Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - Floyd
SWMBO noticed this problem on the way home, so I assume that it only occured when she set off back home.

I checked the switch over the light was in the middle position (linked to door position) as it should be. Then pressed the switches in each of the doors + boot a few times and they seem to be OK.
The light stays on if I lock the car.
If I switch it to the OFF position and lock the car then the alarm goes off after a minute. So the fault is that there is a signal indicating that one (or more) of the doors is open, even when it isn't.
The alarm is a standard Daewoo dealer fitted one, and the car has no previous history of problems like this.
Which ever way I switch the switch on the interior light the battery is going to run flat. At the moment the car is safely in the garage with the interior light switched off.
Any suggestions on what to try next or should I take it to a professional?
Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - Steptoe
The door switches function by earthing the none live side of the interior light bulb via cable which links to them. Therefore a dirty/faulty switch can cause this problem, more annoyingly so can a short somewhere in the cable.

I once found a faulty alarm ( which of course is connected to the door switches )to cause the same fault.

Steptoe's Law; the simpler the fault the more complicated the solution
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Thanks, I'm not sure that I follow how the switch works - I'm understand push-to-make and push-to-break but that's about it! I'll take a closer look at the switches on the drivers door and the one on the boot.
Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - Civic8
Interior light has positive live feed,the switch is negative supply to bulb.meaning the switch is supplied from body - negative,you should have three position switch on interior lamp--one position/off--next on permanently--third switched by doors bonnet boot switch,ie if door open the light comes on.if alarm goes off when in off position would suggest problem elsewhere,unless a faulty switch
--
Steve
Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - Steptoe
Not sure of the Matiz switch but generally there is a centre sprung loaded plunger which is insulated from the vehicle body when door is closed. Opening door allows plunger to earth, therefore earthing and illuminating light bulb. Sadly they normally fail so they don't operate light, however it is a sensible first diagnostic check. If possible just remove switch c/w cable away from contact with door frame.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Thanks both - I understood that OK.
I removed the switch on the drivers door, there was no sign of corrosion or damage to it (it is the plunger type) - but no change. There is one under the bonnet but that also looks OK, then it got dark! I'll look at the rest tomorrow. One thing - I can't figure out where the switch is for the boot! There must be one cos the alarm goes off if you unlock the boot with the key, but there is no picture in the handbook. Could it be part of the boot locking mechanism?
Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - jc
Don't know about the Matiz but boot switches are sometimes gravity(ball bearing rolling across contacts).
Daewoo Matiz interior light stays on - Dynamic Dave
Does your interior light fade out gradually after being turned off, or does it simply go off straight away? If it incorperates a fader, then it might well be a fault with the electronics in the light assembly itself if so.
Nothing so smart as a fader on the light - it's a Mk I, lucky to have a seat for the driver!
Anyhow I fixed it - the switch in the boot (just a plunger switch like the others) - is tucked away to one side of the locking mechanism and it looks like it got pushed out of the way. I loosened the screws holding the lock in place and re-seated it. Now all is well and I saved sending for an auto-electrician for what was a minor fault.

Many thanks to all who replied.