Peugeot 306 Auto Stalling Problem - Sonix
Hi,
I own a V Reg Peugeot 306 Automatic (from new) and recently have started to have a problem with the engine stalling when at traffic lights / junctions - this could happen in any weather conditions and makes no difference if the car is cold/hot. It doesn't always stall sometimes it is fine and other times the revs will just drop and the engine will cut out.
I've scoured the net trying to find an answer to the problem as my local peugeot garage can't find anything wrong! it's been hooked up to their computer many times and nothing has been reported.
On reading others experiencing the same problem in forums on the net it seemed there was two faults that was the likely culprit - The Stepper Motor Idle Controller or a damaged ECU.
Armed with this information I went back to my dealer and asked them to change the Stepper Motor Idle Controller hoping this would fix the problem....but, no. A new stepper motor was installed and the problem persisted. My peugeot garage then suggested sending the ECU to a company who could repair them - which I did, but I've just heard back from them saying the ECU has no problems and is working fine!

So, has anyone else had this kind of problem? Is there anyone with any idea of the next step I can take? The peugeot garage seems to be out of ideas now and my car has been stuck in their garage for the last 6 weeks, but I'm still no closer to having it repaired :(

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help!
Peugeot 306 Auto Stalling Problem - SjB {P}
Does it still stall if you slip the gear selector in to neutral each time you come to a halt?
No, it only seems to stall when in 1st gear and the car comes to a complete stop (eg waiting at traffic lights). It doesn't seem to stall if I can slowly 'roll' towards a junction etc, it's only a problem if I stop completely. It will stall sometimes while it's stationary or sometimes as I'm pulling away and start to depress the throttle.
It may be worth mentioning too, that if I put it into neutral at a junction it will sometimes stall when I engage 'drive' also.
Peugeot 306 Auto Stalling Problem - Bates Motel
Hi, sounds identical to my experience. Turned out to be burnt input connectors on the ECU - Not repairable, the ECU repair shop couldn't detect a problem because the extra resistance on the sensors was negligible on their equipment but it started to run uneven within 30 seconds of starting from cold. I ended up having to replace the ECU which wasn't cheap. The problem was caused by a cowboy Catalytic converter and Lambda replacement. Hope I'm not right.