Mk5 Fiesta - Noisy thrust race / gearbox - nivek58
Hi
My son's Mk5 Fiesta y reg 29000 mls has a noisy thrust race and or gearbox.
I know a noisy thrust race is common on Fiestas and his car has this quite bad but a similar noise can be heard whilst driving through the gears, is it the thrust or worse?. If the gear lever is moved back or forward whilst driving in gear the noise gets even worse - it's like a high pitched buzz.
Any ideas or knowledge out there.
thanks, nivek9876
Mk5 Fiesta - Noisy thrust race / gearbox - Kingpin
I have experienced this on a 1998 1.25 model, 2000 1.25 Zetec and on the current 2003 1.4 Zetec. The gearboxes are very noisy with a constant whirring noise evident when stationary and in neutral, made slightly quieter by depressing the clutch. I think it is commonly referred to as 'layshaft or input shaft noise'. It is very annoying and by comparison my recent Punto was silent and no audible gearbox noise.
I believe it is only a manufacturing tolerance issue and they leave the factory and can last many thousand miles in this state.
Regarding your particular problem does the noise come from the actual gear lever when moved slightly or does it increase the noise from the gearbox area?
On my 1998 1.25 LX as the mileage got nearer 60k there was a marked increase in noise from the gearbox, particularly if in a low gear and moving off slowly you could hear a strange graunching noise as the bearing took the load pulling from low revs. Similar to turning into a side road in second gear at walking pace then at the point of applying power to build up to speed you would hear this noise. Possibly from the layshaft or clutch release bearing.
Other backroomers may have more specific info on what can cause or cure this fault. Possibly checking for low gearbox oil level.
However it may be a characterisic of this model and hard to eradicate.
Mk5 Fiesta - Noisy thrust race / gearbox - nivek58
Hi, Thanks for your reply, exactly as you describe, but the noise is from the gearbox area not the gear stick, can be made worse by pulling or even resting your hand on it, sounds like something is not quite lined up, bit like a non synchro gearbox of old, can't be heard outside the car though, can't really be low g/box oil level all underneath is dry as a bone, no leaks anywhere. nivek9876