Sony Head Unit Problem - BobbyG
I have a Sony Radio/Cassette with 6 disc multichanger. Model number XR-CA400.

For no apparent reason, the volume up button has started to give me problems. Sometimes it will just increase the volume to full volume all by itself, as if I was holding the button in. I can reduce the volume by pressing the volume down button. If i take the detachable fascia off and put it back on, although the unit lights up, I can't get it to switch on.

I am guessing that there is obviously a problem with the volume up button jamming or something. My question is - has anyone encountered something like this before? Is is worth me trying to open up the detachable fascia plate and see if there is anything obvious? I am scared to do this in case the full "insides" come apart and then it will be rendered useless!
Sony Head Unit Problem - Victorbox
Just a thought. Does it have one of those Speed Dependent Volume Controls that increases the volume as the background noise increases? If this is faulty I doubt there is much you can fix.
Sony Head Unit Problem - kennybase
I have a sony head unit too with a multichanger in the boot, and I find that I too have problems with it, but to your extent.

A good wipe of the gold contacts on both fascia and unit usually clears it up until the next time. I use cotton buds if there are some around, or my finger if not!