Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - mal
Hi all, my sons girlfriend has just got herself a new job on the road in the north Nothumberland area, she loves the job but not the bit trying to find her way around. My son now wants to buy her a cheap sat nav.
Neither of them have the time to find out which one to buy so that job has been given to me. I have been doing some googling and have come up with the "Navman ICN320" available for £179 at Dixons online.
Has anyone any negatives or positives about this unit? or any other
recommendations for a unit under £200.

Regards Mal.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Altea Ego
The volume is quite low, the screen is small, but at that price its a steal.
Well, I have been doing some more googlng and we have come up with the "Garmin Streetpilot i3" which has more features, although it is not a touch screen, they are currently available at Staples for only £169. I have looked at another forum and in one thread of 34 postings on the Garmin there was nothing but positives for this unit. It can even have the locations of speed cameras and the required speed limits downloaded via their website.
Oh and BTW we are ordering 2, I am having one for myself!!.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - ablandy
i agree that the garmin looks like a good product, been thinking of getting one for my wife. i have got tomtom on a pda (i did actually buy her tomtom as well, but it all seemed a bit technical to her, so i "borrowed" it). The garmin looks simple and straightforward, and pretty compact.

If it dosent contravene any forum rules, could you post the catalogue number for the garmin at staples please. I tried to find it on there and failed. The cheapest i've found it before is £199.99.

thanks.
I looked at the Staples site and could not find them,they are advertised in todays Daily Mail at that price so might be only available at the stores but because the nearest store to me is over 40 miles away we are actualy ordering them from Comet online for either £175 or £179 each including delivery. We have previously bought 2 cameras from them and they are an ok outfit.
Hope this helps and does not as you say contravene any forum rules.
It is a a while since I last posted and rules were pretty strict then. I have actualy been ticked off before for misbehaving on this forum!!!!
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Stuartli
The originally £269 Acer N35 Pocket Chauffeur is being sold in refurbished form at £169.99 at www.bigpockets.co.uk

As TinyURL is not working at the moment with this website's products pages, just click on the Home Electrical and GPS link at the top of the page and then Sat Nav for details.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Had a look but that price is excluding vat which brings it to £199.
Thanks anyway for letting me know.
I have found a staples branch within traveling distance so have reserved 2 of only 6 they had left in stock as they are selling quick they said for £169.99 each.
Regards Mal.
>>but that price is excluding vat which brings it to £199>>

Apologies for that - missed it completely.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - rtj70
My local Tesco Extra is apparently getting Navman GPS units in next week. Assume it will be the same for other Tesco Extra stores.

Might be worth checking their prices out plus you can see the unit before purchasing.

Rob
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - nutty_nissan
Have u thought about getting a smartphone like a nokia 6600 off ebay which comes with bluetooth gps receiver and tom tom software? should be within ur budget.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - cheddar
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=35...3
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - v0n
microdirect.co.uk have Navman PPC with SpartST v3 on offer for £208. Proper screen, good software.
We now have our Garmin i3's and I am pleased to report that that it performs well with good timely prompts by a nice natural sounding english female voice, small screen but big enough and although not a touchscreen I found the scroll wheel and controll button a doddle to use.
We tried hard to get lost but were immediately directed back to the correct route.
All in all for the price I am greatly impressed, and although I have no experience of any other sat nav's I find this perfectly adequate with many features and fail to see what else I would need in one It was a further £1 cheaper at Staples due to the competition reducing their prices to match.

Regards Mal.
Hi just thought you might be interested in an update on the two Garmin i3's, not good news!!.
One was returned and replaced because of a faulty scroll wheel within 24 hours, and today the second, mine, has also developed fault on the scroll wheel and will be returned for a full refund.

I will do a bit more research before I choose my next sat-nav.

Regards Mal.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Welliesorter
PC Pro has a review of PDA sat-navs this month. You can find the reviews on their web site at www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/ .

Thanks for that WS looks like I may spend a bit more money because of the moral of the story being "you only get what you pay for" perhaps.
Regards Mal.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Welliesorter
It's worth mentioning that the Acer n35 recommended in the PC Pro article doesn't always get quite such good reviews elsewhere.

Have a look at Amazon.co.uk for some customer reviews, and also reviews.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,39030064,39188423,0...m .
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - rtj70
As follow up to Tesco having Navman units. they actually have Navman TomTom Go (300,500,700) and the Acer unit. Personally think the UI on TomTom is excellent.
Don't know if this will be suitable:

www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=3VZ7

It's £119 including VAT.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - smokie
I just read that too Stuart. Carefully! There isn't door to door satnav as far as I can tell - it can guide you to large towns, but not to specific addresses.

It's worth reading the spec of any cheap system properly and making sure it can do what you need it to - before buying!
>>I just read that too Stuart.>>

It came via a dabs.com e-mail and I did notice it mentioned some 2,500 towns etc.

I only passed it on out of interest - I've never really had any great use or even interest in sat-nav although I've used it in an S-Class - rather valuable at night on narrow Cornish roads when last down there...:-)

However, it's claimed the dabs.com example was £199 before the reduction, so the limitations you mention may well have a bearing on the fact it's been reduced so substantially..-)
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - apm
Link to another thread- www.grandprixlegends.com/ThingsForTheCarSite/pages...p have a system for £199 that works direct with a smartphone, thinking of one for my 6680.

