Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - AK76
I was wondering why people get so worried about fuel consumption and less concerned about other costs for the car that negate any saving?

It seems a lot of people buy a diesel but dont think about either depreciation or cost of servicing, or just other general running costs.

Sometimes it appears that people are so set on getting a diesel they dont think about alternative petrol models that might either a) depreciate less or b) cost less to run on other costs.

What do others think?
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - nutty_nissan
Dude,

I totally agree. A guy at work drives a 02 VW Golf GTI PDi..

Anyway, he's on really good money, but seems to be stingy as hell. Point is that he has saved up a wad of cash and is thinking of getting either an M3 or a 350Z. He was going on and on about how he had 25 grand saved up and he was gonna get a really nice car to drive.

So I said how are you going to stomach the 20mpg or less you will get driving these performance cars? He almost fainted!

Anyway, he's now decided to stick with the diesel as he values fuel economy above everything else!

Fuel economy is only a genuine issue if you do above average miles. Most people buying nearly new cars pay far more in depreciation than fuel bills each year. You work hard for your cash, and then your invest into a depreciating asset..Not for me anymore..
Oh yeah the Golf driver does about 4,000 miles a year.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Roger Jones
I guess people worry about fuel costs because they hit their wallet every week, not every year as in servicing or every several years as in depreciation.

There's always the hope that servicing costs will not be inflated by repairs, and the hope that you'll get a good price when you sell.

The relationship with the car is not exactly rational; if it were, how many would shell out their own hard-earned for a new car, which is bound to lose thousands within a couple of years.

Those buying new cars often seem more concerned to avoid the £700 cost of replacing tyres and exhaust system than about the £7000 that's gone down the depreciation drain in a couple of years.

All that said, my annual fuel bill is over £3000 -- hardly trivial.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - wantone
how many like for like cars do you know of where the petrol decreciates slower than the diesel. most cars you see advertised would normally have lots more people going for the diesel engine cant see how that would make them worth less money than the petrol!!
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Sprice
Yeah, diesel is a better long term 'investment' over the equivalent petrol model, seems to be the particular case with VW's.
But they cost more to buy and so the depreciation is offset by quite a bit.

Do they cost more to service and do they require shorter intervals between servicing than petrol cars?
I suppose this is all relative to one's disposable income, and a matter of priorities too.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - nortones2
Some, perhaps the majority, of diesels cost more to buy, but not all. Shouldn't cost more to service and as to intervals, diesels are nowadays on identical or longer service intervals than petrol.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - madf
"Fuel economy is only a genuine issue if you do above average miles"

There is a one word reply I could use but the swear filter etc.

If you drive a car which is immaculate but because of its age is worthless - a sub £1,000 "banger" - the only running costs are: MOT/Tax/Insurance/maintenance.. and fuel.

SWBO has a 13 year old car. It is immaculate and DIY'd Value £500 at most. Her bill for MOT/Tax /Insurance/MOT and DIY is..quick sum £500 tops a year.
Fuel bill? £550.

If it was not a diesel fuel bill would double - average journey length is 1.5 miles.

So I'm sorry but the above sweeping generalisation is not true..

Depreciation? What is that?

Of course if you buy a £30k peugeot or a £40k citroen, or a £150K Bentley.. but then money does not matter as you are effectivley tearing up pound notes when you sign on the line.
madf
how many miles does she do Madf and what car is it?
I suppose it also depends upon how you use the car. Again, my own personal situation, but I tend to use the car for longer trips only. Up to 5 miles, then I will walk, cycle or use public transport.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - L'escargot
What Car? quote 41.9 p/mile for both a 2 litre (petrol) Ghia Focus and a similar spec 2 litre Ghia TDCi over 3 years and 36000 miles. Similar 0-60 time and similar top speed. On this basis I couldn't see any reason for me to buy a noisy smelly diesel when I could have a quiet petrol.
--
L\'escargot.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - takson
I have a 320d which is not noisy inside, doesn't smell and gives me 20 more to the gallon than my old 325 it replaces.

Admittedly I wouldn't buy a convertible diesel and would have a petrol if I didn't do 45k a year.

For me it is a no brainer.

I can't quite remember the cut off, but for most cars the change over for a diesel car being cheaper to run comes in at about 15 - 18k miles a year. Under this purchase price comes into it, but over this the saving in petrol cost makes it worth while.

Mind you , if I didn't have to buy my own fuel it might be something like an 02 M3 on the drive as they seem to have dropped price in a big way in the last 6 months.
0 to 60 might be the same but thats where it ends.petrol gets hammered by diesel in every other way thats the reason for a smelly diesel.
everyday driving not santa pod grid starts.
<< petrol gets hammered by diesel in every other way ....

