North West BR Meet Up. Confirmation - Adam {P}

Adam has finally decided on a date for this prestigious event.

TUESDAY, the 17th JANUARY 2006.

Venue = The Waterside

7:30pm

If you're going to sat nav it,

Garswood Old Road
East Lancs Road
St Helens
Merseyside
WA11 9AB

Directions:

If you're coming off the M6, take jct 23 onto the Lancs. You'll go through one set of lights. Keep following it and you'll approach a bridge running over it. after a set of lights. Then some more traffic lights. Turn right at those lights then right again into the carpark (It will be obvious where it is from the lights - there's a Premier Lodge attached to it)

If you're coming from the other direction then you'll go past a Chinese Restaurant called "Chung Ku". After that, make sure you're in the left lane. Turn left at the lights and then right into the car park.

Quick warning - those lights have a camera on both sides. The amber period is very short so just be careful.

If anyone's got any problems then feel free to shout out. If anyone wants my number too then just drop me an email.

Thanks for being so patient folks. It's taken a while but I've finally done it!

Cheers,

Adam

{Hooray!! I can finally put my edit button away ;o) DD}

North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Happy Blue!
Sorry,

SWMBO has just swapped theatre tickets with my parents and guess which night we are going????

Awfully busy that week, so don't change date because of me, unless it's hard for everyone in which case change the year!

Well done making a decision.

BTW; on East Lancs today in brilliant sunshine. Mini Cooper S sitting in outside lane doing 60mph and nothing on inside. I undertake and guess what - Yes - Fog lamps on!!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Adam {P}
How about the week before?
Sorry, busy at least three nights that week as well. ARGGH. Want to be there. BTW won't all pubs with eating places be very busy before Christmas?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - smokie
Oh fer gawds sake...

I can feel a Volume II coming on... :-)
Well we have got to post 106......

Time for a sticky at the top I suggest????
--
Which two nights are you not busy?

I don't mind moving it forward in the slightest if the majority of people can make it.

Christmas lights are up already so technically it would be a Christmas Meet.
Just a post to flag this up E as you've missed the "new" tag because you posted at the same time.
adam

You have mail
--
Time changed folks.

Next Tuesday - 7:30pm.

North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Citroënian {P}
...and a bit more mail!!
--Lee .. sorry, the card says Moops.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - blue_haddock
Only day i'm busy is Friday 16th so i'm easy.
Is that the 22nd Nov?

--
Yes - I remember Mike saying Tuesday's were best for him too.
This coming tuesday is OK with me
Smashing.

Just need Mike to reply. I think he's dropped off the face of the Earth.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Dynamic Dave
>> Is that the 22nd Nov?
Yes

Date changed at the top so as (hopefully) not to confuse anyone more than they already are. DD.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Robbie
I thought it was a Christmas meet?

Sorry, I can't make next Tuesday.
Arghhhhhh!

Now I know why you made me planner E!

It was moved early because Espada was busy nearer to Christmas but moved but Lee is on holiday next week! And now Robbie can't make it!

Help!
I told you - make it in the new year. No committments from anyone that far ahead. Besides there's a load of Mancunians and other north westerners on the site who I don't think realise whats going on.

Need to make contact with them.

--
Right. Here we go - Dave will be laughing his head off but the plan has changed.

It'll be a New Year Meet. The venue (The Waterside) will stay - just the date is changing. That way we can guarantee Espada, Lee, Blue and Robbie at the very least can turn up. I have a horrible feeling Mike might be on holiday (or kidnapped) so it wouldn't be much of a meet.

Everyone keep a few Tuesdays free in the New Year and we'll hold it then. After Christmas I'll reopen this thread and we'll take it from there.

Truly sorry for messing everyone around but E's right - there's no point having it next week for the sake of having it if only 3 people turn up.

So, just to reiterate. The meet is still on but for the New Year instead. If in the meantime anyone visits an astounding pub and feels we should hold it there, shout out and I'll more than happily visit it to verify.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and patience (no really). The first round will most definitely be on me when we finally have the meet.

Thanks again,

Adam

P.S. - Dave? Shut It!!!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - smokie
I don't believe it

Ah well Adam, like DD said, we thought you wouldn't be able to organise one :-)

Can't wait for the next thrilling installment! We'll hold a disk or two free shall we? :-)

Best reserve an entire server Smokie.

