clio brakes - Big I
My wife has a 94 clio 1.4 automatic,and every time the car is driven from being stood,there seems to be a lot of travel on the brake pedal & very little braking effect.Once the brakes are pumped several times they feel fine & work well.I have had the brakes bled & pads & shoes are fine,iam wondering could the problem lie in the servo or mastercylinder,i have noticed a hissing sound coming from the brake pedal when applied, before the pedal is pumped up.
clio brakes - Civic8
I think master cylinder is likely cause,though you mentioned pads and shoes are fine.this does not mean the rear wheel cylinders/caliper piston seals are ok,unless they were checked ok?.Not always visible without checking under dust rubbers
--
Steve
clio brakes - Big I
Thanks steve.o,I did check the rear brake cylinders for any fluid leaks & shoes. But there was no sign of any fluid leak& seals looked in good condition,so as you said,i think it could be the master cylinder at fault,looks a real pig for access though,a few scraped knuckles i think.Can it be replaced as a complete unit or is it a rebuild kit (seals e.t.c)?.Does anyone know the price of one of these, are they a main dealer part only? Ian.
clio brakes - Rover25
Master cylinder's are available from Euro Car Parts, priced at £29.35 according to their website.
clio brakes - Big I
Thanks Rover25,i will look at there website,sounds reasonably priced too.
clio brakes - kennybase
looks a real pig for access though,a few scraped knuckles i think.

Just like all the jobs on the Clio then :-)
clio brakes - Big I
Yes iam begining to realise that,better stock up on elastaplasts as well.