Small car wanted - Doc
I am in the market for a small car.
I want good handling, a good ride, and a car that has character and is fun to drive with reasonable performance.
I don't need E/windows, alloys or E/mirrors, but would like remote C/L.

I have driven the Polo, Fiesta, and Corsa, all of which I found uninspiring and bland.

I recently drove the new Micra and was impressed by the ride and performance. ( I'm not mad about the styling however)
The yaris looks like it might fit the bill, but I have not been in one yet. I thought I might get a good deal on one as the new model is due soon.

Any suggestions?

Small car wanted - AngryJonny
You might want to consider a Yaris T-Sport if your budget will stretch to it. A good friend of mine has one and every so often I'm lucky enough to get to drive it. It's a real wheel-in-each-corner style responsive little car, the 1.5 VVTI engine delivers good economy and performance when needed, and the Yaris still looks great. I didn't consider one because I like big saloons with all the trimmings, but if you want a buzzy little car with great handling I think you'll struggle to do better.
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Small car wanted - PandaFan
How about the (new) Fiat Panda? Great car to drive and economical to run. Highly recommended!
Small car wanted - mare
Any suggestions?

Two:

A) We have a Citroen C3 SX, which is comfy and has OK performance. It's very roomy and characterful.

Apparently the diesel ones can get 70mpg on a run. My is a 1400 petrol (8v) and I can get high thirties most of the time and 45mpg on a run.

B) Lot of people on here like the Honda Jazz, never even sat in one myself.
Small car wanted - mare
Forgot to say, apparently Jazz holds it value very well, meaning that they're expensive to buy.

In contrast, C3's are cheap (well the petrol ones anyway). Mine was 54 reg with 5,000 miles on the clock and i bought it for £7,500 from a main dealer. At the time that was just above broker price.
Small car wanted - Doc
B) Lot of people on here like the Honda Jazz, never
even sat in one myself.

Is there not a problem with the ride on the Jazz?

Small car wanted - machika
The ride is good on the latest Jazz. The seats might not be so good, if you have a dodgy back. Apart from that, it is hard to fault, but the price is high.
Small car wanted - Roberson
What about the Renault Clio? With the newer edition coming out soon, you might be able to get a good deal on the existing model.

My sister has a 1.2 16v, which is a good performer and quite thrifty with the petrol.

I have also had a new Nissan Micra (1.2) for a couple of weeks as a hire car. I too thought the performance was good (perhaps not as good as the Clio) but unlike you, I was very disappointed with the ride which I thought was too bouncy and fidgety too much of the time. Likewise, I wasn't too inspired by engine refinement either, with the engine note verging on the thrashy if it was pushed too far round the rev counter. However, interior space was excellent.

?Fun to drive? and ?character? are factors which vary from person to person, so try the Clio out and see what you think, but personally, I thought the Clio was a better car in many areas.
Small car wanted - Citroënian {P}
Doc, you don't mention a budget - if you can stretch to it, a MINI would fit the bill. Prices are softening on early ones now, but high residuals make a new one not a bad proposition either.

We had one for a couple of years and you couldn't fault its handling or character and the drive certainly isn't unispiring and bland.

Let us know which way you jump
-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
Small car wanted - pafosman
evening all! Hertz substituted the Fiesta I had booked for the new Panda with the 1.2 diesel in southern Italy two weeks ago. Very impressed. Not sure if the diesel is available in the UK yet. Loved the 'city power steering' button on the dash, very useful in the pretty walled towns of Puglia. Is definately worth a test drive IMHO.

steve
Small car wanted - tyro
Would you consider a Ford Ka?
Great fun, character, & handling. Definitely small!
Ride is not too bad - but whether performance meets your requirements might be questionable - but it's faster than all Pandas (bar the diesel)
I don't know if they do one with central locking.
Small car wanted - Doc
Thank you for all the replies.

My short list so far is Micra, MINI, Yaris.

Small car wanted - madf
Diesel Yaris is v good to drive. Post 2002 - tears in headlamp- model are best. Pulls well, nice interior, good ride and v comfortable. Gettin in and out is easy - big doors. 5 door best
Sliding rear seat enlarges boot - post 2002 control of this is MUCH better than old one.
Personally I would not bother with 1.5, the 1.4 diesel is better in town and more restful to drive and much better over speed humps.

Mini is far too cramped for me. premium price for style. Yaris tops for reliability.

madf
Small car wanted - Avant
Elder daughter's 1.3 Yaris is a hoot to drive and so far (22,000 miles) completely reliable, touch wood. For one who professes to know nothing about cars she has chosen well - the same applied to the Ford Ka she had before.

You;'ll either love or loathe a MINI - try one. SWMBO and I have had a good test drive and we loved it - but make sure you don't need more room than there is.

If you need space, go for the Jazz - performance is perfectly adequate but the Yaris, MINI and Ka are all more fun to drive.

I'd suggest that you always go for the bigger engine option where there is one - the smaller one struggles and because it has to work harder it's no more economical.
Small car wanted - PhilW
How about the C2?? HJ is quite complimentary about the base spec model.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=101
Son has the 1.4HDi and loves it. Very economical but quite lively and, for a small car, well able to hold its own on the motorway.
Phil
Small car wanted - barchettaman
Try the Panda, Doc. It´ll be worth a testdrive.
Small car wanted - Truckosaurus
If you want fun and excitment what about a Clio 182 (or earlier 172 as a used buy) or slightly more sensibly, either a Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia both with the 130bhp diesel engine.