I can't wait to successfully pull it off in the new year - then you'll be laughing ;-)
Top marks for trying Adam

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Chruchill

Cheers
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - AlastairW
Teachers call this 'Deferred success' these days. With more than a couple of weeks notice I should be able to make a Tuesday night.
Yep, >2 weeks or so notice and I can make most Tuesdays, assuming that Newcastle Utd or Oldham aren't playing at home.
P.S. - Dave? Shut It!!!

Muwahaha!!

I've said all I've had to say at the start of the thread - nah nah nah nah nah nah.
Well Done Adam.

All we now is a date????

2nd or 3rd Tuesday in Jan???

--
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Blue {P}
I've resisted posting on this so far, but things seem to be going in my favour so what the heck! Just about any Tuesday in the new year should be good for me, Tuesdays are in fact the only day that I don't go to work, and I finish uni at 2pm so I should be able to make it across in plenty of time.

Look forward to seeing the planning descend into a further debacle sometime in the new year :-)

Adam, you have my sympathies for even trying to organise this!

Blue
there's no point having it next week for the sake of having
it if only 3 people turn up.

If i wanted to be cruel and sarcastic i would mention that even 3 would be more people than the southerners managed for their previous meet but i'm not that kind of person so i won't!

At present i have no plans for January so i'm still ok but knowing Adam and his decisiveness we'll be having the Christmas meet in July with a BBQ in his backyard!
Heyyy - a BBQ - I can do some steaks. You'll get E-Coli but they taste delicious!

I was going to hold off a date for a while but the earlier we fix it the better. How about either the 3rd or the 10th of January? I realise the 3rd might be a bit too close to New Year but there's only one way to find out.

(I'm holding off picking a definite one as I know as soon as I do, 2 people won't be able to make it. I'm determined to get us all in the same place at the same time!!)

P.S. - Blue - it would be great if you could make it.
Arghh - just remembered what E said.

The 10th or 17th of January. Forget the 3rd.

Yes Dave - I'm laughing too.
Get a grip, Boy!
--
Yes sir!

I think we should nominate b_h to organise the next one. Then there's someone I can take the mick out of!
17th would be good for me
Right then. here we are again. How does the 17th sound to everyone then?
Still looks OK for me
--Lee .. Welcome to Anytown USA
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Big Bad Dave
How about 21st March? I?ll be in Manchester that week.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - richy
Why not tie it in with an event that some of us are going to anyway? Like Autosport show, Le Mans or Goodwood?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - David Horn
Are we still having crackers and paper hats?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Altea Ego
So exactly when did the tectonic plate slip and slide goodwood 300 miles north?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
.*******
Na I was just meaning I would'nt drive 50 miles north just to have a pint, but a Friday night in Chichester before Goodwood would be nice to hang out with some fellow petrol heads, cause I'd be there anyway and not have to worry about getting back drunk.
well if you guys do make winchester I am sure the ran can climb over the south downs for a meet.

Dont forget the motor show is at the Excel in London this year!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I meant of course - Chichester.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Well the 17th is ok with me. Have you made a decision on where?
I have an exam tomorrow and need to get some shuteye so forgive my brief reply.

Dave - March is far enough away for us to probably hold another meet. We have to have a meet when you come over. We just HAVE to!

Richy - There's no point holding it there because it isn't a NW meet then. And even then, people wouldn't turn up. Everyone's welcome of course and should there be a meet coinciding with an event, then I'd make the journey but others might not want to.

Blue - I think it's still going to be the same venue. I've discovered a fantastic place near Uni with the best food I've even eaten but it's more restaurant like than pub like and might be a problem if people don't want to eat.

There - I think that's everyone. We'll discuss it more tomorrow.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter - I'm off to bed.

Goodnight!
P.S. Thanks to Dave for the header.

P.P.S. David - hats will be provided but you must bring your own crackers.
17th gets my vote.

Blue
I think 17th is OK with me. As per usual, I need to check that I have late pass from SWMBO.

Remind me where and when please!
--
Just checked - sorry can't come. We have prior engagements ...
--
Remind me where and when please!

