Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - rich212
Just been stopped by a mobile VOSA unit who claimed the windows on my old Land Rover Discovery are excessively tinted (they were factory fitted by Land Rover). They've issued me a prohibition notice & I have to get the front & side windows changed within 10 days or risk prosecution. Also have to have another MOT done (current one is only 2 months old!!)as well as going to the local VOSA centre to get the prohibition order lifted. The tinted windows are not part of the MOT process. What in God's name is going on here!!

{Subject header amended so as not to be confused with yet another general discussion on tinted windows - DD}
Tinted Windows - $till $kint
Yet another one of Tony's infinite army of state stormtroopers.

Last year the DoT decided to impose a limit on the level of tint that is acceptable on the front and frontside windows. The glass must allow 70% light transmission. If you do a google you'll find there have been rather a lot of cases where the lightmeter used in the inspection has given rather different readings to those given in a tinting workshop. I've no idea if there is an appeals process (probably not with VoSA) or if they have to demonstrate that their lightmeter is correctly calibrated.
Tinted Windows - Xileno {P}
This is ridiculous if true. Presumably the issue here is that with tinted windows, the driver's vision is impaired. So how does that square with drivers wearing sun glasses then?
Tinted Windows - BazzaBear {P}
This is ridiculous if true. Presumably the issue here is that
with tinted windows, the driver's vision is impaired. So how does
that square with drivers wearing sun glasses then?

Sunglasses can be taken off when it goes dark...
Tinted Windows - Waino
Sunglasses can be taken off when it goes dark...

Years ago I thought I was soooo cool with my tinted vizor on my motorbike crash helmet - until I had to ride home in the dark....
Tinted Windows - rich212
Excellent point - I'll use that in that in the appeal - thanks
Tinted Windows - runboy
Surely factory fitted will not be a problem, if so do you have recourse with Land Rover for fitting illegal items?

It it is illegal, will Land Rover send out notices to all owners?
Tinted Windows - kithmo
Surely factory fitted will not be a problem, if so do
you have recourse with Land Rover for fitting illegal items?
It it is illegal, will Land Rover send out notices to
all owners?

It may depend on the age of the vehicle, if the regulation came out in 1986 and if the vehicle is older than this, Land Rover could argue that it was not illegal when manufactured and the responsibility is on the owner to comply with new regulations. if the vehicle is newer than 1986 then I would think that the onus would be on Land Rover (or who ever owns it now) to correct the infringement of the regulation (i.e. there should have been a recall (Unless it's an import).
Tinted Windows - rich212
It's a 1994 "M" - registration number still engraved on front screen
Tinted Windows - AR-CoolC
I can tell you now Rich, yuor car didm't come with extra dark glass from the factory, it has been added aftermarket.
Tinted Windows - rich212
I did'nt know this regulation existed but I really cannot believe that the tint is excessive - nothing like I see on numerous other vehicles - the guy at the garage who has done the last couple of MOTs on the car was gobsmacked & phoned the MOT helpline who confirmed that this was not part of the MOT process - an appeal was suggested.

Thanks
Tinted Windows - Dynamic Dave

Not sure if this is any help or not?

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/tinted%20windows...f

Did the mobile VOSA unit have any testing equipment with them, or was a subjective assessment carried out, as mentioned at the bottom of the pdf document?

Also see this link.

www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2276.asp
Tinted Windows - runboy
Also, why a full MOT? If you are stopped by plod and given a VDRS, usually the MOT station will charge for testing the item in question only, not do a full MOT. All the MOT station has to do is see if the glass is ok, not do a full check.
MOT station is unable to check light transmission levels, they don't have the equipment.

The law is that for any car built since '85 the windscreen must transmit 75% of light and the front side windows 70%. It's 70% for both front and front side.

IF you have have the vehicle from new and it has the standard glass, approach Land Rover for an explanation. I'll bet you anything you like that the roadside team got a faulty reading IF you have factory glass.
Sorry, that should be 70% for both for pre 1985 cars.

Didn't I used to have an edit button to stop this?

Oh yeah, I gave it back didn't I.....
Tinted Windows - Dynamic Dave
Oh yeah, I gave it back didn't I.....

I thought that was Reggie?
Tinted Windows - Number_Cruncher
I haven't seen the kit that VOSA are using but the reflection and transmission coefficients are dependent upon the angle of incidence. Even nominally clear glass behaves as an excellent mirror if you get the angle right (or being more pedantic beyond a critical angle).

Knowing the technical level of expertise of most VOSA inspectors, I think this *may* be asking too much of them.

Number_Cruncher
Tinted Windows - Dipstick
An almost identical problem occurred with a member of my car club who was stopped by a patrol and told to remedy it.

He was not the first owner of the car. However the supplying dealer was convinced that the windows were NOT tinted and the vehicle was as factory supplied, and he was too.