Such as?
--
L\'escargot.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Collos25
Well spoken
What Car? quote 41.9 p/mile for both a 2 litre (petrol)
Ghia Focus and a similar spec 2 litre Ghia TDCi over
3 years and 36000 miles. Similar 0-60 time and similar top
speed. On this basis I couldn't see any reason for me
to buy a noisy smelly diesel when I could have a
quiet petrol.

And if the 0-60 time is similar then it's a fair bet that the 30-60 time will be similar too. After all, you have to pass through 30 to get to 60. To my way of thinking this casts serious doubts on the claims that a diesel has better mid-range acceleration than a petrol.

--
L\'escargot.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Ben79
And if the 0-60 time is similar then it's a fair
bet that the 30-60 time will be similar too. After all,
you have to pass through 30 to get to 60. To
my way of thinking this casts serious doubts on the claims
that a diesel has better mid-range acceleration than a petrol.

Have you driven a diesel? The 0-20 time is slower than a petrol, mid gear acceleration beats the petrol, but more gear changes are needed to get to 60, few diesels will do 60 in 2nd, whereas many petrol cars will. Hence a diesel has faster 20/30 to 60 time.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - RichardW
I worry about it!

I do about 22,500 miles a year in a Xantia 1.9 TD. At an average 40 MPG, this costs me about £2400 at current price of 94ppl. I could have bought a 1.8 Xantia (nearest equivalent engine output), which would do about 30mpg, costing me about £3100 per year, at current price of 91ppl. The TD cost about £500 more than a petrol one, so I have more than saved the differential in the cost in less than a year - and the TD is still worth considerably more than the petrol car would be. Over 3 years and and over 60,000 miles I have saved nearly £2000 (diesel was only 75ppl a while ago, is that just my mind playing tricks on me??) - nearly the cost of the 2 Xantia TDs I have bought.

I could buy a Xantia HDi 110, which would do about 50 mpg. This would reduce the fuel bill to around £1900 pa, saving nearly £500. However, as the cost to change up to an HDi is still hovering about £2000, it's a long way off being 'financially viable'. Still, I might buy one anyway to reduce my contributions to HMG. Oh, and despite using 25% less fuel, it's faster. Nice.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - daveyjp

The alternative petrol model to a VAG 2.0TDi in terms of everyday performance is the 3.2 V6 petrol. This costs about 25% more than the TDi, uses twice as much fuel, needs servicing more often at a higher cost, costs more in road tax, has a higher insurance group and depreciates rapidly.

In my case (20,000 miles this year) the petrol equivalent was a no brainer.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - reevsie
But you could argue that while modern commonrail diesels return supberb fuel economy, when they go wrong they go wrong in a big way, thereby negating any savings due to fuel efficiency.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - AlanGowdy
It might be worth pointing out that many (myself included) bought diesels for a number of other reasons too. The effortless mid-range overtaking performance and relaxed low-rev motorway cruising played their part too. The fuel economy was a worthwhile bonus.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - madf
SWMO's car is a 1993 Peugeot 106 1.4Diesel. Approx 55mpg . Done 45k miles. 5 door XRD.
0-60 is v slow about 18 secs but irrelevant for a town car..(It has been to Scotland .. flat out all the way.)
Apart from consumables and 1 driveshaft, it's mechanically as new.

If we drove a petrol car the way it has been, the engine would have died due to petrol washing the oil from the bores at statup.. and in practically all running:-) It burns negligible oil and starts first time.

Because it's a low tech diesel, DIY is very simple.
madf
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Xileno {P}
I don't think one person has mentioned environmental reasons.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Sofa Spud
I was just about to....

I don't know the relative proportions of petrol and diesel fuel that can be obtained from a barrel of crude but if vehicles are more economical, all other things being equal, the finite oil reserves will last that bit longer.

Biodiesel, though it may never be available in the quantities needed to replace mineral diesel, will help to eke out its reserves for that much longer.

My diesel Passat has done 156,000 miles and still runs very well except when the ECU has the occasional wobble. Exhaust systems tend to last considerably longer on diesels.

I don't think I'd buy another petrol car. I particularly like the mid-range torque. OK, a diesel is more rattly and vibrates a bit more, but you don't hear the sound of the exhaust so much!

Cheers, SS

Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Sofa Spud
People are prepared to spend extra on their cars - whether going for the diesel option or forking out a few hundred quid for alloy wheels which may look good but they're of marginal benefit on an ordinary road car.

