Shogun Pinin - tracey
Are there any Shogun Pinin or Pajero (3 door) owners out there that can give me some good advice, thinking of buying one soon - Apparently, they are bit uncomfortable to drive - is this the case?.... diesel or petrol whats best -also I know about the mass import of pajero's stories can you tell me where I can get a genuine one and a good bargain for any of these vehicles ? I live in London/Kent/Sussex area.
Thanking you in advance for all the advice
Re: Shogun Pinin - John S
Tracey

Don't get the Pinin. Restless, bouncy ride. See my previous comments.

Regards

John
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - Tomo
The chap two doors up has a three door. It seems too short in the wheelbase to me but he seems generally happy. If you need to go off road a bit, fine. If not - well........
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - RogerL
ALL, repeat all Pajero's are grey or personal imports, so there aren't any genuine ones in the UK.
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - KB
I had a short trip in a 5 door Pinin. Didn't think it particularly uncomfortable or bumpy. The 3door will be more bumpy than the 5. Very little room in the 3 door, 5door much more useful. If you're going for the 3door Pinin, you might as well look at the Suzuki Jimny at £8200 OTR for a UK supplied one if you shop around or look on internet. It's much better value. You can only get petrol Pinin's. I spoke to Mitsubishi and a diesel one may be made but not in the immediate future. The petrol one's not all that economical or cheap to insure compared to the Jimny. A Diesel Rav4 is the better bet, but still not cheap. Why do you want a 4X4? The Mitsubishi and Suzuki are both apparently OK off-road (Ladder chasssis on the Suzy and good ground clearance on both, plus low ratio gearbox on both). The Rav4 is not so well thought of off-road. BUT........are you going to take it off-road??? If not, then theres a huge choice of cheaper, better handling motors to choose from. Perhaps you want it due to your location ie. remote area/bad weather considerations?

On the other hand, perhaps you just fancy one - in which case - why not? I would have thought the Toyota Rav4 was worth a look if you can afford it. They are probably the most "car like" 4X4 and you can't usually go wrong with Toyota.

Don't get a Pajero unless you do your homework first.
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - tracey
Dear KB

Thank you for your useful comments, I will certainly think again before
deciding on a Mitshibishi 4x4. I live in London and have a Mitsh Colt at the moment, will be moving to countryside this year so I did quite like to idea for weather and Ive got two dogs so do alot of countryside visits. Years ago I had a Daihatsu 4x4 which was great I love being up high in these vehicles.

Once again thanks for your valuable comments.

I will certainly look into the Toyota Rav4 on your recommendation.

Tracey
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - Honest John
Pinins are excellent off road and in snow.

HJ
Tracey, You're welcome.
If you're moving out a bit and have dogs and questioned the possibility of diesel, then there's one further thought I'd leave you with. Others will have heard it before, so apologies to them for repetition.

Renault Kangoo Trekka 4X4 1.9 dci diesel. Van based estate using Clio chassis and other running gear. Alloys, ABS, twin airbags, power steering, central locking, optional Air Con. Stout bumpers, rubber mats (for the dogs). Using Nissan based 4X4 drive system which runs in 2WD until it senses slippage, when it goes into 4WD. See HJ's Car by Car breakdown pages on this site. The petrol will be £10995 and the diesel £11995, (less a bit of discount) when it comes out in the next month or so. The 2WD Kangoo has been out in van and estate form for a couple of years but the 4X4 is new. No matter how tall you or the dogs are, you won't bang your head on the roof of this one. Acres of room inside.

Very different from Pinin/Rav4 but you might start a trend and you certainly won't be accused of following the usual 4X4 route which tends to take a bit of stick on all sorts of grounds. However, as I said - Your money, spend it how you will, you can't take it with you.
Thank you again for more excellent advice, Im so glad I found this website (Autotrader mag).

I would like a diesel, friends have said it will be good value etc, however, I wont be buying new maybe 2/3 year old, so in your opinion given the reasons I have stated, dogs, weather, high up, countryside (and town), if you were getting a 4 x 4 vehicle which make, model (I only want two doors) would you go for? Putting you on the spot? You sound like a person with much vehicle experience and logic and I would appreciate your final opinion on what I should go for - reliability, road worthiness, economical, reasonable insurance and fuel saving.......

Mini?