He went through hoops and hoops with the manufacturer trying to find out the details of the amount of light the oem glass transmitted, even trying to get sight of the original type approval documents etc.

It took a lot of sorting, but in the end it transpired a previous owner had indeed fitted a VERY expensive and VERY subtly done tinted film to the glass which it took an expert to detect and remove.

Is there perhaps any chance something similar has happened?

Your friend. Wasn't driving a blue Lexus GS by any chance?
Tinted Windows - Dipstick
Assuming that's aimed at me; yes indeed, although the word "friend" or even "acquaintance" would not be true. I try to avoid that L word in every post otherwise it will take on the repetitious nature of word like, ooh I don't know, Mondeo TDCi.

I read his tale of woe here:

www.lexusownersclub.co.uk
Nothing wrong with Mondeo TDCi's. If bland is your thing. ;op

ANYhow..... back to the subject. There are more and more cases like this coming up. It's only a matter of time before there is an appeal, with all the press coverage that will entail.

If the Landy in question proves to have original glass, this could get interesting.
Tinted Windows - Dwight Van Driver
It is as VOSA states visual transmission of light not less than 75% front windscreen 70% side windows. (MV Con and Use Regs 1986 Reg 32(10) Table II.)

As stated not an item subject of annual MOT but see later..

Under Road Traffic Act 1988 as amended an Authorised examiner - includes VOSA as well as certain Police Officers, can test a vehicle on a road to ascertain that Con and Use Regs requirements are being kept to.(Sect 67)

If on inspection defect found and unlikely to be fit for service then can issue an immediate prohibition (PG 9)on use on a road or issue prohibition to come into force at such time not later than 10 days after date of inspection as seems appropriate by the examiner. The prohibition can be made to be irremovable in the case of a vehicle that is subject to MOT until such time as new MOT issued. Written notice must be given to this effect .(Sect 69(3))

By virtua of the The Road Vehicles (Prohibition) Regulations 1992
Section 69A(3) of the 1988 Act enables a prohibition to be imposed on a vehicle which is subject to the MOT testing scheme making it irremovable until it has been inspected and an MOT test certificate issued. Persons who can then remove the prohibition and the requirements which have to be complied with where a prohibition has been imposed with a direction under section 69A(3) where a vehicle examiner has issued a relevant test certificate, the prohibition may be removed by?
(a) the vehicle examiner who issued the certificate, or
(b) a person who has been authorised for the purpose by or on behalf of the Secretary of State and to whom the certificate has been produced.

The prohibition may also be removed by a person who has been authorised for the purpose by or on behalf of a chief officer of police and to whom a relevant test certificate has been produced at a police station.

So it would seem if no other defects were present at initial examination it all hinges on the accuracy of the Opacity Meter. Other than Police or VOSA I know of no other avenue to explore to have a second opinion reading performed. Maybe Trading Standards have access or advise where such a test can be made. The only other options are to make contact with a Landrover Dealer and see what they make of the situation bearing in mind the windows were as standard fitted on purchase new and if they can provide a defence OR consider visiting a VOSA Test Station (ordinary MOT Station will not have a device ) on a clear day and ask for a second reading. Obviously if this differs from that originally quoted then it would appear there are grounds for arguement detrimental to a prosecution, the prohibition issued on incorrect grounds and a MOT therefore not necesssary.

Finally how does one issue a Test Certificate for a non-testable item. It will not show that the light problem has been addressed?

dvd
Forgot to add that there is an avenue of appeal through, not a Magistrates Court, but Sec of State for Transport.

dvd
So it really is Tony's stormtroopers then. 8-0

I'm astonished that they are able to act in this manner with no readily accessible route of appeal. Let's face it, SoS for Tran is hardly likely to resolve matters within 10 days, leaving you severely inconvenienced whilst it sits in the in tray. I'm astonished...... but I shouldn't be.
Tinted Windows - Chad.R
:: Devils advocate mode on ::

....Under Road Traffic Act 1988.......

...By virtua of the The Road Vehicles (Prohibition) Regulations 1992

I don't think the current lot were around then...

:: Devils advocate mode off ::
There was a change to the way the law was implimented last year.

I think that sits firmly in Tony's court.
Tinted Windows - helicopter
Well I just had a chat with a very nice young lady at VOSA because I felt Rich has been very hard done by.

There may be some hope...

I was advised that there certainly should be no need for another MOT , there should be only a check at a VOSA station after glass replacement .Check with the officer who issued the prohibition as there seems to be a misunderstanding on this.

Any appeal should be via the VOSA issuing office in Richs area and the officer who issued the subjective prohibition.Contact him and request that a proper measured test is carried out rather than a subjective one. If he refuses ask to speak to his boss.

Get details if possible of the exact tint on the vehicle from the manufacturers before a retest is carried out .

Rich -if you have legal expenses cover see if they will take this up for you.