Cheers, SS
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - MichaelR
It's a largely pshyscological thing.

I had a Xantia 1.9TD. It did 35mpg around town. This was good. It meant I filled up less often and generally felt chuffed.

Now I have a 2.0 16v Mondeo. It does..... less than that around town. I now fill up more and think 'damn, when I had a diesel...'

However when you actually add up the saving it was virtually nothing, few hundred quid a year at most? Thats irrelevent compared to other costs, hell I spent £320 on a set of tyres.

Enough to make me think that, as a 2nd year Uni student, its time for the V6..
Most families waste hundreds of pounds a year on gadgets they use a few times at most. Things like exercise equipment, or kitchen appliances that sounded good in the sale etc. or even clothes that are worn once. How many folks do you know who sign up to annual gym membership on 2nd January, go a few times, and then never utilise the rest of the membership? Some of the same people then put huge amounts of effort into reducing fuel bills. Go figure!
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - bumbler
Hi All,

I run a Vauxhall Astra 1.7dti for economy's sake. I seem to average about 50mpg. Recently I had a courtesy car on loan, an S reg Passat 1.8 petrol which did about 29mph as far as I could tell.

Why I'm writing is that I found the Passat much nicer to drive than the Astra. The petrol power band meant that I could trickle along at 35mph in fifth and pull away easily without changing gear. On my local twisty roads this was a great boon as I could often go for 20 miles or so without having to change gear.

I did notice the lack of acceleration in the mid ranges but that means little to a steady type of driver like me. If petrol engines were as economical as diesels, there's no doubt about what I'd drive.
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - TheGrocer
Hey AK
If you work on the assumption that, with the exception of vintage cars, you will ALLWAYS lose money on a car over 3 years of ownership. Just go for the driving performance and MPG. The MB 320 CDI delivers both.
Firstly, i'm not anti-diesel. In fact one of the real world cars that i desire the most is the BMW 330d Sport.

However, i would still rather have the 330i Sport. The reason? Its the sound, and has more performance as well as driving pleasure.

My arguement? Yes, in terms of torque a diesel does feel quite quick. But driving pleasure is so much better in the equivalent petrol model. I've yet to drive a diesel model that was nicer to drive than the petrol equivalent. As mentioned above - the 320CDI. I'd rather have the E350. Or for that matter the E280.

Same with the VW. The 2.0 TDI petrol was mentioned. And then it was said the nearest equivalent is the 3.2 V6. Thats rubbish. The 2.0T FSI is the equivalent. Not a lot more to buy, run or insure.

Its not about the 0-60 i agree, but the engines sound sooo much nicer when they are petrol, more relaxed power, rather than on-off boost, and the fact revs tend to run out at 5000 max on diesels makes for a very coarse driving experience in my experience. Not to mention the soot.

On economics of fuel useage, no arguements. On the basis of long term cost most wouldnt benefit that much. But then you're into the LPG arguement if its purely about cost.

Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - machika
Petrol engines are not more relaxed for motorway cruising. No soot if there is a particle filter either.

Same with the VW. The 2.0 TDI petrol was mentioned. And then it was said the nearest equivalent is the 3.2 V6. Thats rubbish. The 2.0T FSI is the equivalent. Not a lot more to buy, run or insure.

id say the nearest equivalent was the 2.0 fsi wouldnt you!! not a turbo petrol that does about 25 to a gallon with a heavy foot
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - patently
Firstly, i'm not anti-diesel. In fact one of the real world
cars that i desire the most is the BMW 330d Sport.
However, i would still rather have the 330i Sport. The reason?
Its the sound, and has more performance as well as driving
pleasure.

I did that. I persuaded myself that the 330Cd was the ideal choice, for all the best reasons. So I went to test drive it, but there was something wrong; something missing. I think that without the right noises at the right moments, I just didn't get the feedback I needed to have confidence in the car, and that made it feel wrong, as a coupe. And when we got back, we parked it next to a spookily identical demonstrator, so I asked what was different about it - why two?

It was a 330Ci... so off we went. Mmmmmmmmm....... There is now a 330Ci on the drive, not a 330Cd. And I love it!

But anyway, to return to mpg. Last week I made a real effort with the mpg and achieved a new personal record. After, I had a real sense of satisfaction.

After all, I've never got the 911 as low as 10mpg, but the performance on track was absolutely fantastic ;-)
Why be bothered about fuel consumption? - Happy Blue!
Of course its illogical to think about fuel consumption when depreciation is far bigger. But once the purchase is made, then one does try to minimise costs. Sometimes the purchase decision is not you own, as mine wasn't, so the biggest cost for me is fuel.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?