Vx Vectra battery & Alarm - Big Vern
Hi

Well last nights cold snap was enough to kill off the original battery which is 7 years old in my Vectra. Pretty good going in my book.

I have a 98 GLS with the factory fit alarm & immobilizer. It has a graphic which indicates that the alarm goes off when the battery is removed. I seem to remember you have to do something with the key in the ignition in order to prevent this happening. I could find no reference on what to do in either the owner?s manual or Haynes. For future reference does any body know the correct procedure?

I guess it was kind of a blessing as it forced me to splice on a +12V battery from a handy UPS using the fused phone car kit wiring loom while I swapped the old one out, so I did not have to and hunt for the radio codes etc.... but I still had my ear defenders on in case that didn't work :o)

Thanks in advance
Vx Vectra battery & Alarm - John S
Vern

Thought this was in the book. From memory, something like turn ignition on and off again and disconnect the car battery within 30 seconds to prevent the alarm sounding on its built in battery. Not easy. Needs the terminal loose first! I'm sure DD will be along soon with the definitive answer.

JS
Vx Vectra battery & Alarm - Dynamic Dave
John S is essentially correct, apart from I believe it's actually 15 seconds rather than 30 seconds in which you've got to disconnect the battery after turning the ignition on/off.
Vx Vectra battery & Alarm - Big Vern
John S is essentially correct, apart from I believe it's actually
15 seconds rather than 30 seconds in which you've got to
disconnect the battery after turning the ignition on/off.

Aye thats what I had in my head, but I couldn't see how I could easily do it, sounds like a 2 man job to me. Even with the terminals loose it took a fair bit of wiggleing to get them off. The dark didn't help either!

Thanks for this
Vx Vectra battery & Alarm - Ruperts Trooper
It's quite easy really.

Just slacken both battery clamps but don't lift them off their posts. Turn on ignition then off. Just pull off one of the battery clamps within the 15 secs and then take your time with the other clamp.