HTH,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - buzbee
It's worth mentioning that the Acer n35 . . . doesn't always get quite such good reviews. . ..

There seems to be an anomally here somewhere. The Cnet review is just one review and says it is OK but nothing to rave about.

Elsewhere, ebuyer displays 128 reviews for it of which more than 80% give it 5 stars and rave about it and the rest are almost all 4 stars.

Their reviewers also talk of inserting much bigger SD cards -- up to 1 gig! -- to be able to do other things with it, like playing music etc.

They also have a cure for the re-boot oddity, highlighted by cnet, that occurs when re-inserting the SD map card. They simply rename the boot file.

They also keep back-up copies on other SD's.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - bmwfan
Acer N35 has got very fiddly annoying interface & build issues (highest return rate out of all the main consumer units - actually the Magellan 300 was even worse but everywhere soon stopped selling it). I'd seriously recomend a TomTom 300 which are doing the rounds for 299.99 at the moment, in a different class to the Garmin i3 and Navman 320 as is has a touch screen of 3.5" size so much easier to use. Even better, there's a TomTom One coming out very soon priced at around the £249.99 mark which is 3.5" touchscreen and full tomtom functionality - well worth the extra cash. Considering the current price war going on with sat nav, someone will probably drop it to 229.99 for xmas anyway - a complete bargain.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - grn
Bought an I3 also ...no problems.
There is a published issue with the scroll wheel - which is cured by updating the i3's firmware from the Garmin website.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - NARU
I've just bought a Navman icn610 from dabs - half price (£179) at the moment - excellent value.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Conditional Identity
I've just bought a Navman icn610 from dabs - half price
(£179) at the moment - excellent value.

To save anyone looking this is not available now sadly
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - NARU
Gosh that sold out quickly - there were 60 left instock at the weekend, 40 yesterday and now none. Sorry folks.
Acer N35 has got very fiddly annoying interface & build issues (highest return rate out of all the main consumer units

Bmwfan, It sounds like you might have just saved me a problem. I was awaiting an email reply to mine that asked if the latest 'Destinator PN' software for the n35 had postcodes (I suspect it does not!)and was going to buy one if they said yes. --- I will go back to sitting on the fence for a while.

Any views on this PN software?
- bmwfan: Acer N35 has got very fiddly annoying interface . . . I'd seriously recommend a TomTom 300 which are doing the rounds for 299.99 at the moment

The Navman ICN 520 [Touch screen, 5 digit post codes, POI etc] is presently being offered for same price. Looks an interesting stocking filler. Any views?

The software, when the 520 was released in July, was version 3.5 with version 4.0 to follow. So 'what software' might be a useful question for the £299 sellers.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - MoneyMart
My Garmin I3 works fine.

What's the problem with the scroll wheel? (and what's the fix?)
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Waino
Sorry, I have to admit my ignorance - I've never used satnav and rely entirely on OS maps for my work. Is there a satnav system that can utilise OS map ref numbers? Do they normally work on address/postcode?
A couple of weeks ago when I was working in Norfolk a chap stopped his car and asked where he was - I informed him 'Overstrand'. He was using his satnav and said he thought he was in Fakenham - which is about 25miles WSW. I should have asked him what make his satnav was!
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - PhilW
Memory Map (and others) use OS map refs and can locate you to an accuracy of a 10 fig grid ref (Is that to 10 metres?)Latest version, I hear, has both 1:50,000 maps for the whole country and 1:25,000 for large areas. Don't think it is a true "satnav" system in the usual sense but it's brilliant for walking, cycling etc (and finding out exactly where you are on a Scottish mountain in very thick fog/low cloud!!)
www.memory-map.co.uk/
Phil
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Waino
Thanks for the comments re: Memory Map - I'll check the website.
I think that a 10 fig grid ref (i.e. 5 eastings, 5 northings) should take you down to a 1 metre square. The first 2 figures identify a 1km square.
I've been using a handheld GPS unit which gives you 10 figures, but accuracy depends on local GPS coverage and, I suspect, cloud cover and atmospheric conditions. I haven't used it for a few months but IIRC, at best, it was accurate to 10-20 metres. I suspect that, just because it gives you 10 figures, it doesn't mean it's accurate to 10 figures [just as my my Mondeo speedo goes up to 150, it doesn't mean it'll do that!].
My boss told me that he will be testing a new 'GPS' unit which uses land-based stations in addition to satelites - and that is reckoned to be more reliable. I must remember to ask him how he got on with it.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - Altea Ego
As it happens, been using the ICN520 today. It does the job fine, the volume could be louder tho.
Any advice on sat nav for under £200 - PhilW
Maybe it is now "satnav".
Quote from Memory Map site "Plan routes, print maps, interface with a GPS and use "real" maps that give you the same detail as the paper originals! Use with a Pocket PC for a complete colour handheld navigation system.
Available with a choice of inclusive maps."
Someone will be along to tell you!!

Phil