Fiat Panda choice - Kingpin
I am considering changing my 2001 Punto for a nearly new Panda. My local Fiat dealership is offering brand new 55 reg 1.1 Active Pandas at £4995 on the road which seems like an absolute bargain to me. Alternatively they have 12 month old 1.2 Dynamic models at £5295. Has anyone experience of these cars? I know HJ rates them highly and it seems a more modern car than the Punto which is due to be replaced. Would you think it better to go for the 1.2 model with 12k showing rather than brand new 1.1 base with zero miles? My Punto is a 1.2 and I imagine in a smaller Panda it would be plenty fast enough.
Thanks
Fiat Panda choice - Martin Wall
The price on the 1.1 Panda seems very good - is that unregistered (with you as first owner) or pre-registered (where dealer is first owner - although car is unused)?

Dealers pre-register cars to meet sales targets - if they are 1 car away from selling e.g. 50 cars and reaching that target means they'll get and extra £100 for each of those 50 cars they can afford to sell some cars at what appears to be a loss. Or if they can't seel them they just register them in their own name - thus counting as a sale.

Are you trading-in your Punto? I would imagine you won't be offered much against a new Panda that's only costing 5K. Again need to consider the overall cost to change.

Anyway if it was me I would go for the brand-new 1.1 as you get the full 3 years warranty and AA cover as well I believe. How many miles has the 1.2 car? What was it used for etc? With the 1.1 you know that the tyres, brakes, exhaust etc. are (hopefully!) as new.

Good luck!
You are right Martin, it is pre-registered to the dealer but that doesn't really bother me. Only has two miles on the clock so brand new in effect. The 1.2 models have been used as demonstrator or courtesy cars with 7k or 12k on the clock.
As you say my Punto isn't worth much but it's getting a bit frayed around the edges now. Noticed the clutch juddering lately each morning and suspension creaking. The thought of a brand new car is very tempting. Also Panda is new design. Only choice is between mambo yellow or what Fiat call 'easy listening green'. Quite amusing.
Fiat Panda choice - Avant
'easy listening green'...

Is that a polite name for Channel Passenger Green?

Come to think of it, Acanthus is a much better name for a colour.
Fiat Panda choice - doctorchris
Go for the 1.2, you will appreciate the better performance and the car will br good as new at 12 months as they are well screwed together. I don't know about the colours since Fiat renamed them, but if the yellow is that pale, almost creamy, shade I would go for that rather than a green.
Fiat Panda choice - doctorchris
Just looked at the colours on the Fiat website, Easy Listening Green looks terrible.
Yes it is a bit bright. Reminds me of the kermit green that 2CV used to be available in. I think the 1.2 is probably better that the 1.1 for the extra cost. Ideally the 1.3 Multijet Diesel is top choice but few around and price premium. Not sure if a diesel in such confined quarters may be too noisy.
Great little cars though, very sturdy and some personality that the rivals such as Charade lack.
Fiat Panda choice - PandaFan
I have had a 1.2 Dynamic (SkyDome) since new and have done nearly 18,000 miles. It is a fantastic car - economical (over 55mpg according to the computer) and great to drive. I can report no problems whatsover with it. It's red by the way - and the yellow is definitely a better choice than the green, which was originally called Guacomole Green - yum! Can't help you with deciding about the 1.2 or the 1.1 Active, but I think it's really nice to have a brand new car that hasn't been driven by someone else...

Excellent choice either way!!