VW Passat TDi loss of acceleration - summerflame
I have a problem with loss of acceleration. I can put my foot to the floor but it will not accelerate. However if I take it out of gear then back into gear and try again there is a puff of black smoke from the exhaust then it seems to be OK. Any Ideas? Thanks
VW Passat TDi loss of acceleration - mare
Try several forum search (over to the right of the screen) for Audi TDI, skoda TDI etc. Loss of power appears to be quite common on VAG TDI's.

Completely unscientific guess: MAF sensor
VW Passat TDi loss of acceleration - ChrisJones
Hi, I had exactly this on my 1.9 TDI 115 BHP. Drove like a dog! More like 15BHP! This is a known component failure at apparently around 70000 miles. Mine lasted to 110000. There is a sensor on the turbo which is something to do with cooling the air? Can you tell im not technical?! Anyways, a VW service department will know straight away. The bad news is it cost be about £300 to have changed but considerably cheaper than a new turbo
VW Passat TDi loss of acceleration - LotusMike
I had just the same problem on an Audi A4 TDI at about 100,000 miles. It was the air mass flow meter. My excellent local garage fixed it for about £90. I wouldn't go to a main agent for this one.
VW Passat TDi loss of acceleration - Roly93
Very very common problem with all VaG diesels with 70K+ miles.
MAF sensor problem. This item measures the amount of air being sucked into the engine and adjusts fuelling accordingly.
Very easy to change as all you really need is a screwdriver.
The MAF sensor is mounted on a plastic tube on the OUTLET of the air filter box (the thingy with the connector on it).
Check on Ebay there are several people selling them, or alternatively Euro Car parts, that is unless you want a huge bill from the main-dealer !