Presumably the same location as was mentioned right at the start of the thread.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - borasport20
fine by me - but then any mon/tue/wed is !
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Adam, is the Waterside the one by Carr Mill?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - NowWheels
Would it be excessively pedantic to point out that a gathering in January might be best called something other than a "Christmas meet"? ;)

(I know that it would excessively pedantic to point out that that whatever season it is, "meeting" would be a more appropriate term. So I'll not mention that one ...)

{I've amended the topmost title, oh ever so pedantic one. DD}
Yes Robbie it is.

So everyone but E can make it. I knew it was going too well!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - leef
Sorry can't do the 17th, going to Stevenage with work :( shame would have been good to put faces to names....
Right

Things have changed.

50% chance of me making it. Don't hold your breath.

Pity Leef can't be there. It would have been useful to go in a Mondeo; I haven't been in one for a while and I could have had a drink!!!
--
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - borasport20
I'll be there

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Right. Unless I've missed anyone, am I right in thinking that the following people are going to turn up;

Robbie
Borasport
Citroenian
Blue_Haddock
Blue
Espada (hopefully/possibly)

Anyone else is more than welcome to come but I assume that's the list as things stand today?

P.S. Thanks to Dave for providing the blue font ;-)
Yep i should be there
Good Stuff. Are you happy with the directions Kev?
Good Stuff. Are you happy with the directions Kev?

I'm sure i'll find it!
Are we having a meal?

Espada,

If you're just stuck for a lift, I'll have to drive past the rainy city so would be happy to pick you up. If not, then no worries.

Lee
Well I'll be having a meal I don't know about anyone else!
That's fine. I'll not eat before leaving.
Just remember folks - there are over 48 hours left to the meet, which means the venue, time and day may change at least 4 more times!
Well I'll be having a meal I don't know about anyone
else!

Don't be mean Adam. Pass around some forks and let them share your chips.
Depends what kind of mood I'm in on the day. (First day back at Uni on Tuesday)
Its looking more positive that I will be there! Probably later than 7:30pm (more like 8:30pm). Depends on arrangements with babysitter and getting children to bed, as SWMBO is in the smoke with the baby and I have the older two.

Lee - many thanks for the offer of a lift. If I can arrange the babysitter for earlier than I may e-mail you via the mods to discuss, but otherwise will see you there.

BTW Where are Nsar, Stuartli, pdc and hillman etc etc, who are all clearly Manchester/NW based. Adam, want to get the mods to send them a message?

--
Will do E.

Would be great if you could make it. - don't worry about the time.
I'll check my mail before leaving home - I'm sure TomTom can find you! Adam also has my e-mail, if you have his

Can't let Adam have all the food to himself...
By the way, what type of venue is The Waterside?

Blue
Sounds like a pub cum restaurant cum hotel type place.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Nsar
Sorry people I can't be there, I have to be at a meeting that I simply cannot avoid (those parole officers, they're so picky aren't they)
Well it sounds like an acceptable venue then, so long as it isn't expensive, most of my beer money will be spent on diesel to get there!

Oh, and I need some to go clubbing with (hopefully) when I get home, so might have to leave a fraction early (3 hour drive and all that) in order to get home before 1am.

Blue
Morning all.

Thanks for letting us know Nsar.

Blue - the other blue's right. It's just a lowly pub-restaurant. In fact, I think there's some two for a tenner deals....

....so we can all have two meals each ;-)
At the risk of looking cheap, if anyone wants to do two for a tenner I'll probably be up for it! :-)

Actually, that does look cheap doesn't it when i see it written in black and white, never mind, I don't care, there's days left until pay day!

Blue
At the risk of looking cheap, if anyone wants to do
two for a tenner I'll probably be up for it! :-)
Actually, that does look cheap doesn't it when i see it
written in black and white, never mind, I don't care, there's
days left until pay day!
Blue

I'll join you for that as no doubt Adam will be having a double helping.

Cheers,

Robbie
Might not get a chance to get on here tomorrow night because I'm at Uni all day so is everyone ok with the arrangements?

If anyone does want my mobile number the email me tonight but you should be ok direction wise.

Cheers,

Adam

And yes - they don't call me Adam "Ten Bellies" Littler for nothing. I shall be having a double helping!

