Punctures - bhoy wonder
I got a puncture at the weekend and went to a large multi national company to have it repaired. They said it could not be repaired as the gash was more than 6mm wide and by law they could not repair the tyre and the price for a new tyre was £84.90 fully fitted (Dunlop 205/60R15 91V).

I checked the Internet and found a company Black Circles, which can arrange for the same tyre to be fully fitted for £63.78.

1.Is this large multi national telling the truth about the 6mm,as I am always suspect of these places.

2.Has anybody ever used Black Circles and are they any good.

I have a 54 plate Passat 130bhp.
Punctures - smoke
Black Circles often fit through local tyre franchises. My local tyre fitters who are appointed by black circle to fit tyres bought through them are very good. In fact they often give a discount on the black circle price if you phone them directly as opposed to buy online, and this makes them fantastic value for money.
Punctures - Carse
Hi,

I have a few colleagues who have used black circles and they rate them very highly.

Carse
Punctures - Stuartli
Was the tyre damage in the sidewall? This is a no-no repairs wise.

Tyre repairs apparently come under the BS Au 159f legislation but I can't find a copy of it other than this:

www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20031316.htm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Punctures - Dynamic Dave
I can't find a copy of British Standard BS159F either,

but there is mention of what's included here, under problem areas:-

www.practicalmotorhome.com/features/tyresafety.html

"What sort of puncture can be repaired varies from place to place, but as a general rule, any tyre with a puncture within an inch of its sidewall should be considered as scrap. Tyre sidewalls cannot be repaired. Puncture repairs are governed by a European safety standard (BS159F), and a properly repaired puncture is perfectly safe. Tyre fitters to whom we spoke said that repairing punctures on tyres which have fewer than 2mm of tread is frowned upon. Punctures over 6mm diameter are not legally repairable."

So to answer your question "Is this large multi national telling the truth about the 6mm" - yes they are.
Punctures - Roly93
2.Has anybody ever used Black Circles and are they any good.

Black Circles are okay, but Valuetyres are better www.valuetyres.co.uk
Punctures - BazzaBear {P}
And www.mytyres.co.uk are worth trying too.
Punctures - lezebre
I was very pleased with 'Etyres' mobile service, and they try to be competitive on the price and offer a good choice of brands. (Sounds like an advert, but no connection!)
Punctures - bhoy wonder
I should have worded my original question a bit better. My concern was that the large multi national that I originally took the tyre to said that the gash was larger than 6mm when he had not even taken the tyre off the car to have a good look.

Anyway took the tyre to kwik fit (yoker branch) and the service I got was first class took tyre off rim and should me the damage. Tyre could not be repaired as it was to close to the side wall of the tyre and also matched the price of black circles.