If possible get an expert on window tinting or a solicitor to accompany you to any retest.

My own opinion is that the officer issuing a subjective prohibition is on very dodgy ground and may back off if you come back with legal and technical backup.

Well done Helicopter.

dvd
Tinted Windows - rich212
You're a gent - thanks very much
Tinted Windows - henry k
The regulations appear to be designed for the usual range of mechanical problems that would have to be fixed before a vehicle could pass a MoT.
It appears the tinted windows problem has really come about since the regs were drawn up and this procedure is all VOSA can fall back on.
In reality it is a penalty charge of a visit to and the cost of a MoT. Even then it is deeply flawed as the data from the time that VOSA complained is not a lot of use to an MoT station.
If you just took it as it is to an MoT station and said is this OK? what would happen
Or even told the MoT tester that there are now more transparent windows would this ever be challenged.

Tinted Windows - Dalglish
read his tale of woe here:

>>

over at that forum,
www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopi...3

it says
" ....
After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations

Tinted Windows - J Bonington Jagworth
"Above 30% Visible Light Transmission "

Don't they mean 30% attenuation?
Tinted Windows - Number_Cruncher
Thinking a bit more about it, the reflection and transmission coefficients are usually also be functions of the wavelength of light used to perform the test. If the tint happens to filter light very effectively at the wavelength of light chosen, then you may get an odd result.

It is, however, possible that the meters used by VOSA consider this effect.

Number_Cruncher
Tinted Windows - J Bonington Jagworth
If it hasn't been done already, I think it would be worth getting the use of a suitable device to see how borderline it is. If nothing else, it can't hurt to have your own measurement data to fall back on, especially if it's within the allowed limit.

Surely it's up to the authorities to prove their case?

I know Blair and his shower are keep on destroying the presumption of innocence, but it ain't gone yet...
Tinted Windows - Pugugly {P}
If they are Type Approved which they must be if they are OE. The light transmission factor will be etched into the glass near the the maker's name and Euro comlpience data.
Tinted Windows - henry k
If they are Type Approved which they must be if they are OE. The light transmission factor will be etched into the glass near the maker's name and Euro complience data.

>>
Provided the tint has not been supplemented with another layer.

as was stated earlier
>>Dipstick
>>It took a lot of sorting, but in the end it transpired a previous owner had indeed fitted a VERY expensive and VERY subtly done tinted film to the glass which it took an expert to detect and remove.
Tinted Windows - Pugugly {P}
Sorry I missed that one...
Tinted Windows - buzbee
1) I was surprised to see the VOSA rules make use of two figures differing by only 5%, bearing in mind the accommodation of the eye. The benefit of the 5% complication are negligible.

2) One stop down on a camera is 50% of the previous light through the lens in the same light conditions -- two stops down reduces light to 25%.

3) The light adaptability of the eye is many stops but, of course, when light is poor you want as much of it as possible

4) There are still many light meters about, of which the Weston meter used to be very reliable and the calibration did not change much with time. In this case, to do a check on your glass, absolute calibration does not matter, just the ability for the meter to show a stop change in its reading reasonably accurately.

Using (4) you should be able to make an approximate measurement of the light loss of your glass. For the side windows you could roll the window down while holding the meter steady. This is far more accurate that holding the meter outside and then inside the car.

This will not be accurate enough for a court case, but it could, for instance, show you a stop change, or best part of one, in which case, there would be little chance of your glass passing an official test. And you can test at other light levels elsewhere on the meter.

Finally, don't be too surprised if you find the measured loss of the tint is much more than you expected because the eye compensates, the meter does not! Thus a slight dimming seen by the eye can turn out to be much more on the meter.
Tinted Windows - rich212
Thanks - yes they had some sort of magnetic device that they used to measure the light transmission.

Tinted Windows - Bill Payer
Sorry if this is buried somewhere in the thread, but why not take the vehicle to the local VOSA test centre and ask them to retest? It's likely to be a less adversarial relationship than exists at a road-side check and they may just say the mobile tester was talking rubbish.

Perhaps the MOT thing is just a way of 'suspending' the cars MOT to ensure it shows as un-MOT'd in the event of any future roadside check?
My understanding after my chat with VOSA it is that Rich can only appeal to get the prohibition lifted by going back to the officer who issued the prohibition at his local VOSA centre.

As I said above after talking with VOSA , if he has some evidence from manufacturers that it is the original glass and he has an expert with him to contradict the issuing officer on technical / legal grounds then they may be forced to back off but not necessarily so.However if they have the legal power to issue a prohibition then they can rescind it..

I would take the 'treat sympathetically' approach.

I would explain to the officer that the glass is original and how you feel the prohibition is harsh and ask what right of appeal you have and to whom at VOSA. Go up the chain of command to his boss.