North West Back Room Christmas Meet - BobbyG
Adam and co, hope you all have a pleasant evening and I would expect the pictures to be posted by 23.00 !!
Thanks Bobby.
Adam, is your mobile the same as the one you gave me last time you arranged a meet? I've still got that in my phone, but if it's changed, please e-mail me the new one or else I will get stuck!

Blue
Yeah Blue - same number.

I'll join you for that as no doubt Adam will be
having a double helping.
Cheers,
Robbie

Good, anything to help absorb the Diesl costs!

See ya tommorow all being well!

Blue
Well, we had it!

Thanks to Adam for organising the meet at teh Waterside in St Helens.

Present were

Adam
Borasport
Blue
Blue Haddock
Robbie
Espada III (me)

Robbie has a cute dog and a Honda Accord Tourer with electric opening and closing tailgate, which impressed our tiny minds no end!

A big cheer to Blue for driving down from Sunderland!!!!

Lets see you southerners get more than two of you together then....

--
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - BobbyG
That it finished already??
eehh bah gum, they know how to live it up these northern lads
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
It was nice to put faces to names. We'll have to do it again sometime. And congratulations to Blue for driving from Sunderland.

Hope you've arrived home safely.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Avant
Actually there were four southerners, but two of them although in the same pub feebly didn't make the effort to find us.

They shall be nameless but both seem to have retired from the Backroom. Someone else have a go this time....
Lets see you southerners get more than two of you together then....

IIRC, the last southern backroom meet had at least 3 more people turn up that yours did.
Home safe and sound guys, thanks!

Enjoyed that a lot, as Robbie said, it was nice to put the faces to go with the names.

Shame the brake warning light came on my car after the first 20 miles very faintly and refused to go out!

I thought the last Southern meet was a disaster IIRC... :-)

Blue
Filled up with Optimax at Haydock Island. Only 93.5ppl compared to 102.9 at the services near Stanlow refinery. Cor, my car needed a drink of real stuff!
--
Well, as E said, Me, E, blue_haddock, Blue, Robbie and borasport turned up. Despite being too late to have desert it was a good night.

Thanks to everyone for turning up as well. Especially to Blue who drove over 3 hours to get there and to blue_haddock for taking an hour to drive up. (Still a long time when you compare it to my 15 minutes!)

Robbie not only has one of the nicest looking estates around, but as E said, it has an electric opening boot. Possibly THE coolest feature on any car. Ever. You press the key from miles away and the boot opens! I don't just mean it pops up a little like mine - but completely opens. And then, another button completely closes it! So I've now decided I want an Accord Tourer!

I think it's been decided unofficially that blue_haddock hosts the next one. Possibly to coincide with Big Bad Dave's visit in March? Good luck mate!

Again, thanks to all for turning up. And thanks to Dave for his editing and managing of the thread which would have been pushing over 200 replies otherwise. Much appreciated. And Blue even managed a whistlestop tour of Wigan. Didn't you Blue? ;-)

Cheers,

Adam
Adam,

Where are the pictures then?
Do you know something, I completely forgot to take a camera! So...er...no pictures I'm afraid!

Still - everyone looks the same as they did from the last meet only with more winter-type clothes on!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - David Horn
I should have guessed a meet organised by Adam would end up with a boot comparison! :)
Oh yeah, I forgot about my tour! :-)

Basically, Adam got me back onto the M6 and my Tom Tom immediately told me to take the next exit, to be honest, I just went along with what it said because I didn't know what it had in mind, or where I was. It turned out that it took me off the M6, about half a mile down a road, turned me back round a roundabout, back along the same half mile of road, and placed me straight back onto the M6 in the same direction that I'd been going anyway!

I had to laugh or else I would have cried. :-)

Blue
Did you take the quicker way to the M6 and get on at Ashton-in-Makerfield rather than go all of the way to Haydock?
Yes Robbie - I went home the Ashton-in-Makerfield way so Blue could follow me. The only problem is, whilst I got off at Wigan to go home, so did Blue!!!
Do you know something, I completely forgot to take a camera!
So...er...no pictures I'm afraid!
Still - everyone looks the same as they did from the
last meet only with more winter-type clothes on!

