93 VW Golf 1.4 starting problem - MGspannerman
My daughter has a VW Golf with 97k on the clock, in pretty good condition and appears tight and solid. Not too fast, but well built and I think a good type of car for her to run around in. One problem that has emerged after 3 months of ownership is an occasional starting problem. Turn the key - nothing. Come back later - starts on the button. On one occasion it died soon after starting but then restarted shortly afterwards. It had a new battery a couple of months ago, I invariably replace it just to ensure no problems later. I assume it is some electrical gizmo with an intermittent fault - one of those sensor thingies? Once they replaced dynamos with alternators I tended to lose the plot. Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Many thanks MGs
93 VW Golf 1.4 starting problem - Screwloose
MGspannerman

Can you expand on "nothing" a little. There are degrees of nothingness.

No electrics at all; no c/locking, interior lights; ignition lights. Dead.

Interior light; but no ign lights and no cranking.

Ign lights on; but no cranking.

Ign lights on; cranking but no starting.

Various faults apply to each scenario; so the more details the better. Has it got an immobilizer?
93 VW Golf 1.4 starting problem - reikione
As Screwloose says, The degree of nothingness is all important, but a common Golf problem is a faulty Ignition Switch.
93 VW Golf 1.4 starting problem - MGspannerman
Thank you for your sensible comments. In reality I dont actually know as I havent had too much of a chance to talk to my daughter, i have just got back this evening and apparently it happened again this afternoon. She called the breakdown service out and then it started - of course! - she has gone off babysitting and I will catch her when/if she gets back. My assumption is that everything is satisfactory but there is an intermittent failure as the key is turned. I took i tout last night and checked everything out - lights,wipers etc. There is/was an alarm (and maybe immobiliser) fitted, however we didnt know this on purchase as no key etc was supplied. However when I changed the battery a month or so ago this caused it to activate with flashing lights and blaring siren. I disconnected the siren and traced the wire back to a box under the dashboard for the aftermarket alarm system and simply removed the fuses. No problem with that thereafter.

I am contemplating getting an auto electrician in to take a look, as I simply dont have the time to do too much myself other than unplug/replace any obvious suspects.

Thanks in advance for any further comments, MGs
93 VW Golf 1.4 starting problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The start-then-stop scenario is classic immobiliser symptom, the engins runs briefly on the residual fuel in the system. Usually the immo will affect two sometimes three circuits ie fuel pump, ign and starter Get your electrician involved to totally remove the immo unit and restore the wiring.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!