big, safe cars that go round corners - nutty_nissan
Right, now that I've sent the S80 back, I want to get another set of wheels. After most of my driving career spent driving very large, big fat engined, floaty cars with pillow soft rides, the few weeks I had with my 160 quid Primera opened my eyes to cars that with good roadholding abilities, and how that can actually be considered a "safety measure"!

Your advice needed please!

Important to me:
Lots and lots of front legroom with reach/rake wheel, as I have a knee injury and need to keep my leg as straight as possible.
Above average safety (with lots of stability control features too)
Lots of grunt, particularly lower end
Above average roadholding whilst still being a quiet and smooth ride (do many long trips each year) over to Europe

Naturally, prefer the highest spec possible. HAS to be auto.

Not bothered about petrol/diesel as I don't drive much, or the badge on the front of the car, or depreciation as I plan to keep it for a while.

Ideally, would like to get as recent a car as possible to avoid the "high mileage" driving and handling effect.

So far I have thought of, a Mondeo TDCi/2.5 V6, Peugeot 607, Saab 9-5, Vauxhall Omega, Citroen C5. Am upping my budget to between 8 and 10k.

One option may be to take my dad's 2 year old Vectra 3.2 V6 Elite Auto off him and get him a Focus Auto since he's retired now. Drove the Vectra yesterday after many months, and it was so effortless to drive with that engine.

P.S Have rented a Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 Hdi manual for a few days, which to be honest drives and rides ok, but feels gutless to me.
big, safe cars that go round corners - Nsar
Although I'm a fan of 9-5 and they meet the big and safe criteria, they're not the sharpest handling cars but an awful lot better than a 607. £8-10k will get you a fairly good one though. Clarkson memorably described the handling of the 607 as like a bouncy castle that has come loose in a strong wind.
big, safe cars that go round corners - peterb
C5 has magic carpet ride but isn't a handler - you'll hate it after the Primera
Even the 9-5 Aero Hot is a bad handler?
big, safe cars that go round corners - cheddar
Of the choice you have give, Mondeo, 607, 9-5, Omega and C5 only the Mondeo is a truly good handler, top draw in that respect. What about a Vectra like your dad's, not quite as sharp as a Mondeo though a good enough drive, cracking engine and real VFM. Re Mondeo's if you are not doing much mileage a 2.0 petrol auto Ghia or Ghia X would be good value and has a fair turn of speed with 145 bhp.
big, safe cars that go round corners - smokie
I used to change my cars pretty much annually until I got my latest, a '98 3.0 V6 Omega. Had it since 2001, gone from about 24k to nearly 120k miles in it.

It costs a few bob when things go wrong (which is not *that* often, touch wood), and routine stuff is on the high side - cambelt costs me about £240, tyres are usually £100 a corner. It's never been to a Vx dealer since I've had it.

I've had most of the "known" problems - camshaft sensor, three way valve, front bushes and no "unknown" ones (yet).

On the plus side, I've never had it serviced - just oil/filter changes (KwikFit or similar) every 6k - 10k miles and a new set of plugs at about 70k. I change the pollen and air filters myself occassionally.

I've used it for towing a seriously overloaded caravan to France once a year (averaging about 65mph!). Earlier this year I was lucky enough to be driving in Germany where I managed to get it up to 150mph a few times (on the speedo), and cruised effortlessy at 130 mph for huge stretches. Insurance group is high (15ish I think) but I have lots of no claims so not prohibitive.

It's well equipped, quiet, comfortable (sports seats, loadsa legroom) and sticks like the proverbial to the road.

I really quite fancy a Vectra 3.2 (Elite if poss) but seeing as I know I would miss the Miggy I am now thinking I will hang onto it for another year or so. It won't depreciate much more...

But you probably won't be able to find an expensive enough one to spend all your budget...
big, safe cars that go round corners - $till $kint
It's can't be long before Signums start to appear in your price bracket, especially at auction.
$$
Interesting comments so far. The only complaint I have about getting the Vectra from my dad is that the seats aren't as comfortable as other cars. For example, the S80's seats supported my entire body including my lower neck and shoulders, whereas the Vectra's seats seem better suited to someone smaller than 6'2".

I had a look at the Ford website and the performance figures for the 2.0 Auto and the 2.5 Auto are unimpressive.

Just found out I have to visit the other office once or twice a week, where most of the commute is on B roads. Another reason to get a decent car.
big, safe cars that go round corners - Nsar
Not sure you'd get an aero that you'd want for that kind of money, perhaps.
Might be able to convince dad to give me the 3.2 Vectra and for me to buy him a Astra 1.8 Club Auto. It would be a 6 month old model. The road tests say they are good cars. Any experience with the new shape Astra in the back room?