Thanks

Tracey
Tracey, MUCH too kind by far! Your last post has, usefully, refined your requirements to (a) Used, not new. (b) 2 door higher driving position 4X4 capable of dealing wth bad weather and by the looks of it, the qualities of reliability and economy figure pretty stongly too. The only thing missing is how much you want to pay. However, I the new shape RAV4 (and therefore diesel option) is well out coz it's not been out that long. I still say the cheapest option is a used Suzuki Jimny - plenty about and most have not been off-road. Look for a low mileage lady owner (not that unusual). A new one can be had for £8200, so remember that when looking. Capable off-road and not bad on-road. See my previous comments using "search" on this site re. Gloucester Police using them as Rural Patrol vehicles. I spoke to a Pc. who is using one and he's over the moon with it. 30 something to the gallon, reliable and not too dear to service. 3 year warranty on new, so balance of outstanding still available. Not much room in the back. No good for family, but OK for one/two plus 2 dogs with seats down. Most mod cons but no ABS. Practical and quite cute looking.

After that I'd say 2 door old shape RAV4 petrol (no diesel option). Definitely dearer all round than Suzy but sensible option and better for longer journeys.

After that I'd say Pinin,(again, no diesel option) but they are not going to be that cheap to buy as they've not been out very long. Italian made, but should be reliable. Similar running costs as Rav4, but very capable in bad weather and off-road (ladder chassis and good ground clearance - same as Jimny). Pinin is 1800cc, Jimny is 1300cc, (cheapest to insure), RAV4 is 2 litre and definitely the quickest (almost a 4X4 Gti), and sportiest.

You're probably better off at Main dealers for the best examples of these motors if you're not too hot on spotting a dog.

So, it depends how much you're spending - but I still think the Suzy's worth a look. No problem new, but make sure you get a good one if used (same applies to the others of course). Jimny 1300cc (cheapest to insure), Pinin is 1800cc, RAV4 is 2litre, definitely the quickest and sportiest (almost a 4X4Gti).

Have a look, see what you think. They're all fairly sensible, given what you've said, but others may well have other ideas. If you've enough for the Jimny, that's where my money would go - but drive one first.
KB

once again a big thank you for all your brilliant advice, I am certainly going to check out the Suzuki Jimny (despite people saying stear clear of suzuki vitaris). I'm raising finance for about #6/7 ??(dont know if this will get me a Jimny second?? I wish I could afford more obviously, but there you go..Im sure I will get something nice for the budget anyhow. My father lives in Somerset has just got a 4x4 (not sure the name etc, lady owner, low mileage a few years old for #4,500, for cash she drop a #1,000!! what a bargain, dad said its spotless etc.

thanks

T
Re: Shogun Pinin/ Pajero - Jeremy
Hello Tracy

I certainly think the advice from KB is good. I bought a new Jimny for my wife. She has horses and large dog with all the usual mud, muck straw etc. She also does quite short journeys unfortunately. I find the Jimny excellent. Easy to powerwash and clean inside. Ours does approx 40 mpg and is very nippy.

We have the soft top model. We find the rear door fiddly to open for the dog etc., and you might wish to look at the hard-top version purely for this. On the other hand, soft-top excellent in summer, just fold back front roof piece for instant aircon!

We also live in Somerset. Try RW Humphries at Bath for good s/h or new deal on Jimnys

regards,
Jeremy
Sorry about the spot of duplication towards the end - haven't quite mastered the technology yet.

KB
Last word then, otherwise we'll be accused of hogging the network. You'll get a recent low mileage Jimny for up to £7k which should/must be in as new condition, but you won't get such a recent Pinin/Rav4, obviously. The early Vitara's and SJ's did have a bad name, but things have picked up since then. Take someone with you when you buy, preferably him indoors, or someone who looks the part, and even better knows how to spot a dodgy one, some dealers might be less than scrupulous with a lone female. Ring round the Main dealers, avoid back street ones and preferably buy out of London. Check Exchange and Mart and try the internet to get some phone numbers and a feel for price/mileage/year. It should be one owner, get their phone number and ring them to find out why they sold it, if buying from a dealer. If private seller seller, go to their house rather than meet on neutral ground. check all the papework. Do an HPI check. All basic stuff to stop you getting ripped off.

Good luck.
PS. Don't forget to let us know what you got. Would be interested.

KB.