However - I am not an expert or a solicitor. I would suggest a solicitor / tinting expert accompany you for a re-test.

Being honest about it , this may cost you more than replacing the glass so its up to you Rich as to how far you want to take it and how much you want to spend.As i say , the legal expenses insurance may cover this.

Good Luck whatever happens.
Tinted Windows - Bill Payer
So my suggestion (of asking for a 're-test') is based on the assumption that the mobile operator has got it wrong. Hopefully a retest would show all is OK. If it doesn't then everything gets much more complicated and I'd start by having words with Land Rover.
It might not be practical to go back to the issuing officer as he could be based elsewhere. Even if he is local, it might be better to get another (or a more senior) officers opinion.
Bill - I am assuming that the issuing officer will be based at the VOSA office local to rich.

rich will no doubt have the necessary paperwork to tell him where and who to contact.
Tinted Windows - none
I'd go along with AR-CoolC view. Mobile Vosa testers see hundreds of windscreens every day, a good screen passes unnoticed, a bad one sticks out like a sore thumb.
I wonder how many other motorists were issued with a similar prohibition notice at the same place and time.
Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - Cyd
The requirement for 75% light transmission only applies to the windscreen. Side glass has a 70% requirement. However, the original side glass is made from the same glass as the windscreen and so would have 75%+ transmission.

Pilkington made all the glass for Discos I and II. back in Disco I days it was still branded Triplex. Does your side glass have the Triplex logo in the bottom corner?

If it does not, then it is not the original glass.

If it does, then it is the original glass. in which case i see only two possibilities: 1) the test was carried out erroneously or the test equipment was faulty / uncalibrated, 2) some extra tinting has been applied to the glass by a previous owner either as a spray or film.

Pilkington (and other glass manufacturers) DO NOT make glass in small batches for each vehicle manufacturer. Glass is made in a continuous production process at the rate of thousands of tonnes per day in very large sheets. these sheets go on to be cut and used for lamination or toughening as required.

I can tell you as a matter of fact that Land Rover only ever fitted type approved glass, meeting the appropriate legislative requirements to all its vehicles. Only with Disco II did dark (Sundym) glass become an option - and then only behind the B post.
Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - SlidingPillar
I'm not a defender of the over tint brigade, since it frankly annoys me have to treat them as blind to everything (as you can't see, they've seen).

But something aint right here, and as far I am aware, no Britsh made car with any of its options has annoyed me thus.

The Alpine lights on a Disco 2 are plastic. And in the one I had some years ago, made by some South American company. Do they match the windows?

On mine, which was a normal tinted vehicle (same all round) straight from Land Rover, they were as near perfect a match as I could tell. Given they are sharply curved and plastic, could they have been left alone?

I'm assuming Sundyn equiped wagons did have darker alpine lights, but no one in their right mind would change these unless broken or scratched as most of the water leaks in these vehicles was from the alpine lights (mine leaked like a sieve until the dealer fixed it).

Shed loads of questions and ponderings here - a good long established LR dealer ought to be helpful here since there is a suggestion that a factory supplied vehicle, unmodified is now not legal. Which I would not like if I was a dealer.

Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - adverse camber
Any chance of a photo of the car ? I would be interested to see what it looks like, how dark the windows are.

I will be seeing a vosa inspector this afternoon - I will ask about it. Dare I ask where you were stopped ?
Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - Fullchat
Why not contact your local Traffic Department or their Vehicle Investigation Dept and see if they have the 'Tintman' equipment. Ask them if they will check the glass on your vehicle. I am sure they would oblige. Then take it from there.

Fullchat
Tinted Windows - VOSA prohibition order - adverse camber
I spoke to a VOSA bod this afternoon at a family party. They are clamping down and have been looking at windows in a more serious way over the last couple of years.
I am told that the standard policy is that for windows passing less than 30% of light, vehicle is immediatly off the road (They recently came across an suv which had only 2% through the side windows - and the driver had sunglasses on!). 30% - 45% is followed by the action that started this thread, 10 days to sort out and fix. 45-70% gets a warning and they note the vehicle - don't get caught again. In all cases they will try to encourage the immediate removal of the film.
(dont hold me to the figures - I didnt write them down)

Apparently, a lot of 'privacy' glass is not done at the factory but at the dealers, either by the dealer or by a third party so no manufacturer involvment. Some dealers have had action taken against them as well, although I didnt ask under what legislation.

People do get fined, a recent case involved someone who got a notice, took the car in to be checked after removing the glass. The car had to be passed as OK, but when the owner was stopped again they prosecuted. £500+costs.

It seems that it doesnt take much to drop the figure below 70%, even quite a light tint combined with the standard tinted glass. The person I spoke to had not verified it, but it is reported that some of the new small bmw/mini's arrive from the factory with a figure of 68%. If that is the case then I guess that there will be some activity between vosa and bmw that will clarify the situation.