heater trouble - 1991 vw golf - frankieyeha
i have trouble with the heating in my car which is a 91 vw golf 16 gtd mk2. someone told me it might be the heater bypass valve can someone describe what it looks like or email me a photo of one. my heater will work as normal until it gets to normal running temp then it goes cold if i turn it off for a bit and turn it back on its fine. its not the thermostat i replaced it and checked it. has someone any other ideas?

{mobile phone text language edited out and amended. You are not limited to 160 characters here, as you are with a mobile. DD}
heater trouble - 1991 vw golf - jdeari
I used to have a Jetta 1.6 and more or less the same thing happened. I was told this was originally a recall item and VW sell the parts in a kit. The faulty bit is where the two hoses go into the heater, one attaches to a valve. It is very easy to change, as I remember you need a screwdriver.
heater trouble - 1991 vw golf - sp30
sounds like you already have the bypass valve fitted jessica, it was a retro fit that vw did as when the heater failed it srayed steam/hot water into the passenger foot well, you have a heater matrix fault and replacement is your only option. i can e-mail you a detailed method of doing this as i did it my self two years ago. the haines manual suggests dashboard removal but with some carefull planning this can be avoided. the bypass valve is an alloy unit near the bulkhead that intersects the two black heater feed pipes . but it sounds like its doing its job, as it senses lack of pressure in the matrix. hope i have helped golfs belong on our roads sandra.
(sp30)>>>force without the aid of judgement will collapse through its own mass.<<<
heater trouble - 1991 vw golf - frankieyeha
will you email me the way to take the matrix out thanks its frankie200484@hotmail.com thanks frankie