Old mobile phones --- disposal problems? - Welliesorter
Anyone know of a reason not to dispose of mobiles with
uncancelled IME's?

The only reason for 'cancelling' an IMEI is when the phone is reported stolen. Doing so will bar its use on UK networks so that it's no use to a thief unless sent abroad. This works because the IMEI of a mobile phone is sent to the network every time it's switched on or used.

Orange do like you to give them the details of your phone; the advantage to you of doing so is that they could bar its use in the event of it being reported stolen. Other networks seem to care less about knowing which phone you're using, and even issue SIMs that can be used in any suitable phone. This often works out cheaper because you're not subsidising the cost of a phone through your call charges or rental. I've had an O2 SIM-only contract for several years. In my view, O2 don't need to be told what phone I'm using any more than BT need to be told what I'm plugging into my landline socket. I've also used Orange pay-as-you-go and contract SIMs in several unlocked (non-Orange) phones, without any problems.

In general, you're free to use any SIM in any suitable phone, provided that the phone isn't blacklisted or locked to a particular network. Even if the phone is locked, it's perfectly possible to get it unlocked, and the market stalls, shops and web sites that do a roaring trade in unlocking phones are doing nothing illegal. On the other hand, changing an IMEI, as might be done to circumvent the blacklisting of a stolen phone, is a crime.

In short, I don't see any reason not to give old phones to charity, although in the case of the bags, I'd want to make sure that they are issued by genuine charities!
Old mobile phones --- disposal problems? - BobbyG
In short, I don't see any reason not to give old phones to charity, although in the case of the bags, I'd want to make sure that they are issued by genuine charities!

If you go into your local Morrisons / Safeway , they are doing this same scheme for Breast Cancer and they will bag the phone up for you there and then.