it for a couple of weeks. Very useful for going to the dump. Does anyone know when they changed the LT to the more rounded front?
VW LT van 1997 vintage - DavidHM

There's a chance it could be one of the very last flat fronted with the design from the 70s, but it's more likely to be a rebadged and re-engined Mercedes Sprinter.
If its the last of the old flat fronted ones is that a bad thing? I'm going to see it tomorrow after work and will know more about the engine etc. Thanks everyone in the meantime.
VW LT van 1997 vintage - Stuartli
1997?

It's just a baby in real terms...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VW LT van 1997 vintage - mrmender
The old LT was not a bad Van but it has the engine under the seats. mechanics hate them for doing anything major, and the drivers tend not to check over the engines as often as it can be a pain to get access (no excuse) My mate had a 6 cylinder diesel which i belive was the pick of the bunch.
Don't know much about the newer LT except it's the same as a Merc
Well its an older version - looks like a brick. Drives well and seems to have a very burbly engine. Gear change a bit rubbery but bodywork good. £1000?
Sounds ok and you should get your money back as i think you intended at that price
VW LT van 1997 vintage - Collos25
We leased a fleet of old type in Germany in the nineties and boy were they thrashed always missing services and after three years only one breakdown ,a cam belt.The vehicle having done 14000km without service I was not suprised.Ugly but what a work horse.
Bought! £700
Possibilities of a small profit here.... Arthur Daily look out!