Focus intermittent instrument failure - CAndyH
Please can anyone help regarding a problem I have with the dashboard instruments on my Ford Focus TDDI estate (02 reg, facelifted model)?

Several times in the last week, when I've turned the ignition on, the speedo, rev counter, fuel & temperature gauges, odometer and several (but not all) warnings lights have failed to operate. Each time the problem has gone away when I've used the car later and the instruments have returned to normal. The problem never occurs or fixes itself when the car is running - only when the ignition is switched on. The trip meter keeps its value and the dials don't do their self-test sweep.

The local Ford dealer say that it could be an earth, fuse or sensor problem. But since it is intermittent it's going to be hard to be sure of demonstrating the problem if I take it in to them.

I have tried remaking the earths next to the battery, removed and replaced fuses and jiggled the connector on the back of the instrument panel. I'm starting to think that it's either a faulty instrument panel or a 'sensor fault' (but which one?)

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Focus intermittent instrument failure - Snakey
I'm not 100% sure but I had similar intermittent dashboard problems on my 99 Focus. In my case all the instruments did a 'sweep' when the ignition was turned on, and then worked fine like yours.

After much checking and a 'diagnostic' test by a main dealer (who concluded the 1 month old battery was at fault) I followed the advice given here and changed the gearbox speed sensor (about £25) and in the last 12 months have never had the problem again.

It seems to be a common failure point on Focii but the effects vary.
Focus intermittent instrument failure - Roly93
I'm not 100% sure but I had similar intermittent dashboard problems
on my 99 Focus. In my case all the instruments did
a 'sweep' when the ignition was turned on, and then worked
fine like yours.
After much checking and a 'diagnostic' test by a main dealer
(who concluded the 1 month old battery was at fault) I
followed the advice given here and changed the gearbox speed sensor
(about £25) and in the last 12 months have never had
the problem again.
It seems to be a common failure point on Focii but
the effects vary.

This seems like the same effect you get after having disconnected the battery......
Focus intermittent instrument failure - Snakey
When I was having this problem, I put the old battery in as it still worked (it just struggled during the very cold mornings) and the problem was still there, discounting the main dealers answer that it was 'because I was using a non-Ford battery'

The day I changed the speed sensor (with the new battery on again) all became well again.

From speaking to the guy in the parts department, he said he sold 'a lot' of the sensors and he had about 20 in stock!
Focus intermittent instrument failure - CAndyH
Thanks for the advice.
I have cleaned up several earths and the problem has not reoccurred in the last week. I suspect that is coincidence and will have a look at the speed sensor next time (if) it happens.

The 'full sweep' of the instruments only occurs if I've pulled a fuse.