Do you think you could organise another meet next week and bring your camera ;)?

Wonder if Blue could make it:)?
Do you think you could organise another meet next week and
bring your camera ;)?
Wonder if Blue could make it:)?

Definately not! I used nearly a week's worth of diesel just to get to this one! :-)

I enjoyed the drive home a lot though, was nice having most of the road to myself.

Blue
Robbie not only has one of the nicest looking estates around,
but as E said, it has an electric opening boot. Possibly
THE coolest feature on any car. Ever. You press the key
from miles away and the boot opens! I don't just mean
it pops up a little like mine - but completely opens.
And then, another button completely closes it! So I've now decided
I want an Accord Tourer!
Cheers,
Adam

Thank you Adam for those nice words about my handsome Accord Tourer.

I think it was on here that somebody criticised the Tourer saying it was ugly. I never agreed with that and it was much admired by French people when I took it over there just after I bought it in 2004. I think the black strips on the doors make it look better. Bit pricey at £120 though.

You can see a few pics here - and also some of my cute dog.

photos.blueyonder.co.uk/album/thumbnails.html?c_al...2
It asks for me to log in to see those pictures Robbie.

Oh yes - Robbie brought his dog along too! Certainly a lot more well behaved than my two little ones!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - HF
Glad it went well, but I can't believe you forgot a camera!

Are we saying there has been more than one northern meeting and more than one northern one?
Sorry Adam, I think this is the public url.
www.byphotos.com/album/1082992

The reference to "cute dog" was from Espada's comment.
Hi all,

Many apologies for not making it last night. Work suddenly got very hectic and I just couldn't get away. I trust someone had a pie for me....

Next time....

HF - we had a North West last August and thankfully someone (Mike) remembered a camera and so, it's here;

groups.msn.com/honestjohn/people.msnw?action=ShowP...5

Obviously I'm inept which is why I forgot. If someone had paid attention and realised I'm stupid then they would have brought a camera. It's not my fault!!!

Robbie - is there any chance of you emailing me please? I've lost your addres.

Lee - don't worry about it at all. It was a long trek for you and probably not what you felt like fter a long day's work1! (A novelty for me ;-))

>>trek

Hi Adam, TBH, it was probably exactly what I needed but didn't finish work until 7:50 - very annoying!! Glad a good time was had though, and top marks to Blue for making it from Sunderland, but then me being a Newcastle fan, I can fully understand why anyone living there would want to get away for a bit.

KIDDING!!

L
Robbie - is there any chance of you emailing me
please? I've lost your addres.

Adam, you have mail.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - PhilW
"forgot a camera"
And no-one had a camera phone or some flash(!) PDA/satnav/bluetooth/blackberry/iPod/MP3 thing (don't really know what these things mean!) that could record this historic event?? I want photos to a)prove it took place b) see Adams (double?) 2 for the price of one pie!!
Glad you enjoyed it!
Wonder if there will ever be a Midlands meet?
--
Phil
Listen PHIL! When you come along, YOU can bring the camera! ;-)

I presume the next meet will be held in a more southerly location so that may tempt a few southerners.

I never had two pies. I didn't want to make blue feel out of place with his pasta.

I'm nice like that.
I was going to say Nice car ugly dog

But I cant - the dog is gorgeous.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
He was great. All of us crowded round Robbie's boot with Charley excited with all the fuss and he never jumped out of the car once!

I was amazed!
Yep. I normally can't stand canines (being allergic and all that), but Charlie was simply lovely. He must be, to be in the car with Robbie for five hours (North West to Dover) and seven hours (Calais to SW France).........
--
Yep. I normally can't stand canines (being allergic and all
that), but Charlie was simply lovely. He must be, to
be in the car with Robbie for five hours (North West
to Dover) and seven hours (Calais to SW France).........
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need
a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?

That was seven hours from Dover to home.

It's no fun driving in GB whereas it's a joy in France - except on the periphique - Caen and Paris.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - PhilW
"Listen PHIL! When you come along, YOU can bring the camera! ;-)"
Touchy? - must be the lack of sufficient pies!! ;-)

Maybe I'm feeling guilty at not making the effort because of distance - yet not as far away as Sunderland!

My camera is charged!

--
Phil