Clutch judder - Roly93
I have a fairly new A4 and suffer from clutch judder on initial pull-away after the car has been standing overnight. The problem seems to go away after I have pulled away about twice or have been driving for a couple of miles. My father who has a newish Passat has the same issue. Is this a characteristic of these cars and what could be causing this ?

Edited by Pugugly on 16/10/2009 at 11:37

Audi A4 clutch judder - 659FBE
Cold nights. Atmospheric water is condensing onto the cold flywheel and pressure plate surfaces, causing judder until the water dries off. Some friction linings are more prone to this than others - bad applications engineering I'm afraid.

Audi A4 clutch judder - mark999
I have the same problem with my 1.0 yaris especially during winter.
Audi A4 clutch judder - MoneyMart
Yep - I have a 2004 A4 TDi and mine did the same. Took it to Audi dealer who initially fobbed me off with "no fault found".

I eventually made them keep it overnight so they could see for themselves... it turns out it is a known problem, and if left unchecked can cause very extensive gearbox shaft damage!

They carried out a modification, and it hasn't done it since...

Audi A4 clutch judder - bimmer-driver
The exact same thing has started on my 35,000 mile Corsa now the weathers getting a bit colder- judders the first couple of times its let out after its been standing. Hopefully its nothing major

Ben
Audi A4 clutch judder - Roly93
Yep - I have a 2004 A4 TDi and mine did
the same. Took it to Audi dealer who initially fobbed me
off with "no fault found".
I eventually made them keep it overnight so they could see
for themselves... it turns out it is a known problem, and
if left unchecked can cause very extensive gearbox shaft damage!
They carried out a modification, and it hasn't done it since...

This is worrying, can you give us a bit more detail ?
My car only judders after a cold wet night standing outside what were your symptoms.
Audi A4 clutch judder - MoneyMart
Exactly the same. Only juddered the first couple of times you pulled away after standing outside overnight.

Some mornings it would be worse than others, though it was never extremely bad.

For some reason the judder was worse if you tried to pull away with fairly low revs. If you rev'd it higher it would usually be ok.

2004 A4 TDi Manual 30,000 miles-ish.

My advice is to persevere with the dealer. Make them keep it overnight and try it in the morning. If they still say they couldn't find a fault, park it up there overnight and meet them there first thing in the morning and go out with a mechanic with you driving to prove there is a fault. Oh, and make them provide a courtesy car while it's parked there!

Once they acknowledge there is a judder, you've then got to contend with them trying to fob you off with "it's normal".

Go to Audi customer services if you have to and kick and scream until they take it seriously. Remember - they know that if a major failure occurs, it will probably be after the 3 year warranty is up, so it won't be their problem!
Audi A4 clutch judder - El Dingo
I agree and had exactly this fault on my (now traded in) A4 2.6 FWD Avant. The dealer (White's Camberley) changed the clutch pressure plate under warranty. However, you are talking about a later model car, and this might not be relevant for that reason.

(White's were very good on warranty issues by the way, including the suspension kit recall that Audi tried to wriggle out of. Highly recommended).
El Dingo.
Audi A4 clutch judder - ka razy
I still have the same prob on a corsa 04 reg with only 13k on the clock as posted a few months ago..Had it back under warranty,left it overnight with them to be told no fault found.It surely at least must be doing damage to engine mounts.
Audi A4 clutch judder - John Hess
Yep - I have a 2004 A4 TDi and mine did the same. Took it
to Audi dealer who initially fobbed me off with "no fault found".
I eventually made them keep it overnight so they could see for themselves... it turns
out it is a known problem and if left unchecked can cause very extensive gearbox
shaft damage!
They carried out a modification and it hasn't done it since...

Same thing with my 2006 A4 Convertable 2.0 TDi. Will be out of warranty in 1 week. Took it into Audi Tamworth who initially said no fault. But after I played my face and went on a test drive with the chief technician (and it juddered) they have kept the car to fix the problem. i will keep you up dated .....
Audi A4 clutch judder - Chughz
Yep - I have a 2004 A4 TDi and mine did the same. Took it >> to Audi dealer who initially fobbed me off with "no fault found". >> >> I eventually made them keep it overnight so they could see for themselves... it turns >> out it is a known problem and if left unchecked can cause very extensive gearbox >> shaft damage! >> >> They carried out a modification and it hasn't done it since... >> >> >> Same thing with my 2006 A4 Convertable 2.0 TDi. Will be out of warranty in 1 week. Took it into Audi Tamworth who initially said no fault. But after I played my face and went on a test drive with the chief technician (and it juddered) they have kept the car to fix the problem. i will keep you up dated .....

Our 2009 TT's having (near-warranty-end) judder assessed in 6 days' time. Thanks so much for passing on your experience; but what was the outcome?

Audi A4 clutch judder - DF
Had my A4 in for a service yesterday and asked the garage to check out the judder on the clutch I was also experiencing. They readily offered to repair it under warranty - no quibble at all. My experience with the dealer has been very good (seems to be unusual for VAG) but the readiness of the offer to fix left me with the impression that it was a well known issue indeed.

Must book it in for the fix before warranty is out in a couple of months!

DF
Audi A4 clutch judder - Aprilia
I have heard of some VAG cars having replacement dual-mass flywheels. Wonder if its something to do with that?