Safety idea for motoring - patents? - Chips with everything
I believe that I have had an idea which would save 1000's of lives every year and wish to submit it to the motor manufacturers.

Can I patent an idea? Or do I actually have to find a way of constructing a prototype and patenting that?

Obviously I'm totally in the dark as to this (no that's not a clue!), but any feedback would be warmly welcomed.

Many thanks in advance,

Chips.
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - L'escargot
As far as I know a description, with drawings/sketches if necessary, is all that is required.
--
L\'escargot.
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - L'escargot
As far as I know a description, with drawings/sketches if necessary,
is all that is required.

Better still, see www.patent.gov.uk/patent/howtoapply/
--
L\'escargot.
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
There was a guy who used to write to Motor magazine many years ago about his idea without revealing details.
Eventually turned out to be a three door saloon -i.e. no rear passenger door on off side.
Caught on didn't it?
Apart from a few Friday cars at Longbridge.

Good luck with the idea.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - Stuartli
Further, some useful advice:

www.cipa.org.uk/pages/advice-patents

www.out-law.com/page-5288

www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId...4
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - Chips with everything
Thanks all!

Looks like I've got some reading to do!
Safety idea for motoring - patents? - patently
Sorry to come late to this thread, Chips.

Get expert advice on patenting. It is not straightforward. The link to the Chartered Institute is in one of the posts above, and they will be able to let you know when the next 'clinic' is being held. This is a chance to speak to a qualified patent attorney for free.

Also, most firms of patent attorneys will happily give an initial consulation without charge or obligation. Others will sometimes agree to review and adjust a draft application that you plan to file, which may cost less initially depending on how good your draft is.

Last word: don't disclose the idea until either (i) the application is on file at the Patent Office or (ii) you are absolutely certain that it isn't patentable.