Cylinder head overhaul needed? Pug 106 - Janeo
Hi all, hoping someone can advise me - my M Reg Peugeot 106 Diesel is almost impossible to start in cold weather, over the last couple of years the battery and glow plugs have been replaced more than once with no improvement. A local garage has now advised that a cylinder head overhaul is required at a cost of around £600, but I'm reluctant to spend so much on an old car. Is this likely to fix the problem, and is £600 a reasonable price to pay? Any advice gratefully received!
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - Xileno {P}
A compression test should indicate what's wrong. £600 is too much to spend on a car of this age. Scrap it and start again.
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - T Lucas
Dont know about the Peugeots,but with a lot of Japanese diesels there is a timer relay that controls how long the glow plugs are on for.When it gets very cold if the glow plugs are not on for long enough the engine can be very difficult to start.Try letting the glow plugs heat up several times,and listen for any relays clicking under the bonnet.
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - gsb
My 406 certainly has a timer relay, so I expect the 106 has.
When it is really cold I often let plugs heat up twice and I was told to depress the clutch when starting so that there is not as much work for the starter motor to do.
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - bell boy
Janeo , glowworms dont last forever if they have been done in the last few years what with the weather etc weve been having lately im sure they will need changing again,take your motor to a man who knows what the difference is between low compression and inability to start in cold weather,tell him about bad starting and i am sure he will check the appropiate bits as the other posters have already said
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - madf
check the fuel enrichment system works.
check the glowplug timer light comes on

madf
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - Crinkly Dave
Have you checked the valve clearances?
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - Reggie
So are you saying that there was never an improvement, even after the new glow plugs and battery? Or has cold starting performance just returned to when it was bad?

Reggie
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - Reggie
I don't think that all Peugeot diesels have the timer relay which prolongs the glow after the light on the dash has gone off, but it is worth checking in say a Haynes manual, and then with a multimeter exactly what is happening. As far as I'm aware there are different grade glow plugs for the different applications.

Has the car got a very high milage?

Reggie.
Cylinder head overhaul needed? - Civic8
>>check the fuel enrichment system works.

My one was replaced just before I got the car due to same problem,not a 106 but 218 rover.apart from glow plug failure just after I bought it(replaced with NGK)not had a problem starts on first couple of turns well below freezing.So that could be the problem?

--
Steve
Cylinder head overhaul needed? Pug 106 - Infosec
Hi Janeo,

I have an N Reg 106 1.5 Diesel and have exactly the same problems as you. My car starts OK, but if it has been standing overnight and there is a freezing frost in morning I trouble starting it. However, once it's started it's OK for the rest of the day (even if left standing for 7 hours).

It only had new glow plugs about 6 months ago, so I put a new battery in (good quality Bosch) and new glow plug relay (yes - it is timed), this didn't help and it was fine every day until the temperature in one morning was below freezing when again it wouldn't start!

This Friday I put in a new set of Beru glow plugs, but I've just tested the old ones and they seem OK. I'm now of the opinion the problem could be one of 3 other things:

- starter motor a bit slow
- lack of compression
- diesel pump problems

I don't think it's a compression problem as the car has just been MOT'd an emissions were fine, it doesn't blow smoke or burn oil and the fuel consumption is spot on.

Sorry I coudn't help, but you're not alone with this problem - if you do find a cure, please let me know. Good luck.

Cylinder head overhaul needed? Pug 106 - Spanner
£600 seems steep. At that price, I will expect a complete cylinder head, including refitting and new cambelt as well.
Check the simplest things first;

Check fuel lines and filter housing as these are notorious for allowing air into fuel, and diesels will not run properly or start at all well if air bubbles are present. You will be amazed at how small the bubbles can be that cause problems.
Filter housings and primer pump (either bladder type of plunger type can leak internally allowing air in under negative pressure found between tank/filter and injector pump.

Even though your car has a new battery etc, check to see if current is reaching the shared cable that feeds the glow plugs. Get an assistant to turn on 'ignition' whilst you use a 12volt test lamp or preferably a test meter. Whilst you are at it, time how long power is supplied to glow plugs. In cold weather, preheat timer relay supplies power in a cyclic pattern in when the glow plug warning lamp goes out. Should be over ten seconds when outside temp is chilly and engine is cold.
If no sign of current to glowplugs, check for loose/corroded cables between plugs and relay unit.

As opposed to a simple compression check, get a CYLINDER LEAKAGE/BALANCE TEST carried out. It's more accurate than the other, and shows percentage of air loss due to worn bores/piston rings or valves.
Let us know what you find.

Andrew Pullen

Cylinder head overhaul needed? Pug 106 - Spanner
According to Haynes manual, at an under bonnet temperature of 20 degrees c glow plug warning light should be on for 5 to 6 seconds, followed by a further 10 seconds current supply AFTER the light goes out. Warning light time increases with lower temperatures under bonnet/cold engine. If yours doesnt stay on, refer to my earlier thread and test to see if plugs are actually receiving current and for how long.

Andrew
Cylinder head overhaul needed? Pug 106 - madf
The glowplugs have a relay. It sometimes sticks.Ours does occasionally. Turn ignition key twice solves it.
Bubbles/air line leaks may be a problem.
Check the battery earth leads and the gearbox mounted earth leads - often corroded.

We change glowplus roughly every 5 years on ours: a Heavy duty battery makes a difference. Is your battery properly charged? Has it been checked? Often works ok in warm weather but fails in bad. Check alternator drive belt. Does it squeal?

You can buy a secondhand recon head on ebay for under £100...

We find glowplugs fail in twos.. probably one fails and is not noticed until the second.

As I diy, and trust garges as much as I do politicians, I can only say £600 is a complete waste of money on a car worth £900 when A1OK imo...

madf