Honda lock up - Star
A friend advised today her three month old Honda locked up whilst driving, she cruised whilst fighting with the steering wheel with lights flashing all over the dashboard. Eventually it freed up and she took it straight to the Honda garage where from 11.30 to 4.00 it was studied by the mechanics who said it had happened a couple of times before and started muttering about replacing the steering rack.

Anyone else heard of this? As soon as I remember details of actual vehicle I will let you know.
Honda lock up - Star
Bump
Honda lock up - Altea Ego
There is a major clue here. Blackpool illumination on the dash.

It sounds like the engine stalled, hence lack of power steering and possible brakes. I dont know of too many power steering systems that bring up warning lights, so changing racks and things may be a waste of time.
Honda lock up - Xileno {P}
I'm always a bit suspicious when parts get replaced. It's often a case of not knowing what else to do. However, that may not be the case in this example.
Honda lock up - cheddar
Does it have electically assisted steering, like C-Max, Punto etc?
Honda lock up - AR-CoolC
This may help, looks like an ignition problem.

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand....4
Honda lock up - cheddar
But this car is three months old only.
Honda lock up - Armitage Shanks {p}
Very worrying but let the dealer fix it under warranty and supply a courtesy car or take it back and reject it.
Honda lock up - Star
More information - this vehicle was an 02 reg (not new - sorry) 1.4 Honda Civic. Apparently the steering failed.
Honda lock up - mfarrow
the steering failed.

No, the power steering stopped functioning. As RF says, it needs the engine running to get the hydraulic fluid flowing. With illuminations as described this sounds very much like the engine stalled.

One of the major pitfalls of power steering systems.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Honda lock up - Pete M
How could she have 'cruised' while fighting the steering if the engine had stalled? Don't some modern cars have electric power steering? I'm not sure what the Honda has.
Honda lock up - NowWheels
If the steering was playing up, then I'd whack the hazard flashers on and brake to a halt ASAP ... unless I was on a motorway, in which case I'm not sure what I'd do. It sounds like this woman didn't brake.

Am I missing something?
Honda lock up - AR-CoolC
More information - this vehicle was an 02 reg (not new
- sorry) 1.4 Honda Civic. Apparently the steering failed.

Hi Star

I should get in touch with the dealer and show them the info I sent in the earlier VOSA link. 02 plate is from March on and the recalled vehicles start in June, It looks more amnd more likely it it to do with the ignition and not the actual power steering.

Cheers